Hampden display gofundme - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hampden display gofundme

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m probably in the minority and a grumpy old man but I find flags at the football a pain in the arse.

Some people are struggling to put food on the table at the moment so I’m not sure if wasting thousands of pounds on something like this is a good idea. 

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m probably in the minority and a grumpy old man but I find flags at the football a pain in the arse.

Some people are struggling to put food on the table at the moment so I’m not sure if wasting thousands of pounds on something like this is a good idea. 

Why don't you, instead of going to the match, donate the price of a ticket to your local food bank then?

56 minutes ago, Flipping eck said:

Why don't you, instead of going to the match, donate the price of a ticket to your local food bank then?

Completely different. Blasting thousands on  pointless flags is a massive waste of money. 

Of course, many would say that football is a massive waste of money but everyone is different. 

19 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't know when the flag pole restrictions came about or what is currently allowed but I would love to see them back in the numbers. 

Wembley in the olden days was a joy to behold. 

This is my thoughts. 

The masses of saltires and lion rampants looked amazing back in the day at Hampden or Wembley. 

If they could strike a deal for a mass purchase of those flags then I’d much prefer that to a coordinated tifo display thing. Tifo is really for Tv/photos in my opinion. 

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Donate your ticket money to a food bank then - going by your logic it would be better spent there than watching 22 men kick a bit of leather about?

The TA do plenty for charity, even some of this money is going to charity. 

If folk want to donate a few quid to something that will give them some enjoyment then let them. 

I think its a great idea. As the guy organising it said, if everyone who is going to the game donated £1 it would cover the whole stadium.

I dont think everyone will and no one should feel they have to but it doesnt need to stretch the purse strings either. The flags can only enhance the atmosphere which can only be a good thing . 

14 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

This is my thoughts. 

The masses of saltires and lion rampants looked amazing back in the day at Hampden or Wembley. 

If they could strike a deal for a mass purchase of those flags then I’d much prefer that to a coordinated tifo display thing. Tifo is really for Tv/photos in my opinion. 

Am pretty sure “back in the old days” say terracing before redevelopment at hampden and last of home internationals ? Majority of flags were yellow lion rampants only odd saltire - ( same at rugby ) today is total opposite ; just a casual observation in shift ; ditto with uj and st georges cross for england , on a roughly similar timeline

On 2/11/2022 at 10:19 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Donate your ticket money to a food bank then - going by your logic it would be better spent there than watching 22 men kick a bit of leather about?

The TA do plenty for charity, even some of this money is going to charity. 

If folk want to donate a few quid to something that will give them some enjoyment then let them. 

Only my opinion. People are still allowed one of those on here aren’t they? 

On 2/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

It's only completely different as it suits your point of view. 

Should I base my opinion on someone else’s point of view? I believe it’s a waste of money and utterly pointless. Others believe it’s a good idea which is absolutely fine.

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Should I base my opinion on someone else’s point of view? I believe it’s a waste of money and utterly pointless. Others believe it’s a good idea which is absolutely fine.

Hopefully they reach the full target sp we can read your views on how folk should spend their own money.

27 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hopefully they reach the full target sp we can read your views on how folk should spend their own money.

I hope not as I don’t really like sitting behind people waving flags at the football. The view at Hampden is bad enough without being obscured by flags. 

People can spend their money on what they like. This type of thing is not for me though. That ok with you? 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, Texas Pete said:

I hope not as I don’t really like sitting behind people waving flags at the football. The view at Hampden is bad enough without being obscured by flags. 

People can spend their money on what they like. This type of thing is not for me though. That ok with you? 

You do realise that the flags/display won't be being waved/displayed during the 90 minutes don't you?

It's for pre game. Build the atmosphere. Miserable sod.

You say it's pointless? Look at how the return of Wor Flags across the border down at St James Park has impacted Newcastle out recently.

9 minutes ago, BinosWest said:

You do realise that the flags/display won't be being waved/displayed during the 90 minutes don't you?

You say it's pointless? Look at how the return of Wor Flags across the border down at St James Park has impacted Newcastle out recently.

He's moaning about something he hasn't even bothered his arse to find out about properly before moaning. 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:01 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am pretty sure “back in the old days” say terracing before redevelopment at hampden and last of home internationals ? Majority of flags were yellow lion rampants only odd saltire - ( same at rugby ) today is total opposite ; just a casual observation in shift ; ditto with uj and st georges cross for england , on a roughly similar timeline

I would put the timeline at 20 June 1990!  It was always 95% lion rampant flags until Italia '90 and if I remember rightly we were not allowed in with canes on our flags.  They were selling good quality saltires on hollow plastic poles that were allowed in and although there weren't so many at the first 2 games in Genoa it was very stark at the brazil game in Turin that the saltire was for the first time in the majority.

8 hours ago, BinosWest said:

Aye a few bits of plastic waving about will make all the difference. 🙄

Hardly worth the money that will be wasted on it. It’s not something I’m overly bothered about to be honest I just had the audacity to share my opinion on it which I forgot wasn’t allowed.