Your Man in Saughton Jail - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Man in Saughton Jail

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Politics is a messy buisness as we have seen this past few years. Personally i think you underestimate alec, if there one politician in this country you dont want to have a ace to grind against you, its salmond. I only see one winner and a lot of losers. Independence being on the losing side but that is no fault of salmond.

I think you’re half right, that he has an axe to grind and I think that’s all he’s focussed on.   I also think that he’s set Alba up as vehicle to help him do exactly that, I don’t think he’s got any real interest in anything else, or if it is then it’s very much secondary. 

The narrative now is if you know who the women are then “it all makes sense”.  As I’ve said before, I know who some are and I can see an alternative reality which explains why they came forwards when they did and it’s all to do with a shift in the power differential, both between Salmond and the complainers but also generally post-Weinstein and #metoo.

If you give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he does genuinely think he’s done nothing that was worthy of criminal activity and he may be right in that as I think - my opinion - he was overcharged.  His basic line of defence seems to confirm that.  However, the problem is that I suspect he has no idea of how these incidents were viewed at the time by those on the other side.  That shows to me a lack of self awareness.

The problem I’d see is if the identities of these complainers become public, ie, one of them decides to waive their right to anonymity, then what do you think will happen next?   There’ll be a queue of friendly journalists looking to interview them to get their side of the story which I suspect will not be very flattering to Salmond.

I go back to my comment about Sturgeon being able to bury him should she wish to.  Undoubtedly she knows where a lot of the bodies are buried in general terms, but what I specifically meant, was she was asked in the inquiry when her attitude  to Salmond changed and her reply was - words to the effect of - what he told me at my house that day about the events and his response to them.   I don’t think that was so much about the two complaints, although the more serious one was pretty bad, but I’d suggest more about how *he* viewed them and the women involved.   Her later - documented - comments to him about dealing with the substance of the complaints rather than the process tends to support that.  

There’s never been a winner for independence here.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think you’re half right, that he has an axe to grind and I think that’s all he’s focussed on.   I also think that he’s set Alba up as vehicle to help him do exactly that, I don’t think he’s got any real interest in anything else, or if it is then it’s very much secondary. 

The narrative now is if you know who the women are then “it all makes sense”.  As I’ve said before, I know who some are and I can see an alternative reality which explains why they came forwards when they did and it’s all to do with a shift in the power differential, both between Salmond and the complainers but also generally post-Weinstein and #metoo.

If you give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he does genuinely think he’s done nothing that was worthy of criminal activity and he may be right in that as I think - my opinion - he was overcharged.  His basic line of defence seems to confirm that.  However, the problem is that I suspect he has no idea of how these incidents were viewed at the time by those on the other side.  That shows to me a lack of self awareness.

The problem I’d see is if the identities of these complainers become public, ie, one of them decides to waive their right to anonymity, then what do you think will happen next?   There’ll be a queue of friendly journalists looking to interview them to get their side of the story which I suspect will not be very flattering to Salmond.

I go back to my comment about Sturgeon being able to bury him should she wish to.  Undoubtedly she knows where a lot of the bodies are buried in general terms, but what I specifically meant, was she was asked in the inquiry when her attitude  to Salmond changed and her reply was - words to the effect of - what he told me at my house that day about the events and his response to them.   I don’t think that was so much about the two complaints, although the more serious one was pretty bad, but I’d suggest more about how *he* viewed them and the women involved.   Her later - documented - comments to him about dealing with the substance of the complaints rather than the process tends to support that.  

There’s never been a winner for independence here.

Regarding sturgeon burying salmond, i really dont think thats the case and i know 100% of something alec could come out with to pretty much wreck sturgeons credibility. Theres no illegality in it, and nothing to do with her and peters marriage. I have said it on here previously. It is not Sturgeon that alec feels wronged him. Her incompetence and her choice in council have completely and totally boxed her in. I also believe both are trying to navigate a path least destructive to independence, i think indy is fucked for the next ten years now 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Regarding sturgeon burying salmond, i really dont think thats the case and i know 100% of something alec could come out with to pretty much wreck sturgeons credibility. Theres no illegality in it, and nothing to do with her and peters marriage. I have said it on here previously. It is not Sturgeon that alec feels wronged him. Her incompetence and her choice in council have completely and totally boxed her in. I also believe both are trying to navigate a path least destructive to independence, i think indy is fucked for the next ten years now 

Oh I don't doubt for a minute that Salmond knows about any skeletons in the FM's closet but this whole thing seems to be a scorched earth approach with no thought given to the fallout.

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Given he led a campaign that failed, then i think he has to take some of the blame.

The fact he got us a referendum was never in the script, hows sturgeon getting on with getting us a referendum on the back of half a dozen mandates 

10 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Yeah and he was the guy who in a snap decision left her with the keys of the Independence movement... he's got a blind spot with her. Is that not obvious by now?