Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

That's Russia removed from the play-offs now, including under the name of Football Union of Russia.  I don't think its been announced what will happen, Poland will likely get a by to play the winner of Sweden and Czech republic as all 2nd place teams made it into the play-offs.  I personally can't image they give the play off spot to Slovakia who finished 3rd but it would be an option I am sure that is being considered.  

They should be replaced with the team that finished below them. Not fair on the other two teams that have to play potentially two games, to get to the finals

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

They should be replaced with the team that finished below them. Not fair on the other two teams that have to play potentially two games, to get to the finals

These governing bodies have got a history of fairness going out the window.

If Poland get a bye, and Ukraine don't manage to get a team, we should arrange a friendly against Poland at Hampden. Ours was at Hampden, theirs would have been away. The tickets are sold, both of us will need a game before going in to the final. 

It's a no brainer surely?

2 hours ago, mark831 said:

If Poland get a bye, and Ukraine don't manage to get a team, we should arrange a friendly against Poland at Hampden. Ours was at Hampden, theirs would have been away. The tickets are sold, both of us will need a game before going in to the final. 

It's a no brainer surely?

A great suggestion.  

4 minutes ago, Johnnyshaker said:

We’ll have the whole world against us if it is played at some point 🤣How long can you delay the final though. If I were to bet, I think Ukraine will affectively run out of time to fulfil the fixture… 

6 minutes ago, JECK said:

We’ll have the whole world against us if it is played at some point 🤣How long can you delay the final though. If I were to bet, I think Ukraine will affectively run out of time to fulfil the fixture… 

Poland getting a bye into the final......hmm!

9 minutes ago, JECK said:

People saying delay the semi play off until November.With the final still to be played after that,it surely wouldn't be practical .Hellish short notice as the world cup begins in November.

35 minutes ago, thesaint said:

People saying delay the semi play off until November.With the final still to be played after that,it surely wouldn't be practical .Hellish short notice as the world cup begins in November.

Others saying play off semi on 2 June and final in next week or so. Move a couple of nations league games to November (could be World Cup warm ups as opposed to pre World Cup friendlies) 

9 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Others saying play off semi on 2 June and final in next week or so. Move a couple of nations league games to November (could be World Cup warm ups as opposed to pre World Cup friendlies) 

Think we already have a match on then maybe thev4th?

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Think we already have a match on then maybe thev4th?

Yep we have games on 4,7, 11 and 14 June. The idea is to move 2 of these games to November and therefore have room for the play offs in June. Saying that, if Ukraine aren’t capable of playing then, what next? 

29 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Yep we have games on 4,7, 11 and 14 June. The idea is to move 2 of these games to November and therefore have room for the play offs in June. Saying that, if Ukraine aren’t capable of playing then, what next? 

Well one of those games in June is against Ukraine anyway, so that game could easily be changed without there being too much shuffling. It would just be getting Armenia or Ireland to agree to moving their game. Obviously the winner of Wales and Austria would need to agree to moving the final as well. 

I really don't think any of these countries would object to postponing until June or even beyond under the circumstances. Ourselves included.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

It would be a great shame to postpone it as it would be a great statement to make having the game go ahead on 24th but aye, that would seem sensible. I guess it depends on if Ukraine are able to provide a squad. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Well one of those games in June is against Ukraine anyway, so that game could easily be changed without there being too much shuffling. It would just be getting Armenia or Ireland to agree to moving their game. Obviously the winner of Wales and Austria would need to agree to moving the final as well. 

I really don't think any of these countries would object to postponing until June or even beyond under the circumstances. Ourselves included.

Cant see this being over by June. If the Ireland game is changed, i look forward to my refund from the sfa for my Dublin flights. Shouldn't be a problem with that,eh?Some hope. 

27 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Cant see this being over by June. If the Ireland game is changed, i look forward to my refund from the sfa for my Dublin flights. Shouldn't be a problem with that,eh?Some hope. 

Think yersel lucky you've only got Dublin flights! 

53 minutes ago, thesaint said:

I was going to raise this earlier, but bottled it.

You've broken the ice, so...

I know it's crass to say this at this time (it's not important in the big scheme of things) but if they delay the play-offs until June or whenever, fans who have paid for flights and/or hotels to/in Glasgow/Cardiff/Vienna/Dublin/Yerevan will face missing matches or being out of pocket......... It might be a choice between a play-off final in Wales/Austria or going to Armenia because you've already paid out hundreds of pounds on the flights.

Living in Southampton, I've already paid for Glasgow flights and hotels in March and June and I've paid for Dublin flights and hotel in June. It's a considerable amount of money.

Thankfully, I didn't get around to booking Yerevan.

What should happen with the play-offs?

I hope Ukraine can collate a team from the European leagues.

If they are unable to, I don't think giving Poland and Scotland a bye would be fair on Czech/Sweden or Wales/Austria.

Anyone know which teams would have been next in line after Russia and Ukraine?

30 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I was going to raise this earlier, but bottled it.

You've broken the ice, so...

I know it's crass to say this at this time (it's not important in the big scheme of things) but if they delay the play-offs until June or whenever, fans who have paid for flights and/or hotels to/in Glasgow/Cardiff/Vienna/Dublin/Yerevan will face missing matches or being out of pocket......... It might be a choice between a play-off final in Wales/Austria or going to Armenia because you've already paid out hundreds of pounds on the flights.

Living in Southampton, I've already paid for Glasgow flights and hotels in March and June and I've paid for Dublin flights and hotel in June. It's a considerable amount of money.

Thankfully, I didn't get around to booking Yerevan.

What should happen with the play-offs?

I hope Ukraine can collate a team from the European leagues.

If they are unable to, I don't think giving Poland and Scotland a bye would be fair on Czech/Sweden or Wales/Austria.

Anyone know which teams would have been next in line after Russia and Ukraine?

I for one would be delighted with a bye! I couldn't even imagine playing Ukraine any time soon, everyone and his dog will want them to win including many of our right on fans.

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

We could just make the Ukraine game a double dunter. Counts for both competitions.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We could just make the Ukraine game a double dunter. Counts for both competitions.

I'll give you credit for originality 😂.

In all seriousness, it really should just be postponed. We can worry about the logistics later. The Ukrainian FA will not be concerned at all about this game right now, so I can't see them voluntarily dropping out. Nor should they. We'll find the time. 

Edited by Tartan blood

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'll give you credit for originality 😂.

In all seriousness, it really should just be postponed. We can worry about the logistics later. The Ukrainian FA will not be concerned at all about this game right now, so I can't see them voluntarily dropping out. Nor should they. We'll find the time. 

If it was only as straightforward as finding an alternative date!

I get that everyone is caught up in this crisis and not wanting to do Ukraine wrong. The reality is that there’s no obvious solution. Postponing for a later date is just hoping for the best. 

The last I’d heard, the Ukrainians wanted the game to go ahead?

In reality, they may have more chance of playing the game in March compared to June. Pushing back to November is even more damaging to the other teams. 

2 hours ago, todd said:

I for one would be delighted with a bye! I couldn't even imagine playing Ukraine any time soon, everyone and his dog will want them to win including many of our right on fans.

That's what concerns me.As i said earlier, i don't like the atmosphere being created among our supporters. Just waiting for some diddy to say i want Ukraine to win. There will probably be some idiots turning up in Ukraine shirts. Totally ridiculous. If Ukraine can put out a team, then they are there to be beat. If not, they should withdraw. As i said before, i would have thought the world cup would be the last thing on their mind. What kind of mindset are our players going to have going into this match.If Ukraine can't put out a team now, what makes anybody think another few months will make any difference. God help them but it could be worse. The decision on the game must be made on the situation on 24th March, and not on some imaginary situation in the future.