African cup of nations, - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

African cup of nations,

0-0 or 1-0 with poor quality of play seems to be the default for this tournament so far. Hopefully it will get better and more entertaining as it progresses. Not ideal playing it at this time of the year but it is almost impossible to find a slot in the calendar for it as playing in June/July probably isn't feasible due to the heat - unless South Africa hosted it all the time but then that wouldn't be ideal either.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:30 AM, euan2020 said:

was there not something about a Covid hit squads being told they needed to play without reognised goalkeeper if necessary ? 

& Ian Wright says tournament should be respected ......

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/59924747

Ian Wright is a complete idiot though.

The Afcon doesn't deserve respect, almost nobody cares about it in Europe, and despite what serial knobs like IW think, its nothing to do with racism. How many people took any interest in Copa America, or the Asian or Oceanic versions?

Most Europeans like, and are interested in European fitba.

The standard is fairly substandard probably league two in England level and that is being kind. 
it’s over 3 decades since roger milla and co but they have not really developed after pele saying one of them would win the world cup, can’t remember by when but it’s long past anyway .

I think the problem is most of the teams have a name or two but the rest of the side is probably junior standard .

concern is more of these sides are being shoehorned into World Cup and with a 48 team World Cup the standard will be horrendous till the diddies get eliminated 

Edited by DAVIDB46

8 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

The standard is fairly substandard probably league two in England level and that is being kind. 
it’s over 3 decades since roger milla and co but they have not really developed after pele saying one of them would win the world cup, can’t remember by when but it’s long past anyway .

I think the problem is most of the teams have a name or two but the rest of the side is probably junior standard .

concern is more of these sides are being shoehorned into World Cup and with a 48 team World Cup the standard will be horrendous till the diddies get eliminated 

Junior standard? Behave yourself, most of the teams have players all playing in professional teams in Europe. 

Hard to moan about teams being shoehorned into a major tournament after uefa changed the euros 😬

16 hours ago, morrie21 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/60110971

According to that article the playing without a recognised keeper has come to pass. Comoros taking on hosts Cameroon later today. I'm guessing they would have been huge underdogs anyway but without a proper keeper it could be a farce.

How do you mean "come to pass"? It's happened loads of time before. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

How do you mean "come to pass"? It's happened loads of time before. 

It was in reference to the pre-tournament rule stating that games would go ahead even if teams couldn't field a recognised goalkeeper due to Covid/injuries. Of course it has happened during the course of games before but I can't recall it happening before a knockout tie in an international tournament.

21 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

It was in reference to the pre-tournament rule stating that games would go ahead even if teams couldn't field a recognised goalkeeper due to Covid/injuries. Of course it has happened during the course of games before but I can't recall it happening before a knockout tie in an international tournament.

I don't know what the rules are normally for tournaments. What would normally happen if all three goalies got injured at a tournament? Would they be allowed to call up another goalie who wasn't in the original squad?

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't know what the rules are normally for tournaments. What would normally happen if all three goalies got injured at a tournament? Would they be allowed to call up another goalie who wasn't in the original squad?

For that you'd need to go back and research the rules for past tournaments. Not sure how easy that would be to do. I do know from covering Euro 2020 that UEFA tried to limit the chaos Covid outbreaks within squads would cause by allowing 26-man squads to be announced and mentioning a 48-hour window for fixtures to be fulfilled if a team couldn't name 13-fit players. Not sure how viable the 48-hour thing would have been as tournaments are already tightly packed schedule wise. Thankfully we didn't get to find out.

I guess this sort of thing will happen during the Covid era from time to time. Comoros were unlucky in that they had two keepers injured and the third was a Covid positive although he did test negative on the day of the game but the rules CAF were adhering to meant he couldn't join the squad until the following day.