Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

16 hours ago, thesaint said:

Suggest the ones who are being selfish are those that are making this futile move to change the game to June knowing hundreds of fans have paid for flights,hotels etc for the game in March and the nations league games in June.Selfish because they know fine well come June Ukraine will still have to either play players who play in other countries or withdraw.They are quite willing to stuff it to the fans who have already paid money for flight etc,so they can feel good about themselves.Virtue signaling .I'm sure anybody in their right mind are with the people of Ukraine,but this particular issue is about football.What possible good is it going to do to delay the games until June and still end up with the same options that are available now.If anybody can explain what ACTUAL good will come of moving the game to June i am certainly willing to be educated.So uefa/fifa logic is lets cause chaos with fixtures and fans and move the game to June when we have a pretty good sense that the situation regarding Ukraine will be exactly the same,but hey it makes us feel good about ourselves.

I've paid for flights and also got a full 50 seater for Dublin. 

Nobody knows if they will be able to play it in June but i would rather give them the chance as the diary allows it rather than just give Scotland a bye to the next round. 

You aren't thinking of anything other than your wallet. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, allyc said:

Yes dad. I don’t think anyone has difficulty telling the importance or the difference between a mass humanitarian crisis caused by war and a football match. But it would be nice to have a decision as the uk as it stands are on a peace time footing, are not being bombed by the Russians and going about our daily business in a normal manner. People just need to know so they can reorganise themselves in light of the situation. It’s like you dare not mention anything in case you offend someone

Bit like you can't dare mention you have no issue with the game being put back in case it upsets somebody who might lose a few quid. 

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nobody knows if they will be able to play it in June but i would rather give them the chance as the diary allows it rather than just give Scotland a bye to the next round. 

Well said

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not only my wallet,everybodys wallet including the Dublin 50.Very thoughtfull of me... eh! 

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

I am guessing Ukraine's attitude may very well be that if this game goes ahead (regardless if they win 1-0 or we win 5-0) its still the biggest two fingers up at Putin that Ukraine can keeping going on.

I am thinking the chances are more likely UEFA will probably side with postponement, but Ukraine will dig their heels in for the time being.

The Ukraine manager is 67 years old, so is free to travel outside of Ukraine.... do not be shocked if he brings Sheva (living in London these days) and Rebrov (coaching in the middle east) to help out with the coaching for the game.

What do you think the Ukrainian feeling is about Russian terms issued today?  Acknowledge Crimea as Russian and Donbass regions as independent and promise not to join NATO/EU - is that worth taking to stop the war, or is it a sign that Putin is looking for a way out without admitting he’s a wee bell-end?  Or both?

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Thumbs up. 

I don't understand why the SFA are so quiet on this . If Ukraine ask for a postponement simply agree. It is a bit late but we could ask Armenia if they want to bring forward the Nation's league game. Anyone who has booked travel and accommodation won't have it wasted.

I think the Ukraine Pay Off Match will move, which nobody can really argue with, i’d Imagine the powers that be are chewing over the various permutations and possible Nations League re-schedules. Being a bit selfish I hope they don’t move the fixture in Dublin, and hope the SFA realise how many and cost already invested in that one. 

1 hour ago, hoofitharder said:

I don't understand why the SFA are so quiet on this . If Ukraine ask for a postponement simply agree. It is a bit late but we could ask Armenia if they want to bring forward the Nation's league game. Anyone who has booked travel and accommodation won't have it wasted.

Would make sense to move one of the home Nations League games to March 24th. Means it’s still a competitive game and leaves a gap in June to try and accommodate Ukraine if that is possible.

2 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

Not the SFA's decision to make. 

I think the silence from the authorities is because they don't know what to do, or they do but they don't know how to do it without looking like a shower of bassas. They have to abide by their own rules, if Ukraine can't fulfil the fixture then they forfeit it and are replaced. They have to look at the bigger picture too and the effect it has on future fixtures, and of course the knock on effect to fans, thousands of us have made plans on the back of the existing fixture lists not only in March but June and onward... financial aspect too, tv deals, sponsors, travel companies, stadia and all relevant to venues etc etc... 

17 days, if it's a wholesale change to fixtures etc they're leaving it awfae late!   

Lots of differing views. But I think we would all agree that a decision on March 24th game is needed, one way or another. I thought we would hear today of the game being postponed until June (my preference). The fact there is still no announcement means no decision yet.

11 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

BBC breaking news….

The game has been postponed, discussions under way for a new date, most likely June.

Seems an odd time to announce it. They’ve had days to decide on a new date as well. I wonder when they’ll get round to announcing that. 

34 minutes ago, aaid said:

Surely the Scottish Government should be using some of the Russian funds they’ve sanctioned to refund Scotland fans for travel costs.

When the Carling cup games were moved in Dublin we got compensated as we had to rebook return flights & an extra hotel night. The SFA organised this for everyone affected so I'd imagine something similar should happen.

4 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

When the Carling cup games were moved in Dublin we got compensated as we had to rebook return flights & an extra hotel night. The SFA organised this for everyone affected so I'd imagine something similar should happen.

Good point.

J

19 hours ago, allyc said:

Yes dad. I don’t think anyone has difficulty telling the importance or the difference between a mass humanitarian crisis caused by war and a football match. But it would be nice to have a decision as the uk as it stands are on a peace time footing, are not being bombed by the Russians and going about our daily business in a normal manner. People just need to know so they can reorganise themselves in light of the situation. It’s like you dare not mention anything in case you offend someone

Think you have missed my point. Some people (not many to be fair) are asking for refunds for travel arrangements that were made before current war in Ukraine. I cant see a way anyone, even travel insurance, would refund. Best you can hope for is to rearrange travel for the new dates when (if!) they are set.

I'm sure many on here were equally annoyed when Adele cancelled her gigs in Vegas and were demanding their flight/hotel money back.

If it were up to me, I would make our game against Ukraine on the 7/6/2022 a winner takes all game for both the nations cup 3 points and the semi final qualifier.  This would help ease congestion on the amount of games and the fixture is set in place anyway.  Id then propose that the final would be the week after the last nations cup against Armenia.   I would scrap the friendly fixtures to take place between the 2 losers of the semi finals.  This means all the games would go ahead as usual and we would have approx. 1 week after the last game against Armenia on the 14.6.2022 to prepare.  I see this as causing little to no changes for all travelling supporters.

From a purely footballing / travel point of view, the one thing I hope doesn't happen, but fear might, is that the Playoff is rescheduled for either June 4 or 7 with the scenario  Scotland win or Ukraine have to forfeit - Scotland go to Wales or Austria on 11th , Scotland lose we go to Dublin on 11th.

If Dublin is to be postponed I will be £300 down, but so be it - But if it's getting postponed I'd rather know now than having to wait till a few days in advance

16 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

And the June Nations League games?

Armenia - Home

Ireland - Away

Armenia - Away

When do they get played?

J

Going to guess that they move the playoff dates to the 1st two June dates, replacing Armenia (H) and Ukraine (H). 

Chances are that the Armenia (H) game could shift to the date that we are due to play Ukraine (A) in the event that Ukraine have to pull out of the play-offs and NL. 

If Ukraine are able to fulfil the fixtures then it becomes more of a challenge to squeeze things in. 

Just now, Mushet84 said:

If it were up to me, I would make our game against Ukraine on the 7/6/2022 a winner takes all game for both the nations cup 3 points and the semi final qualifier.  This would help ease congestion on the amount of games and the fixture is set in place anyway.  Id then propose that the final would be the week after the last nations cup against Armenia.   I would scrap the friendly fixtures to take place between the 2 losers of the semi finals.  This means all the games would go ahead as usual and we would have approx. 1 week after the last game against Armenia on the 14.6.2022 to prepare.  I see this as causing little to no changes for all travelling supporters.

That's a very good and do-able suggestion imo

10 minutes ago, Mushet84 said:

That would be the logical thing to do which probably means they won’t do it!

5 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

That would be the logical thing to do which probably means they won’t do it!

That was my exact thought on the proposal. It’s made the most sense on this board therefore will be the option least likely to be taken.

Still mean 5 games in two weeks (in the Summer), mental schedule.

J