Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 32 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, wanderer said:

This will ONLY be Dynamo and Shakhtar players, Ukraine can not call upon foreign based players, as FIFA rules state clubs are under no obligation to release players outside of the international window.

Effectively this will be a squad of 12-15 players from Shakhtar and Dynamo getting together with the national team manger for a weeks training camp before going back to their clubs for more friendly games.

Any upper hand they get as a result of this will be small.... as the domestic based players will still be well short of match ready action.

Cheers for clarifying that mate, was not totally clear..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Does this mean Scotland could have 5 games in two weeks in June?

Potentially yes, Ukraine in the Nations League has been moved to September, so its now Ukraine (play off) - Wales - Armenia (h) - ROI (a) - Armenia (a) in June, and Ukraine (h) - Ireland (h) - Ukraine (a) in September.

Edited by wanderer

Just now, runningtings said:

They are taking the piss not having it at the Millennium stadium really. Want to give us the bare minimum tickets.

Welsh fans seem more up in arms that it is the conference play off final that day, and Wrexham City could be playing in that than the play off final played in the stadium they have used exclusively as there home ground for best part of over a decade now.

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

They are taking the piss not having it at the Millennium stadium really. Want to give us the bare minimum tickets.

Why ?? Wales have a great home record playing at the Cardiff city stadium. No chance they would give up that advantage. 

A smaller packed out venue with home fans close to pitch probably makes it more intimidating for away teams. 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Welsh fans seem more up in arms that it is the conference play off final that day, and Wrexham City could be playing in that than the play off final played in the stadium they have used exclusively as there home ground for best part of over a decade now.

Cardiff City?

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

This will ONLY be Dynamo and Shakhtar players, Ukraine can not call upon foreign based players, as FIFA rules state clubs are under no obligation to release players outside of the international window.

Effectively this will be a squad of 12-15 players from Shakhtar and Dynamo getting together with the national team manger for a weeks training camp before going back to their clubs for more friendly games.

Any upper hand they get as a result of this will be small.... as the domestic based players will still be well short of match ready action.

we struggled quite badly against an ad-hoc Czech "C" side a few years back , so although we have improved since (am led to believe...) will still be a very tough match

Bit disappointed with all of the bickering on here gents, christ if we want to read a forum with a load of digs & personal insults we would all just follow the BBC's forums after a Scotland game. 

The point made by big Ramy & the saint about Ukraine being disrespectful, i don't get myself. It was a tabloid report about not much as far as i see. There is no doubt that the majority of football supporters from the west will be hoping Ukraine beat us & Wales but i would expect the appointed referee will be a strong & professional one. 

As for the Ukrainian delegation celebrating after the draw i didn't  see it so i can't comment but i know if our name had come out to play Ukraine when potentially drawing Portugal or Italy was possible i think even Stevie C might have found it hard not to crack a wee smile ☺️

Anyway now the dates are finally confirmed let's focus on all getting behind the team & talking about whats most important, who replaces 2 of our most dangerous attacking threats in Patterson & Tierney. I was hoping for a mid June date to give at least one of them a better chance of making it. 

If Hickey continues to play right wing back for Bologna i think he deserves to start this game as he is much better going forward than O'donnell. The left is arguably tricker, neither Cooper or McKenna have the ability to overlap like KT. 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

I doubt that they will be together solid for the whole of May, more a week with the Dynamo and Shakhtar players joining up (as Dynamo have more friendlies to play, including a game v Dinamo Zagreb)... suppose it not really any different when the likes of Finland or Slovakia announce games that are played in January in Middle East, which are made up of domestic based players.

Its already been confirmed that players from clubs outside of Ukraine will not be called upon, this is just for domestic based players.

Thought when it suited we were being told that most of their players played in Ukraine. Now when they are pulling a fast one, it's suddenly ONLY for the home based players. Do they not make up the bulk of their team all of a sudden. 

I don't see this anywhere but we might potentially have 5 games within two weeks, but we definitely have 4 confirmed

Ukraine H - June 1st

Wales A - dependent on the above - June 5th

Armenia H - June 8th

Rep of Ireland A - June 11th

Armenia A - June 14th

33 man squad - no kidding but as it is two separate tournaments I hope we include as many players as possible.  Also if we make it to the World Cup, as much fun as it was seeing the conga line I hope we have learned and wont have a drunken party till all hours on the evening of the 5th. 

Edited by romanticscot

19 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Bit disappointed with all of the bickering on here gents, christ if we want to read a forum with a load of digs & personal insults we would all just follow the BBC's forums after a Scotland game. 

The point made by big Ramy & the saint about Ukraine being disrespectful, i don't get myself. It was a tabloid report about not much as far as i see. There is no doubt that the majority of football supporters from the west will be hoping Ukraine beat us & Wales but i would expect the appointed referee will be a strong & professional one. 

As for the Ukrainian delegation celebrating after the draw i didn't  see it so i can't comment but i know if our name had come out to play Ukraine when potentially drawing Portugal or Italy was possible i think even Stevie C might have found it hard not to crack a wee smile ☺️

Anyway now the dates are finally confirmed let's focus on all getting behind the team & talking about whats most important, who replaces 2 of our most dangerous attacking threats in Patterson & Tierney. I was hoping for a mid June date to give at least one of them a better chance of making it. 

If Hickey continues to play right wing back for Bologna i think he deserves to start this game as he is much better going forward than O'donnell. The left is arguably tricker, neither Cooper or McKenna have the ability to overlap like KT. 

I’m no a Hearts fan but my laddie is so I see a lot of Hearts. By far and away the best player to replace Tierney would be Stephen Kingsley. Left sided centre-back who also overlaps to great effect. 
He’s having a great season but no chance Clarke would throw him in to these matches.