Scottish Cup 22 - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup 22

14 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's shocking

16 of the last 18 trophies have been won by the OF

Prior to that during the years when rangers had to re-enter Scottish football and start from league 2..... it was something like 6 or 7 different clubs won a trophy. 

I think that stat says it all and given the champions leAgue money it will get even more difficult for non old firm to win anything.   It would be perfectly feasible for the OF to win the next 100 trophies between them.

Scottish football is fast becoming pointless.  Personally I would be happy to be in a British league, where Hearts would probably sit as league 1 side competing to get in the championship.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As an aside, I checked the Portuguese situation and it seems that only twice (in over 80 years) has their championship been won by anyone outside their big three, and never by any team outside their two biggest cities.

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

that was the tactic.  Defend, defend, defend and hope to nick it from a set piece or counter.

Yip - I mean Craig Levein was in the BBC Scotland broadcast area but it was like he had put together the second half game-plan.

6 hours ago, exile said:

As an aside, I checked the Portuguese situation and it seems that only twice (in over 80 years) has their championship been won by anyone outside their big three, and never by any team outside their two biggest cities.

It's the only league in Europe that's as bad as ours though (even then they have 3 teams instead of 2). I'll need to update the list I did a year or 2 ago.

23 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

It's the only league in Europe that's as bad as ours though (even then they have 3 teams instead of 2). I'll need to update the list I did a year or 2 ago.

I'm not saying ours isn't bad, just curious that another country has similar problems but still manages.

Historically, it is arguably worse in the sense only 5 teams in 2 cities ever won it. No Aberdeens, no Dundees or Dundee Uniteds, no Kilmarnocks, no Motherwells, no Dumbartons....

(Incidentally, Glasgow's third team was Third Lanark, not Queen's Park who seem to have never won the league)

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Scottish football is fast becoming pointless.  Personally I would be happy to be in a British league, where Hearts would probably sit as league 1 side competing to get in the championship.

You would happily forego Hearts playing in a final or qualifying for Europe ever again?

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

You would happily forego Hearts playing in a final or qualifying for Europe ever again?

thats a fair point, however the counter argument is that over time the major cities like glasgow and Edinburgh would develop further with the addition of cash 

38 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Ultimately that's why Celtic or Rangers won't go to England, a League where Liverpool & Man Utd can go 30 years without a title. Where Villa, Everton & Leeds have won nothing at all this century and Newcastle nothing since the '50s.

Imagine they end up like that, how many folk from Peterhead etc. would turn up for a Monday night game v Southampton?

11 hours ago, exile said:

I'm not saying ours isn't bad, just curious that another country has similar problems but still manages.

Historically, it is arguably worse in the sense only 5 teams in 2 cities ever won it. No Aberdeens, no Dundees or Dundee Uniteds, no Kilmarnocks, no Motherwells, no Dumbartons....

(Incidentally, Glasgow's third team was Third Lanark, not Queen's Park who seem to have never won the league)

League Football is a function of professionalism, so by the time that the league was formed Queens Park’s days of domination were over.  Very interesting what’s going on with them now though, you wouldn’t rule out them being g in the Premiership in a few years. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

League Football is a function of professionalism, so by the time that the league was formed Queens Park’s days of domination were over.  Very interesting what’s going on with them now though, you wouldn’t rule out them being g in the Premiership in a few years. 

Will be interesting to see how QPFC do in their new home.

We had a trivia teaser on Saturday, they are one of the five teams to have their name on both the Scottish Cup trophy and the plinth, although their last win was the first occasion that the winners weren't engraved on the cup itself. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Will be interesting to see how QPFC do in their new home.

We had a trivia teaser on Saturday, they are one of the five teams to have their name on both the Scottish Cup trophy and the plinth, although their last win was the first occasion that the winners weren't engraved on the cup itself. 

One of the original entrants in the FA Cup as well - along with Maidenhead - they got a bye all the way to the semi final. They played Wanderers in Glasgow and drew, then withdrew from the replay as it was too expensive to travel to London for it.  Subsequently they lost to Blackburn Rovers twice in the final in 1884 and 1885.

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Pretty strange. Fk that, no such thing as british in fitba and it needs to stay that way