#OorLadsOorTelly - Scotland games free-to-air PETITION!!! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

#OorLadsOorTelly - Scotland games free-to-air PETITION!!!

Bzzzz

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well at least the England game will be on channel 4, be the first thing I have watched there since those red triangle movies in the mid eighties. Oh to be young again.

Don't think they've shown a Scotland game since the away leg of the World Cup play-off against Australia in 1985!

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well at least the England game will be on channel 4, be the first thing I have watched there since those red triangle movies in the mid eighties. Oh to be young again.

Not sure it will be, as I think it only relates to Nations League and WC/Euro Qualifiers.

Probably will end up being on Channel 4, but not sure its a given.

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I hope this gathers pace, the SFA signing up for viaply was a massive mistake in my opinion

I don’t think the SFA had much of a say in it to be fair but it’s ridiculous that our games are on such an obscure channel/streaming service.

It was bad enough when our games were on Sky but at least most pubs have Sky and most people likely have a mate with Sky Sports if they don’t have it themselves.  

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think the SFA had much of a say in it to be fair but it’s ridiculous that our games are on such an obscure channel/streaming service.

It was bad enough when our games were on Sky but at least most pubs have Sky and most people likely have a mate with Sky Sports if they don’t have it themselves.  

I didn't realise that. I wonder if the SFA put up any sort of fight against moving matches to viaplay 

It's not surprising to see so many people switching to iptv even if it is illegal. The cost to watch football is mental nowdays 

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I didn't realise that. I wonder if the SFA put up any sort of fight against moving matches to viaplay 

It's not surprising to see so many people switching to iptv even if it is illegal. The cost to watch football is mental nowdays 

I don’t think they have any power at all to fight it other than maybe for friendlies. Even if they did the greedy bastards would want the most money possible rather than what was best for the supporters. 

On 3/3/2023 at 11:15 AM, Orraloon said:

It was definitely on TV. Pubs had to apply for a special licence to open up early in the morning to show the game.

I had my higher maths prelim. The teacher was writing score updates on the blackboard during it (not that there was much to update!)

Going back a number of years I am sure sky sports was 25 quid a month when they pretty much had everything .

I think as Scot’s we are fairly shafted needing to be across three services .which I am sure are about 80 quid in total now a month 

remember when it was mentioned that increased competition would bring prices down. 

18 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Going back a number of years I am sure sky sports was 25 quid a month when they pretty much had everything .

I think as Scot’s we are fairly shafted needing to be across three services .which I am sure are about 80 quid in total now a month 

remember when it was mentioned that increased competition would bring prices down. 

Can't remember who but someone was on Sportsound on Saturday saying how the game was being starved of cash due to people streaming on pirate firesticks. 

When you tally up how much you need to shell out to watch football across all platforms you can understand the attraction though.

Edited by Toepoke

• 8 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think they have any power at all to fight it other than maybe for friendlies. Even if they did the greedy bastards would want the most money possible rather than what was best for the supporters. 

They didn't. It was  a  UEFA controlled tender. Channel 4 bid more money than Viaplay for England and Wales. Down know if they even put in a bid for Scotland. They should be getting asked why.

2 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

They didn't. It was  a  UEFA controlled tender. Channel 4 bid more money than Viaplay for England and Wales. Down know if they even put in a bid for Scotland. They should be getting asked why.

Channel 4 doesn’t show Wales games. Viaplay owns the rights to their games the same as they do ours but they have an agreement with SC4 which allows them to show the games with Welsh commentary (at a fraction of the price Viaplay paid for the rights I would imagine).

I doubt Channel 4 would have any interest in showing Scotland or Wales games because the viewing figures would be nowhere near as high as the figures they get for England games. I don’t think anyone will be asking them to justify this anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the rights come up for sale again since Viaplay won’t be bidding again. Sky will probably get the rights back but hopefully it will be a free to air channel instead. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the rights come up for sale again since Viaplay won’t be bidding again. Sky will probably get the rights back but hopefully it will be a free to air channel instead. 

It could end up on other streaming channels such as Amazon or TNT (formerly BT) Sports I suppose but Sky would be likeliest . Hope not Sky as Ian Crocker and David Provan are rank.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Premier Sports again it is then. They were even worse than Viaplay. 🤦‍♂️

Viaplay were decent for Scotland matches, the main Commentator is very good. For domestic coverage they were just like sky and premier sports, basically old firm TV