Scottish Cup 22 - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup 22

4 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Not a good final at all. Post 60mins one team went far too negative hoping they could drag their opponent into the deep waters of extra-time, or force them to re-live their shootout hell of Wednesday night. Crazy plan. No shortage of effort and some good defending from Souttar in particular but the quality in the final third from both teams during the 90 was seriously lacking. Would have been interesting if Hearts had more of a go, they didn't and were duly punished when Rangers brought on their in-form players for the late stages/extra-time.

I did post that after 20 minutes 😄

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, exile said:

Ooft, just pushed past the post by Gordon...

...Wright hits the woodwork

If that’s the one that he saved with his foot at the death of 90 minutes, Rangers should’ve had a pen. Blatant pull on the shirt. 

Edited by dandydunn

Delighted to come away with the win, thought we were by far the better team but was worried that fatigue might get the better of us however that bunch of players are by far the fittest I’ve ever seen. Bright Hearts were pretty disappointing and I’d imagine the Jambo’s fans will be pretty shocked at them not having a shot on target in 120 minutes.  

18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Congratulations Rangers. Best team won on the day.  Hearts offered little after half time but up to then thought we would make a game of it.  When boyce went off it was curtains 

😀 you cannot be real.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

If that’s the one that he saved with his foot at the death of 90 minutes, Rangers should’ve had a pen. Blatant pull on the shirt. 

Yes that's right. In the replay, it wasn't the strongest shot but Gordon had to make the save.

Why is it that teams in Scotland just dont have a go at the Old Firm. It has to be a deep ingrained mindset into the clubs.

Frustrates me so much. Hearts have been by far and away the best team outside the Old Firm this year. Have played some really good football and then they get to the cup final and abandon everything thats got them there, dont play to their strengths and basically just hope they can either nick a goal or take Rangers to pens.

Surely fans would appreciate then having a go and getting beat by a few. Im not saying gung ho, just normal attacking football.

With rangers firmly back on their feet (or appear to be so) and the monies both they and Celtic are able to earn from European competition will another team ever win a domestic trophy again in Scotland ? If that’s the best the third best team can do it would suggest the gap is totally insurmountable.  Can only see another team winning anything if there’s another old firm administration 

6 minutes ago, JECK said:

With rangers firmly back on their feet (or appear to be so) and the monies both they and Celtic are able to earn from European competition will another team ever win a domestic trophy again in Scotland ? If that’s the best the third best team can do it would suggest the gap is totally insurmountable.  Can only see another team winning anything if there’s another old firm administration 

The gap is huuuuuugggee. Big. Very big. Like from old firm up to epl

1 hour ago, JECK said:

It's shocking

16 of the last 18 trophies have been won by the OF

Prior to that during the years when rangers had to re-enter Scottish football and start from league 2..... it was something like 6 or 7 different clubs won a trophy. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Why is it that teams in Scotland just dont have a go at the Old Firm. It has to be a deep ingrained mindset into the clubs.

Frustrates me so much. Hearts have been by far and away the best team outside the Old Firm this year. Have played some really good football and then they get to the cup final and abandon everything thats got them there, dont play to their strengths and basically just hope they can either nick a goal or take Rangers to pens.

Surely fans would appreciate then having a go and getting beat by a few. Im not saying gung ho, just normal attacking football.

Possibly tactics of boss ? Only reading between lines as didnt see the match

our game changed forever in 1986 - took a few years for OF to achieve near domination through $$$ ; also had a polarising effect on some of their fans who lost interest in the national side to solely focus on club or more disturbingly gravitate to england & ireland

suspect start of epl and saturation live tv accounted for a lot of “ provincial “ club fans …..

2 sad memories i have from early 2000s ;

young dons fan in red top being bought a rangers top in sports shop ahead of me in queue by his mum

rangers fan i bought house of in westhill discussing the forthcoming “match” - id said i didnt think it wason tv ( v iceland under berti vogts ) = him ‘ am watching the england game “

bit off topic i know 

salary cap / draft pick / 4 foreigners rule - gulf obviously getting bigger every year

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Mainly because they are not good enough

Have you ever played football in a side where you are patently weaker than the opposition ?

You can be up for it and give as much blood and thunder as you have but

(a) You cant keep it up for 90 minutes

(b) They very rarely roll over

Great end to the season after the trauma of Wednesday. We strolled yesterday’s game which is pretty incredible after the last weeks exertions. Lots to look forward to. I’m hoping Scott Wright is going to be a very big player for Rangers next season. Gio seems to be good for his game. 

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Mainly because they are not good enough

Have you ever played football in a side where you are patently weaker than the opposition ?

You can be up for it and give as much blood and thunder as you have but

(a) You cant keep it up for 90 minutes

(b) They very rarely roll over

Plenty of times but ive never played for a team who have setup to just defend. Especially when my team have been winning games. For example when my teams been doing well in the 2nd division and then play a 1st division team. You go into those games with a degree of confidence.

Im not saying Hearts should have gone all out attack however it was clear from their tactics that they werent going to commit players forward like they have been all season. Sims was flicking the ball onto nobody and then it would just come straight back at them.

Teams all over the world manage to execute a game plan against the best teams with vast resources. They dont always win but they have a plan which isnt just park the bus.

Rangers clearly have more money than Hearts and therefore are expected to have better players however you cant tell me that players such as Balogoun, Arfield, 37 year old Davis, Amad and Wright strike such fear into Hearts that they decide to not play football.

Hearts have been really good this season. They have the best GK in the league, a solid defence and a striker with real presence. Their midfield have supported attacks and looked dangerous. I just dont understand where the belielf then goes.

Hearts did sit back too much in the second half but they were still in with a shout. A better corner in the last minute and the cup could've been going to Gorgie.

Rangers superior fitness told in extra time. Hearts were running on empty. It was like the Watson v Cink play off at Turnberry.

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Hearts did sit back too much in the second half but they were still in with a shout. A better corner in the last minute and the cup could've been going to Gorgie.

Rangers superior fitness told in extra time. Hearts were running on empty. It was like the Watson v Cink play off at Turnberry.

Why did Rangers have superior fitness? I can understand the quality argument when it comes to money but all clubs in the Premiership are full time. Surely Hearts should be just as fit as Rangers and fresher given Rangers have had to play midweek / weekend for a good period now including a couple of extra times, played a cup final on Wed and then had to travel.

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Why did Rangers have superior fitness? 

Better athletes I guess. As mentioned earlier, Rangers have been shown to be fitter than Celtic and Eintracht in recent matches.

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

that was the tactic.  Defend, defend, defend and hope to nick it from a set piece or counter.