Performance schools - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Performance schools

Diamond Scot

Another to add to the 2002 list in Connor Barron who made his first start for Aberdeen last night (previously on loan to Kelty Hearts, had made one sub appearance for Aberdeen before too I think). By all accounts he apparently played well. A previous U17 international for Scotland, he may be in and around the U21s in the coming season (too old for the 19s I think).

It may be simply my perception, but a very high proportion of the kids breaking into first team squads this season do seem to have been involved in the PS system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it’s correct, would it not be a bit disappointing to only have 5 performance school players in the under 19s at this stage? Could the SFA  really be so incompetent that they fail to identify who’s come through their own system? I suppose the answer to that one is yes, it’s not only possible but actually pretty bloody likely!!

10 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I did a quick search and found an article in the Athletic about Alex Lowry’s time in the performance schools. Looks like they did fuck it up!

https://theathletic.com/3084268/2022/01/22/alex-lowry-rangers-ibrox-scoring-debut/?amp

I also did a quick google of past squads and literally the first one I found didn't have Liam Morrison or Calvin Ramsay down as being part of the performance schools. It's consistent incompetence. Or the cynic in me might think it was deliberate...

On 3/9/2022 at 8:33 AM, Tartan blood said:

I also did a quick google of past squads and literally the first one I found didn't have Liam Morrison or Calvin Ramsay down as being part of the performance schools. It's consistent incompetence. Or the cynic in me might think it was deliberate...

That one is particularly funny given they even use his picture (top right in the squad photo) to advertise the Aberdeen school on their website:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/performance/jd-performance-schools/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some notable young players on display tonight including Alex Lowry for Rangers and 16yo Rory MacLeod for Dundee United against Celtic and Connor Barron for Aberdeen. A good few also benching including Leon King (Rangers), Liam Harvey and Dylan Lobban (both hearts) 

All are performance school participants.

• 2 months later...

Quite an interesting article about the increased Italian attention of Scottish players, but also a lot about the Performance School system and how it is starting to be noticed around Europe.

I bang on about this system quite a lot, but as someone who keeps a keen eye on the youth systems here it is absolutely clear (at least anecdotally) how many of our best young talents are coming through this system, but also that our best young talents from this system are playing at higher levels than ever before.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/12651219/aaron-hickey-lewis-ferguson-josh-doig-why-bologna-and-other-serie-a-clubs-are-targeting-young-scottish-players 

I remember a lot of scepticism when these schools were launched but the signs are slowly but surely there that they are working.

If putting a sponsor on replica jerseys would mean more money to pump into the Performance Schools, then I'd be in favour.

Only an idiot would want them abolished. They are doing good.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Quite an interesting article about the increased Italian attention of Scottish players, but also a lot about the Performance School system and how it is starting to be noticed around Europe.

I bang on about this system quite a lot, but as someone who keeps a keen eye on the youth systems here it is absolutely clear (at least anecdotally) how many of our best young talents are coming through this system, but also that our best young talents from this system are playing at higher levels than ever before.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/12651219/aaron-hickey-lewis-ferguson-josh-doig-why-bologna-and-other-serie-a-clubs-are-targeting-young-scottish-players 

I don't think any of those 3 went to the Performance Schools. Did Doig, actually?

Celtic and Dundee Utd have been running their own version of the performance schools for over a decade, so you could say Hickey inadvertenty is a graduate. It's not a coincidence that both these teams have had a high percentage of professional footballers come from their academies. I mentioned Celtic's success with creating internationals in another thread. But I'd love to know how many Dundee Utd have produced as well.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, Tartan blood said:

I don't think any of those 3 went to the Performance Schools. Did Doig, actually?

Celtic and Dundee Utd have been running their own version of the performance schools for over a decade, so you could say Hickey inadvertenty is a graduate. It's not a coincidence that both these teams have had a high percentage of professional footballers come from their academies. I mentioned Celtic's success with creating internationals in another thread. But I'd love to know how many Dundee Utd have produced as well.

Over last 10 years off the top of my head loads of U21s (and youth internationals) but not too many full internationalists. Stuart Armstrong, John and Harry Souttar. Can’t think of any others. Think Russel and Goodwillie were before the United performance school. Andy Robertson was never in the United academy. Apparently Jack Hendry was at United as a youngster but not sure if he was at performance school. Don’t think so. 

Update from post above:

Over last 10 years off the top of my head loads of U21s (and youth internationals) but not too many full internationalists. Stuart Armstrong, John and Harry Souttar. Can’t think of any others. Actually don’t think Srmstrong was in performance school because he joined United Academy in mid teens from Inverness. Not certain whether the Souttars went to the performance schools because they were from outside Dundee like Gauld. Think Russel and Goodwillie were before the United performance school. Andy Robertson was never in the United academy. Apparently Jack Hendry was at United as a youngster but not sure if he was at performance school. Don’t think so. Loads of players (10+) who played in first team last season were in the performance school in Dundee with a few since moved on eg Appere, Kerr Smith and Lewis Neilson. 

if I was to guess who would be next performance school graduate from Tannadice to become full international it would be Ross Graham  if he continues to develop like he did last season. 

On 7/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, you are right. Fergusson would have been too old I think by a year to have been properly in the system. Hickey went to the Celtic version (St Ninian’s), Doig went to plain old Porty High.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:46 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Update from post above:

Over last 10 years off the top of my head loads of U21s (and youth internationals) but not too many full internationalists. Stuart Armstrong, John and Harry Souttar. Can’t think of any others. Actually don’t think Srmstrong was in performance school because he joined United Academy in mid teens from Inverness. Not certain whether the Souttars went to the performance schools because they were from outside Dundee like Gauld. Think Russel and Goodwillie were before the United performance school. Andy Robertson was never in the United academy. Apparently Jack Hendry was at United as a youngster but not sure if he was at performance school. Don’t think so. Loads of players (10+) who played in first team last season were in the performance school in Dundee with a few since moved on eg Appere, Kerr Smith and Lewis Neilson. 

if I was to guess who would be next performance school graduate from Tannadice to become full international it would be Ross Graham  if he continues to develop like he did last season. 

In my original post I did say Dundee Utd produced lots of professional footballers, but not necessarily full internationalists. It stands to reason the best youths would be recruited early at the big Edinburgh and Glasgow clubs. But I still reckon Dundee Utd still created a higher percentage of pros than most other teams. I don't have anything to substantiate that other than  anecdotal evidence (and my memory).

Anyway, I would hope we are past the point of anyone claiming Performance Schools aren't a good idea.

It would be nice if the SFA did a list of players that have been at the Schools and where they are now and what they are doing in football. It would give a great bit of information for us to look at and follow. It would also be a great way for them to show what they have done and if it's working.

6 hours ago, stitch said:

It would be nice if the SFA did a list of players that have been at the Schools and where they are now and what they are doing in football. It would give a great bit of information for us to look at and follow. It would also be a great way for them to show what they have done and if it's working.

They rarely get the right 'JD' badges next to the player names on the squad lists, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's possible that they are deliberately holding back on highlighting the schools, as even the oldest graduate would only be 21 and can't have achieved much yet. 

Saying that, we have graduates at Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and Bayern Munich already. 

Tartan blood I know what you mean they have not been running for long but the SFA doesn't have a lot to shout about. you would think they would be all over this. Just from this topic we can see how well a lot of the youngsters are doing. You would think they could add more names to the list and get it out there for more to try and compete with what we have. 

Edited by stitch

On 7/20/2022 at 8:49 PM, Tartan blood said:

They rarely get the right 'JD' badges next to the player names on the squad lists, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's possible that they are deliberately holding back on highlighting the schools, as even the oldest graduate would only be 21 and can't have achieved much yet. 

Saying that, we have graduates at Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and Bayern Munich already. 

Any at Man City? Virtually a 1/3rd of their u19 starting 11 are Scottish

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Good question, that hopefully someone else can answer. You'd imagine at least one or two would be. 

There are 4 in the City system (at either U19 or U23 level, I think they have all played both), 2 of whom are probably familiar to most in slicker and mebude:

Cieran Slicker: keeper, City youth system

Liam Smith: winger, joined from Killie

Dire Mebude: winger/striker, joined from Rangers

Josh Adam: centre mid, joined from Celtic

Slicker and Mebude both qualified for other international teams in England and Nigeria respectively.

Edit: just realised the question was how many came through or were involved in the PS system. Adam and Mebude both were although neither graduated as far as I know as both left early to transfer to city. May be wrong on that point though. 

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae