Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Where is this 3-0 nonsense coming from? It’s a one off tie so the score is irrelevant if we are given a bye. 

Article 31 provides:

1. A team sanctioned with a forfeit is considered to have lost the match by 3-0.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Article 31 provides:

1. A team sanctioned with a forfeit is considered to have lost the match by 3-0.

Irrelevant in a one off tie which only came into being with the Euro 2020 playoffs.

Being awarded a 3-0 victory would only matter if it was a qualifier, NL game or 2 legged playoff. 

I guess it might matter for the record books but who cares?

Edited by Texas Pete

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

Surely its plain for all to see.Ukraine could at least get the game played in March,and with the players that play in europe have a fair chance.Come June  its pretty obvious the chance of them playing with anything but the same players that would be available in March is less than zero.It would be a crazy decision to postpone until June,it really would.

The game will more than likely be postponed if only for the reason that UEFA/FIFA would come across as bellends if they didn’t agree.

Personally I can’t see Ukraine fulfilling the fixture at all and I’m surprised they have requested a postponement but I’ll be shocked if their request isn’t accepted.  

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Sadly I don’t think it is. 

I don't see the problem, you say in one of your other posts you don't think the Ukraine tie will be played, this would cover that off. 

Another solution would be to give Ukraine an automatically qualified position in the world cup and either make a group of 5 or they could have a play off against a randomly drawn 2nd placed placed team following the first qualifying rounds. Then no fixture disruption, Ukraine can concentrate on more important things until November, who would argue against it, only one extra match to fit into the world cup schedule and it would really pish aff Russia.

38 minutes ago, CelticGeordie said:

I don't see the problem, you say in one of your other posts you don't think the Ukraine tie will be played, this would cover that off. 

Another solution would be to give Ukraine an automatically qualified position in the world cup and either make a group of 5 or they could have a play off against a randomly drawn 2nd placed placed team following the first qualifying rounds. Then no fixture disruption, Ukraine can concentrate on more important things until November, who would argue against it, only one extra match to fit into the world cup schedule and it would really pish aff Russia.

I vote that we also give Yemen an automatic World Cup place to piss off the Saudis. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Where is this 3-0 nonsense coming from? It’s a one off tie so the score is irrelevant if we are given a bye. 

I dunno, was just agreeing with the sentiment

Edited by todd

1 hour ago, CelticGeordie said:

Fast-track Ukraine into the 2022 FIFA World Cup Finals?

You're on the wind up Tae?

2 hours ago, CelticGeordie said:

You’re getting ridiculous now. Why don’t we just award them the trophy? 

58 minutes ago, todd said:

I dunno, was just agreeing with the sentiment

😂 fair enough. 

As someone else has pointed out apparently the 3-0 thing is in UEFA or FIFAs rules but I doubt it would apply this time as goal difference is irrelevant and there is no second leg. 

55 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

😂

Its silly here in this instance but irrelevant, it could be 1 nil or 100 nil it doesnt matter. Its so irrelevant debating over the rule would have been a waste of time might as well be a one rule for all. 

Ukraine want to postpone as their country is full of 175000 Russians with tanks and weapons causing death and destruction very few of us can even imagine...  I've suggested three ideas...

1 hour ago, CelticGeordie said:

Ukraine want to postpone as their country is full of 175000 Russians with tanks and weapons causing death and destruction very few of us can even imagine...  I've suggested three ideas...

As their country is full of Russians, the question has got to be asked, why are they even bothering about a world cup qualifier.Just withdraw and get on with the important stuff. 

On 3/4/2022 at 12:48 AM, scotlad said:

I quite like this idea. It might mean either Austria or Wales having to play three games in order to qualify, which they'd almost certainly prefer not to do, but FFS, they haven't been invaded by fecking Vladimir Putin!  It's not a perfect solution but it's reasonable, in the circumstances.

True but some perspective is needed too.

The postponement is until June (or at least that has been mooted). Lets get realistic here. Not being nasty but realistic. Russia are not going to cease the invasion and creep back to Russia sheepishly. And Ukraine are not going to knuckle under and run up the white flag. Those pertinent facts mean this conflict is going to last a few months (way beyond June would be my guess). The draw is supposed to take place for the World Cup Finals in early April so these play-offs need resolved ASAP.

I have no qualms with a postponement but come June if the situation is unaltered then a decision needs made and if Scotland get a bye then sobeit. Lets all be honest here anyway the last thing Ukraine people have on their mind is a game of football. They are involved in a far more important fight for their continued existence as an independent country and fight to remain outwith Russia's control.

3 hours ago, CelticGeordie said:

At least 2 of which are ridiculous and won’t happen. The only real solution is to postpone the game until June (or possibly later if the calendar allows?) as per Ukraine’s request and if they can’t fulfil the fixture later in the year they should forfeit the match and worry about the situation in their country. 

Being invaded should not entitle countries to a free pass to the World Cup. As horrible as the situation in Ukraine is and no matter how much people feel sorry for the people of Ukraine giving them a free pass to the World Cup or even the play off final would be ridiculous is my opinion. 

3 hours ago, CelticGeordie said:

Were any of them to give us a bye? Cba looking back

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

At least 2 of which are ridiculous and won’t happen. The only real solution is to postpone the game until June (or possibly later if the calendar allows?) as per Ukraine’s request and if they can’t fulfil the fixture later in the year they should forfeit the match and worry about the situation in their country. 

Being invaded should not entitle countries to a free pass to the World Cup. As horrible as the situation in Ukraine is and no matter how much people feel sorry for the people of Ukraine giving them a free pass to the World Cup or even the play off final would be ridiculous is my opinion. 

Agreed 

For all those people that think they should postpone the match until June. Lets substitute Scotland for England, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands or Belgium. Do they think UEFA/FIFA would postpone the match until June. Would they f**k. Match should be played in March. It's not in Kyiv it's in Glasgow. Ukraine have enough players to play this game. It's a no brainer the match should be played in March. There will be no difference between now and June. Chances are it will be worse for Ukraine in June. Get the match played in March.

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Spot on.

And where does this bon homme stop? A bye through to the World Cup Finals? Of course not.

Postpone until June and if war still rages then forfeit the match. In any case football will be the last thing on Ukrainians minds right now and rightly so.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

And where does this bon homme stop? A bye through to the World Cup Finals? Of course not.

Postpone until June and if war still rages then forfeit the match. In any case football will be the last thing on Ukrainians minds right now and rightly so.

This seems fair and logical to me CC.

Give them a chance but the tournament can't go on hold forever for one nation

Edited by vanderark14