Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yep. Quite shocking the extent that the UK and US are talking up to war. 

I’ve not been following it closely but the only external party that seemed to try and cool the mood and language was Macron and he also gave a nod to Russian concerns. 

The last thing we need is to get embroiled in a fight wi Russia but Boris is getting desperate & can remember how thatcher benefited fae the Falklnds war. France as a nation have shit themselves against aggressors since Napoleon so no surprise wi Macrons stance, the french always look after themselves & are probably arranging trade deals wi Russia on a the back of Macrons Moscow visit.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glimmer of hope coming through news now.... Belarus says Ukraine is welcome to come an observe joint Russia-Belarus drills taking place, and now the head of the Russian army is saying that some drills are over with and troops are to go back to base.

Basically looking like the USA have called Putin out on his bluff, only to blink first.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Probably not a bad thing given how they behaved in 2006.

Absolutely.

I followed Scotland from 1998-2010 and went to a total of 35 away games between those years. Apart from a relatively small incident in London 1999, Kiev was the only time I ever felt in any sort of football related danger. As much as I still enjoyed my trip there, if I was still travelling now, I'd seriously think twice about going back. 

I've never been one for all the pre-trip scare stories (I remember being warned Moldova was extremely dodgy and it ended up being one of the friendliest places I visited), but I'd warn anyone going to Kiev to keep their wits about them at all times.

Kyiv totally different place now (full of hipster craft beer bars and fancy coffee shops) as there has been a Champions League final there since and Ukrainians were inviting Liverpool fans into their houses when Hotels were full across the city.

They have announced that the Ireland and Armenia games are in Lviv, and that our game will most probably be Kyiv (Ukrainian football season restarts this weekend, and UEFA have just given their approval for Dynamo Kyiv v Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA Youth Champions League to be played in Kyiv next week).

9 hours ago, Marky said:

Absolutely.

I followed Scotland from 1998-2010 and went to a total of 35 away games between those years. Apart from a relatively small incident in London 1999, Kiev was the only time I ever felt in any sort of football related danger. As much as I still enjoyed my trip there, if I was still travelling now, I'd seriously think twice about going back. 

I've never been one for all the pre-trip scare stories (I remember being warned Moldova was extremely dodgy and it ended up being one of the friendliest places I visited), but I'd warn anyone going to Kiev to keep their wits about them at all times.

I take it there was a fair few hooligans going about or was it just that the place was dangerous in general? Never been there but I would guess it might be quite a rough place like alot of other Eastern European cities. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I take it there was a fair few hooligans going about or was it just that the place was dangerous in general? Never been there but I would guess it might be quite a rough place like alot of other Eastern European cities. 

Football hooligans, but since then there has been Euro 2012 and the Champions League final, plus in recent years there has been a total over haul of the police, so they are not as heavy handed.

Also in recent years Europe's largest LGBT marches have taken place in Kyiv, and without incident, so no, Kyiv is not dangerous in general, just has its football hooligan element like so many other cities (Warsaw there was some issue with Scotland fans)

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/thousands-march-lgbtq-rights-ukraine-despite-some-opposition-2021-09-19/

20 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

100% football hooligans mate. I enjoyed it as a city generally. 

I think it will go ahead however unfortunately for them there is going to be mass disruption as 15 of their players in their last squad play in the domestic league which you think will now be disrupted. 

Good news for us however with all that's going on in that country you wouldn't take any pleasure in that advantage.

You also imagine focus and drive on this game for their players and management team wont be full as for obvious reasons emotions and concentration will in part be elsewhere 

Terrible thing that's happening 

24 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Russia should now be expelled.

You’d think wouldn’t you!!! But when it comes to money in sport no one gives a toss. Olympics in China, World Cup in Qatar can’t see anyone being that bothered about Russia invading a country in Europe

i can’t imagine Poland will have any appetite to travel to Russia in the play offs. They could soon have bigger fish to fry with them.

Edited by darkbluegas

15 minutes ago, darkbluegas said:

You’d think wouldn’t you!!! But when it comes to money in sport no one gives a toss. Olympics in China, World Cup in Qatar can’t see anyone being that bothered about Russia invading a country in Europe

i can’t imagine Poland will have any appetite to travel to Russia in the play offs. They could soon have bigger fish to fry with them.

This.

It also seems a bit harsh on Ukraine to disqualify them in this instance. Although, I guess, if they can't safely get their team out of the country they may have to forfeit the fixture.

Either way, I'm sure football is very much secondary to them at the moment.

Edited by scotlad