Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

21 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Going to guess that they move the playoff dates to the 1st two June dates, replacing Armenia (H) and Ukraine (H). 

Chances are that the Armenia (H) game could shift to the date that we are due to play Ukraine (A) in the event that Ukraine have to pull out of the play-offs and NL. 

If Ukraine are able to fulfil the fixtures then it becomes more of a challenge to squeeze things in. 

That is what the guy who tweeted the info is suggesting.

A986BAAE-1E71-403E-B11F-0AF75A8880A8.thumb.png.617367e3072dbd42f4dc66d4d7bb8920.png

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Mushet84 said:

If it were up to me, I would make our game against Ukraine on the 7/6/2022 a winner takes all game for both the nations cup 3 points and the semi final qualifier.  This would help ease congestion on the amount of games and the fixture is set in place anyway.  Id then propose that the final would be the week after the last nations cup against Armenia.   I would scrap the friendly fixtures to take place between the 2 losers of the semi finals.  This means all the games would go ahead as usual and we would have approx. 1 week after the last game against Armenia on the 14.6.2022 to prepare.  I see this as causing little to no changes for all travelling supporters.

Makes sense - good idea. 

And if Ukraine can't play in June, then it should also mean that Scotland win 'both' games.

43 minutes ago, Mushet84 said:

If it were up to me, I would make our game against Ukraine on the 7/6/2022 a winner takes all game for both the nations cup 3 points and the semi final qualifier.  This would help ease congestion on the amount of games and the fixture is set in place anyway.  Id then propose that the final would be the week after the last nations cup against Armenia.   I would scrap the friendly fixtures to take place between the 2 losers of the semi finals.  This means all the games would go ahead as usual and we would have approx. 1 week after the last game against Armenia on the 14.6.2022 to prepare.  I see this as causing little to no changes for all travelling supporters.

So, if we got through to the play-off final, we would play 5 matches in June?

Edited by Rich NATA

Just pointing out that the two matches we have against Ukraine are in different competitions and in different formats.

The WC playoff is a FIFA competition and is a knockout match played to a finish on the night, where the winner goes through.

The Nations League game is a UEFA competition which finishes after 90 minutes and where points are awarded.  I suspect that other countries might have an issue with this "two for the price of one" deal and bearing in mind because of the format of the Nations League that doesnt start and end with our section.

The most likely scenario is that the Play Offs will be played in June and the Nations League games will be played in November, probably in the slots reserved for WC warm ups.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

On radio this morning that the Wales-Austria game is being moved too. Glad of that as they would have one less game to play in the June

I read in the last hour it is staying in place. 

https://nation.cymru/sport/potential-world-cup-play-off-final-for-wales-postponed-until-june-as-scotland-ukraine-match-moved/

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Just pointing out that the two matches we have against Ukraine are in different competitions and in different formats.

The WC playoff is a FIFA competition and is a knockout match played to a finish on the night, where the winner goes through.

The Nations League game is a UEFA competition which finishes after 90 minutes and where points are awarded.  I suspect that other countries might have an issue with this "two for the price of one" deal and bearing in mind because of the format of the Nations League that doesnt start and end with our section.

The most likely scenario is that the Play Offs will be played in June and the Nations League games will be played in November, probably in the slots reserved for WC warm ups.

We will have loads of time to play them in November or December when the World Cup is on. 😉

Somebody mentioned being selfish earlier. 

This postponement suits me fine. As things stood I was going to miss the playoff final (if we got there). Can't get much more selfish than that? 

Well done UEFA/FIFA or whoever made the decision. 😉

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

This postponement suits me fine. As things stood I was going to miss the playoff final (if we got there). Can't get much more selfish than that? 

We still have no official word on any decision and subsequent disruption to the Nations League yet. 

J

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

TBH, I'd rather Wales-Austria played this month.

Then, we the fans would at least know where we would play if we got to the final (instead of finding out 4 days beforehand).

Still cant really book anything till you know if we win though so not a huge advantage .
I am not too chuffed about it though I can understand the desire to disrupt as few games as possible . 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Still cant really book anything till you know if we win though so not a huge advantage .
I am not too chuffed about it though I can understand the desire to disrupt as few games as possible . 

You could book a hotel on 48 hour cancellation.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You could book a hotel on 48 hour cancellation.

Aye but I could do that with hotels in 2 places, I have just cancelled 2 of them today 🙄

Its the travel that is more important , yes it would be good to know where you are going but unless you plan on going to that place regardless,  you need to wait till the game is over to book it or risk losing money if we lose. 

38 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Fair play... Ya jammy bugger!

I've already paid out about £430 on Glasgow alone and I actually increased my stay after my SOU-GLA flight on match day morning was cancelled by Loganair.

Instead of accepting a later flight (which would have meant missing most of the pre-match shenanigans) I moved it to the night before, which meant another night in the hotel.

Edited by Rich NATA

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Still cant really book anything till you know if we win though so not a huge advantage.

If I knew Scotland would play in Vienna (instead of Cardiff) if we beat Ukraine, I would happily book the flights.

TA away trip in Vienna or a city break in Vienna... I could live with both.

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye but I could do that with hotels in 2 places, I have just cancelled 2 of them today 🙄

Its the travel that is more important , yes it would be good to know where you are going but unless you plan on going to that place regardless,  you need to wait till the game is over to book it or risk losing money if we lose. 

Don't worry, I'll put you up if it's in Wales 😂

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

it's not difficult to get to Wales. It's just doon the road.

You could even drive to Vienna if you had to. Mind you, by June time Russia might have invaded Austria as well. They aren't in NATO either.