Killie - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/7/2022 at 2:31 PM, Diamond Scot said:

In terms of traditional supporter size (not neccesarily attendences), where do Killie rank?

Obviously the Old Firm are out in front but after that are Aberdeen the biggest? Id have thought Hearts and Hibs should be up there and then perhaps the Dundee clubs. I remember reading that Dundee is historically the better supported club in the city but Utd have always seemed bigger to me, perhaps because of my age.

Where do the Ayrshire clubs rank and is there much difference between Killie and Ayr Utd?

I'd say Hearts are biggest supported club after the 2 OF. 

After that Aberdeen then Hibs. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd say Hearts are biggest supported club after the 2 OF. 

After that Aberdeen then Hibs. 

Then the 2 Dundee clubs?

The reason I was thinking about it is that ive always considered Killie to be a top flight club but with the relegation it made me think whether they were any bigger than alot of other clubs who dropped out of the top flight but struggled to make their way back.

Partick, Dunfermilne, Falkirk and even Airdrie.

Not that it matters as clubs are where they are but would be interesting to see where people thought clubs ranked if they were to do a reset and put the clubs in orser of size / achievements etc

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Then the 2 Dundee clubs?

The reason I was thinking about it is that ive always considered Killie to be a top flight club but with the relegation it made me think whether they were any bigger than alot of other clubs who dropped out of the top flight but struggled to make their way back.

Not that it matters as clubs are where they are but would be interesting to see where people thought clubs ranked if they were to do a reset and put the clubs in orser of size / achievements etc

Size

Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd, the rest

Achievements

Aberdeen ️, Celtic ️, Rangers ️, Dundee Utd, the rest

Greatest Achiemevent

Rangers (55 titles in 10 years), the rest

Most offended

Celtic, Rangers, no one 

Cuntness of supporters

Celtic/Rangers, Hearts, no one 

Deflectioness

Celtic/Rangers, no one 

Capability of beating Real Madrid in a final 

Aberdeen, no one 

Closeness to a golf course

Aberdeen, not sure about anyone else

Coldest

Aberdeen, ICT, Ross County, everyone else

Best stand

Dundee Utd (Shed), 

Worst stand

Aberdeen (away apparently)

Best food

Dunfermline (steak braidie), Celtic (pizza)

Worst food

Rangers (it gets thrown at you whether you want it or not)

Best hot drink

Ross County (Bovril & spicy rum) we made this up there years ago, it’s wonderful  

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Then the 2 Dundee clubs?

I wouldn't say Dundee are any bigger a club than say Killie or Motherwell. Certainly not in my lifetime and i'm 37. When was the last time Dundee actually won something, must be close to 50 years? They have a decent support but again, i don't think its much bigger (if at all) compared to Motherwell or Killie. 

Killie had been in the top flight for 28 years, Motherwell even longer. In those 28 years, both Dundee clubs have been relegated multiple times spending numerous years kicking about the lower leagues. 

Not saying we are bigger than Dundee or Dundee Utd (we aren't) but i don't think there's much between the clubs. Dundee Utd have a slightly bigger support but support size only one thing i suppose. 

Falkirk are bigger club than St Johnstone. They are fucking rotten though and have been for a large part of my life. Same can be said for Dunfermline.  Airdrie are a complete nonentity, can barely get half a stand full for derby.  Thistle have a decent support and i'd put them just behind likes of Motherwell/Killie/Dundee in terms of size. 

As i said earlier, it's Old firm, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs then there's quite a few clubs of a similar size thereafter. 

Hard to gauge a clubs size though but i've seen Killie in top flight for 28 years on the bounce, 5 times in Europe, win both domestic cups, finishing 3rd/4th numerous times etc, so outwith the city clubd i think only St Johsntone can match or better that (well apart from 28 years on the bounce bit) and even then likes of Aberdeen and Hibs have only won the same amount of trophies in that time (i think) 

In summary, you could argue all day and we are where we are as we were shite last season with two shite managers. Hopefully next season it's 29 out of 30 years in top flight!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

I don't mind Kilmarnock to be honest. There is a reasonably strong connection with my hometown to their past players. Always found their fans to be ok and always enjoyed visiting their ground.

Unfortunately they have a shitey plastic pitch so they can stay in the 2nd tier as far as I'm concerned.

8 hours ago, Mitre said:

I don't mind Kilmarnock to be honest. There is a reasonably strong connection with my hometown to their past players. Always found their fans to be ok and always enjoyed visiting their ground.

Unfortunately they have a shitey plastic pitch so they can stay in the 2nd tier as far as I'm concerned.

Having played on a good few, the Killie pitch isnt the worst. Could do with being abit slicker / wetter.

Livi pitch on the otherhand shouldnt be allowed at any kind of professional football. Its way worse than anything you will find. I couldnt believe it but its actually uneven, really sticky and has such an inconsistent roll and bounce.

3 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Plastic pitch = diddy club. If you can't run your club without installing one of these to "generate extra revenue" then you're a diddy club.

We generate zero revenue from our pitch. 

Never been and never will used by anyone other than the football club. 

Well with the exception of Junior Cup Finals and internationals and the grass pitch was used for that too. 

Plenty of diddy clubs that are playing int eh CL that have non grass pitches. 

You have areas of your stadium without a bloody roof and seats bolted onto a terracing in half your stadium so don't think you are in a position to call any club diddies!

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It gets watered constantly before/HT in Killie games. 

Yeah, might be different for the pro games. Was only commenting on my experienc which was about 5 or 6 years ago so might have even been relayed since then. Its just felt abit dry to me but in no way like Livi which is downright dangerous. 

17 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yeah, might be different for the pro games. Was only commenting on my experienc which was about 5 or 6 years ago so might have even been relayed since then. Its just felt abit dry to me but in no way like Livi which is downright dangerous. 

Aye, it was relaid when Clarke was boss. 

20 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We generate zero revenue from our pitch. 

Never been and never will used by anyone other than the football club. 

Well with the exception of Junior Cup Finals and internationals and the grass pitch was used for that too. 

Plenty of diddy clubs that are playing int eh CL that have non grass pitches. 

You have areas of your stadium without a bloody roof and seats bolted onto a terracing in half your stadium so don't think you are in a position to call any club diddies!

Leg-pulling aside, that's pretty interesting. Why lay it at all then? Savings on pitch maintenance? Surely no-one on the football side at Killie thinks that, all else being equal, it's better than a proper pitch?

3 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Leg-pulling aside, that's pretty interesting. Why lay it at all then? Savings on pitch maintenance? Surely no-one on the football side at Killie thinks that, all else being equal, it's better than a proper pitch?

The team train on it meaning no requirement to hire training facilities. 

I believe the long term plan is to open a dedicated club training centre and revert to a grass pitch. The financial challenges of the past couple of years have clearly put that on hold though.

Just now, Toepoke said:

The team train on it meaning no requirement to hire training facilities. 

I believe the long term plan is to open a dedicated club training centre and revert to a grass pitch. The financial challenges of the past couple of years have clearly put that on hold though.

Thanks for the info. So it is cost-saving then.

Diddies 😜

11 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Thanks for the info. So it is cost-saving then.

Diddies 😜

If the club could actaully get planning consent off the council i would be long gone. 

It does have advatanges though, my wee nephew is U9 at Killie and trains on it every week with floodlights on (cost involved there)

These kids get to play on that pitch then go and watch their team play on it every second saturday so from that perspective i don't mind it. 

Once we have the training ground we will go back to grass, Bowie has always said that. 

We were training at Glasgow Science Parks before then which is terrible for community links and meant players were rarely at the stadium. I believe around this time Aberdeen were training on public parks.....diddies.