Performance schools - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Performance schools

Diamond Scot

On 2/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Another PS player debut last night at Dundee United in Rory MacLeod, just 16. The list to come out of the system is really starting to grow now. The 2000s were the first group, and we are now starting to see the 2002s and 2003s break through in decent numbers, so years 3 and 4 of the system. The fact that some of the 2004s (currently 17/18), 2005s (16/17) and even 2006s (15/16) are starting to be in and around first team squads is really promising.

The 2000s were the first to start to break through, that group included Zak Rudden (Partick Thistle), Lewis Mayo (Rangers), Logan Chalmers (Dundee United), Stephen Kelly (Rangers) and Jack MacKenzie (Aberdeen).

In the 2001 group you have Dean Campbell (Aberdeen), Billy Gilmour (Chelsea), Dapo Mebude (Watford), Josh McPake (Rangers), Scott Banks (Crystal Palace) and Nathan Patterson (Everton).

In 2002 the standouts so far are probably Jay Henderson (St Mirren), Kai Kennedy (Rangers), Archie Meekison (Dundee United), Adam Montgomery (Celtic) and Stuart McKinstry (Leeds).

Some of the 2003s have already broken through or are well known including Liam Morrison (Bayern Munich), Chris Mochrie (Dundee United), Lewis Neilson (Dundee United), Calvin Ramsay (Aberdeen), Liam Smith (Manchester City), Alex Lowry (Rangers) and Max Johnston (Motherwell). 

From the 2004s, the only 1 I know of that is high profile is Kerr Smith (Aston Villa).

From the 2005s you have Craig Moore (Dundee United) and Dylan Reid (St Mirren).

From the 2006s you have Rory Macleod (Dundee United) and Rory Wilson (Rangers) who is yet to debut but there seems to be some buzz around.

The group there forms a large part of the whos who of Scottish youth football. 

Great information there and proves it is working. Would be mad to scrap it now

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Indeed. The players are emerging now to show that it is working.

There are unfortunately some absolute fuckwits out there who would still abolish them tomorrow.

The old school Scottish methods of training that so many people get all misty eyed about simply no longer work in the 21st Century. We have no choice but to embrace modern, continental methods if we are to produce good players.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Indeed. The players are emerging now to show that it is working.

There are unfortunately some absolute fuckwits out there who would still abolish them tomorrow.

The old school Scottish methods of training that so many people get all misty eyed about simply no longer work in the 21st Century. We have no choice but to embrace modern, continental methods if we are to produce good players.

Hopefully common sense prevails and they keep going.

My dad was a PE teacher at Holyrood his last few years and I remember him talking about it just as it was in the first year or so I think. 

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

What’s great is that I would probably pick out a few others now that are progressing more quickly, however I don’t think any of the players mentioned there have failed to go on to a professional career at a decent level or for the younger boys continued to progress at a high level. It used to be the case that players in our system as far through as the U21s who were amongst the highest rated didn’t even have professional careers, let alone at the top level. It just feels different now.

7 minutes ago, syecosse said:

U19s named some decent prospects in there including Dire Mebude, Josh Adam, Barry Hepburn, Kerr Smith and Jeremiah Mullen.

But what the hell is that dunce Billy Stark going to do with them I wonder ?

Ben Andreucci has switched back to us after having lately being playing for Ireland.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

But what the hell is that dunce Billy Stark going to do with them I wonder ?

Ben Andreucci has switched back to us after having lately being playing for Ireland.

Yeah we should get you in charge of them. If only you could get yourself away from the computer. 

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Yeah we should get you in charge of them. If only you could get yourself away from the computer. 

What has Billy Stark done to warrant his job then ? He got it (and likewise Scot Gemmil) solely because he is one of Hampden Park's "good 'ole boys".

I’m surprised you haven’t noticed seeing that you’re such a font of football wisdom. But the U21’s are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Sure it would be nice if we had progressive, imaginative managers in the set ups, but the SFA have given the jobs to their pals. It’s club football that matters, Hickey is now a regular in our 1st team squad, he’s barely played a game for Scotland at any age group. And conversely there are players who have played a lot of games all through the various age groups but will never get near our 1st team squad.

Going to contradict myself a little here. But the youth teams, U21’s could be useful in one particular sense. Now don’t go crazy here Ersatz.  We have a group of full backs, mostly right backs, all close to the same age, and mostly all on the path to being good/excellent players at a high level. I’m not sure if I can remember anything like this situation in a long time. 

At Right Back (wing back)

Patterson (my 1st choice)

Hickey (can play left and right)

Ashby

Ramsey

Devine ( from the little I’ve seen of him, he looks very good)

Left Back (Wing Back)

Robertson

Tierney

Hickey

Doig

I may have missed a few and there maybe some more coming to prominence in the near future. 

But the point is, we are going to have good players missing out of full international games and even squads because there are so many good players competing for the same position. 
If there is any joined up thinking at the SFA, they maybe should be trying some of these players in another position. For example in an interview for Liverpool, Ramsay stated he was a right back or could play in midfield. Perhaps at Scotland youth level it would be worth trying to play some of the players in other position, ie defensive midfield, central midfield, centre half. Again you could only do this if it wasn’t going to hamper other players development in those positions. And in truth it’s probably only applicable to Devine and Ramsay. The rest being slightly older or already further down the line in terms of development. 

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Nice to finally see a comprehensive breakdown of what is going on. It's always so difficult to find details like this.

Highlight for me is that there are 11 Performance School kids in the English Premier League. Including Gilmour and Patterson.

But they also, fairly, acknowledge that Celtic run their own performance school, which shouldn't be ignored. So the likes of Doak and Hepburn benefitted from the same strategy. As did Tierney, Hendry, Hickey and Ralston. So, if you included those 4 to the list, there would be 6 performance school kids all in the senior squad.

Recently heard that Lasswade High School, which is one of the biggest in Scotland 1700-1800 pupils I think, have their own 'in house' performance school style arrangement. Basically the best players in each year similarly get to drop a few classes and get 1-2 extra hours of football everyday.

Sounds like they are a bit of a feeder school for Hearts and Hibs Academies so can only be a good thing in the long run, and their teams seem to be there or there abouts in the Scottish Cup every year so clearly a decent catchment area.

11 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

Recently heard that Lasswade High School, which is one of the biggest in Scotland 1700-1800 pupils I think, have their own 'in house' performance school style arrangement. Basically the best players in each year similarly get to drop a few classes and get 1-2 extra hours of football everyday.

Sounds like they are a bit of a feeder school for Hearts and Hibs Academies so can only be a good thing in the long run, and their teams seem to be there or there abouts in the Scottish Cup every year so clearly a decent catchment area.

For a school that size it probably makes sense, that's a huge number of kids. 

We had some cracking players at school but we got banned from having a team after 1st year as we were fighting with the other school from Barrhead 🙈🙈😂

There were definitely a few boys that could have played pro with the right guidance and management.