Goodwillie Transfer to Raith - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goodwillie Transfer to Raith

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Only 6 years. 

You’d like to think he was under some sort of community monitoring after his release. 

Yeh 6 years doesn't seem very much for a guy who was stalking women and attempting to rape them.

The Article does say he would be under supervision for 3 years after release. 

59 minutes ago, phart said:

I've actually sat in a jury at the high court in Edinburgh for a rape case.

this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1412741.stm

I done a case in aberdeen about 11-12 years ago. It was apparent about a morning in that she was lying through her teeth, unfortunately, she goes Scot free and the poor lads name is mud forever. 

On 2/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Not sure where I stand on this one to be honest. Firstly Goodwillie hasnt ever been convicted in criminal court of law. A sheriff ruled with the complainer in a civil court which has a much lower burden of proof.

As such Goodwillie hasnt "served him sentence" but he did need to pay the compensation so effectively has been punished by the court.

My concern is that our society is meant to be based on punishment and rehabilitation. Taking the debate away from the specifics of Goodwillie. If somebody has committed a crime and served their punishment, should they then be banned from making a living in their choosen profession?

On the flip side I can see why people might not want to associate themselves with a club who employs such a person.

Well, football is entertainment, it’s not like working on the bins.  Seems Rovers fans don’t want to be entertained by someone against whom there is “persuasive and compelling” evidence that he’s a rapist.  Not only that, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority came to the same conclusion as the civil court, as did three appeal court judges. 

14 minutes ago, kumnio said:

RaithTV have withdrew from the club, another sponsor pulled out today.

The fall out is massive, I wonder if they will cave in, and he might never play for them, they have completely fucked their club over.

Actually if Raith go back on their decision, Goodwillie will probably not play for anyone again. He may be wishing he stayed with Clyde. Presumably there would be financial implications for Raith if they cancelled his contract. You're spot on with your final line, the people who agreed to his signing have right royally screwed it up.

Edited by Hertsscot

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

RaithTV have withdrew from the club, another sponsor pulled out today.

The fall out is massive, I wonder if they will cave in, and he might never play for them, they have completely fucked their club over.

I think Raith have to terminate his contract, when the fans and sponsors rebel, a club has to listen. 

15 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Anyone know how opposition fans have reacted to Goodwillie whilst he's been at Clyde? Has it been dogs abuse or general indifference?

When we where in L2, there wasn't much aimed at him, but since we got promoted to L1 and the larger crowds that go with that, he's had it tight at away grounds and at home against the teams that bring a decent travelling support, (Falkirk & Airdrie in particular).

Quite a few Clyde fans stopped going when he signed for us, hopefully they haven't been lost to the club for good.

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Actually if Raith go back on their decision, Goodwillie will probably not play for anyone again. He may be wishing he stayed with Clyde. Presumably there would be financial implications for Raith if they cancelled his contract. You're spot on with your final line, the people who agreed to his signing have right royally screwed it up.

Yes was a bad decision on his (or his advisors part) at Clyde he was our best paid player (have heard he was on 1k per week) was also the captain, but as I said before , his employment by our club left a bad taste in many supporters mouths.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

I certainly don't agree with all of that but I do think there are some real issues about rehabilitation. However being punished for what you've done, doing your time, paying compensation or whatever doesn't necessarily mean you can go back to your old career as if nothing has happened. Actions have consequences. I doubt David Goodwillie will ever play professional football again.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why is sturgeon getting so involved with this one crime?

It’s almost as if she’s playing to the galleries. Her moral compass didn’t seem to be quite as on point when he was playing for Clyde the last 5 years. 

16 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Playing devil's advocate...

Should David Goodwillie be allowed to earn a living playing football?

At what point (after year on year consistent public abuse and paying 100K) is his 'debt' to society 'paid'?

Never?

I think that he should be allowed to earn a living but as a footballer he has a high public profile. His very presence will alienate so many people, not just women but all of us who value our mothers, wives, sisters, daughter's etc.  

He needs to look for another way of earning a living as no club in Scotland will touch him with a barge pole. 

Yes he does need to fit back into society but given the lack of remorse he should not have been so naive (or arrogant?) to think he could just breeze back into his old profession as if nothing had happened.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf in the eyes of the law he hasnt. He was never convicted in criminal court. 

Maybe so but being extremely kind to him, he still took advantage of a vulnerable person who’s suffered a lot because of what he did. I’ve not followed what he’s said and done closely since then but I don’t think he’s shown much or any remorse for that. 

It’s doesn’t affect me how he earns his living but can understand why people don’t want him near their club.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Playing devil's advocate...

Should David Goodwillie be allowed to earn a living playing football?

At what point (after year on year consistent public abuse and paying 100K) is his 'debt' to society 'paid'?

Never?

It’s not an easy answer is it?

Mind Lee Hughes returned to professional football, although a lower level, after serving prison time for causing death by dangerous driving. Even made the PFA team of the year.