Performance schools - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Performance schools

Diamond Scot

Another to add to the 2002 list in Connor Barron who made his first start for Aberdeen last night (previously on loan to Kelty Hearts, had made one sub appearance for Aberdeen before too I think). By all accounts he apparently played well. A previous U17 international for Scotland, he may be in and around the U21s in the coming season (too old for the 19s I think).

It may be simply my perception, but a very high proportion of the kids breaking into first team squads this season do seem to have been involved in the PS system.

• 3 weeks later...

If it’s correct, would it not be a bit disappointing to only have 5 performance school players in the under 19s at this stage? Could the SFA  really be so incompetent that they fail to identify who’s come through their own system? I suppose the answer to that one is yes, it’s not only possible but actually pretty bloody likely!!

10 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I did a quick search and found an article in the Athletic about Alex Lowry’s time in the performance schools. Looks like they did fuck it up!

https://theathletic.com/3084268/2022/01/22/alex-lowry-rangers-ibrox-scoring-debut/?amp

I also did a quick google of past squads and literally the first one I found didn't have Liam Morrison or Calvin Ramsay down as being part of the performance schools. It's consistent incompetence. Or the cynic in me might think it was deliberate...

On 3/9/2022 at 8:33 AM, Tartan blood said:

I also did a quick google of past squads and literally the first one I found didn't have Liam Morrison or Calvin Ramsay down as being part of the performance schools. It's consistent incompetence. Or the cynic in me might think it was deliberate...

That one is particularly funny given they even use his picture (top right in the squad photo) to advertise the Aberdeen school on their website:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/performance/jd-performance-schools/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some notable young players on display tonight including Alex Lowry for Rangers and 16yo Rory MacLeod for Dundee United against Celtic and Connor Barron for Aberdeen. A good few also benching including Leon King (Rangers), Liam Harvey and Dylan Lobban (both hearts) 

All are performance school participants.