Early football memories - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Early football memories

as A/ am spending a lot of time at home currently , and B/ its been -25/30 all week here ...... i had a bash at throwing down some early football memories - old 1st div -early/mid 70s

- if anyone wanted to share thoughts also - as i know things changed a lot after that ; replica kits etc (which i could bang on for hours about)

below may be familiar with some for certain era & geography

A Loons Saturday

Bob Wilson, Scottish Goalie ?

English highlights, Derby County

East German league, if your lucky

Dad they’ve got tights on, See that mannie !

Time for the bus, grab the parka

Scarf proudly displayed, off to battle

Folk at the shop, waiting for mates

Down Merkland road , tannoy blaring

Cresting the steps , glow of the pitch

Usual Paddock spot, Chipmunk crisps

Practice for Bobby, ball fizzes past

Old mannies chatting , reeking of baccy

Joey nets, or wiz it Jarvie ?

Back on the bus , turn up the tranny

Arsenal One , Chelsea ; how many ?

Back home for tea , game of Subbuteo

Dr Whos on , then over to Brucie

Theres highlights later, if you’re in you’re jammies

Maybe some Dracula if your lucky

Another day in the boys own diary

My first ever game was a cup-tie, Huddersfield - West Ham in 1972. As it turned out, that was to be the last game we ever won as a top-filght team until 2017. A classic game though in our history...50 bloody years ago in a few weeks time 😕

I was given a programme where the print had rubbed off a bit on the back. I hadn't paid it much attention until we had a goal disallowed (I think in truth it just rolled into the net after play had stopped) but I wasn't totally sure what had happened & didn't want to show myself up by asking in front of my older cousins that I was with. Anyway, back to the programme. The worn print, instead of saying Huddersfield T looked like it said Huddersfield 1. I somehow managed to convince myself that the programme 'knew' what score it was & the goal must have been allowed.

By the time the game finished at 4-2, I realised it didn't, but apart from Frankie Worthington's far post header for the 4th, that's my abiding memory of that day.

I did convince myself that football would always be like that. Town wiping out teams stuffed full of the likes of Bobby Moore & Geoff Hurst. By the time I was able to go regularly, we were more likely to be losing at home to Halifax Town.

Walking to Shawfield (Clyde) with my late Dad (very early 70's) from our then home in Govanhill.

The excitement getting ready to leave the house

The love and pride in my team

That strip

That amazing badge

Shiteing myself when the big clubs came with their big noisy supports (mainly back then Celtic, Rangers, Killie & that mob from Maryhill 😂)

The smell of pubs & kerry oots

Men selling scarves

Sometimes getting a lift over the turnstiles

spearmint & macaroon

So many great memories that will be with me forever - I'm away for a greet 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Walking to Shawfield (Clyde) with my late Dad (very early 70's) from our then home in Govanhill.

The excitement getting ready to leave the house

The love and pride in my team

That strip

That amazing badge

Shiteing myself when the big clubs came with their big noisy supports (mainly back then Celtic, Rangers, Killie & that mob from Maryhill 😂)

The smell of pubs & kerry oots

Men selling scarves

Sometimes getting a lift over the turnstiles

spearmint & macaroon

So many great memories that will be with me forever - I'm away for a greet 🤣🤣

i'd always had a strange fascination for Clyde (for some reason) - never been to Shawfield - but seen photos  - hard to believe it held 20,000 at one point though ?

(during ww2 ; Rutherglen had 20k limit, compared to celtic 10k for luftwaffe attention)

i'd read that a lot of the traditional support areas were knocked down post war , so part reason for dwindling support

- think when Dons played there in cup 84? was 2000ish at the game

i've only ever seen us play Clyde once at pittodrie, was a league cup game early 90s ; 3-1 from memory

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i'd always had a strange fascination for Clyde (for some reason) - never been to Shawfield - but seen photos  - hard to believe it held 20,000 at one point though ?

(during ww2 ; Rutherglen had 20k limit, compared to celtic 10k for luftwaffe attention)

i'd read that a lot of the traditional support areas were knocked down post war , so part reason for dwindling support

- think when Dons played there in cup 84? was 2000ish at the game

i've only ever seen us play Clyde once at pittodrie, was a league cup game early 90s ; 3-1 from memory

Clyde's record home attendance is 52,000, would you believe? It was a wee while ago right enough.