Full Back Options - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Full Back Options

Third Lanark

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's someone who believes Aaron Hickey can play on the right:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aaron-hickey-scotland-euro-2020-23085224

“I can also play right back as well, which isn’t too much different for me.”

If he gets picked for a future squad, I wouldn't be that suprised if Steve Clarke takes a look at this option in training.

16 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aaron-hickey-scotland-euro-2020-23085224

If he gets picked for a future squad, I wouldn't be that suprised if Steve Clarke takes a look at this option in training.

If quadruple headers, or even triple headers are becoming the norm, then larger squads with significant rotation will be necessary. 

A utility player like Hickey that can play both sides could be vital. It could mean we don't have to resort to last minute callups like we have had to do a lot lately. Even just using the last 2 games as an example. Patterson got suspended, Fraser got "injured", Forrest injured, leaving only SOD to play and us needing to call up Ralston last minute. 

16 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If quadruple headers, or even triple headers are becoming the norm, then larger squads with significant rotation will be necessary. 

A utility player like Hickey that can play both sides could be vital. It could mean we don't have to resort to last minute callups like we have had to do a lot lately. Even just using the last 2 games as an example. Patterson got suspended, Fraser got "injured", Forrest injured, leaving only SOD to play and us needing to call up Ralston last minute. 

I agree. Good points.

7 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Versatile enough to play right back or not reading that report alone should silence any doubters about his desire to play for Scotland. 

Come March hopefully he is still performing great in serie A then the senior call up should come. 

Though if the Villa rumours are true his call up will be dependent on how quickly he can establish himself in the epl. 

6 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Versatile enough to play right back or not reading that report alone should silence any doubters about his desire to play for Scotland. 

Come March hopefully he is still performing great in serie A then the senior call up should come. 

Though if the Villa rumours are true his call up will be dependent on how quickly he can establish himself in the epl. 

I'm still not convinced. He's not exactly going to say fuck Scotland in an interview, is he?

I'm not saying he isn't committed but at the same time, one interview doesn't mean he is committed.

Luckily we have a manger who is not afraid to call out a lack of commitment, like he did with Fraser. I trust Clarke to make a judgement on Hickey.

My own personal opinion is he has a fight on his hands which I'm not sure he can win......yet. on the left we are well covered, that's an understament. On the right we have Patterson, one of the most exciting players we've had for years. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm still not convinced. He's not exactly going to say fuck Scotland in an interview, is he?

I'm not saying he isn't committed but at the same time, one interview doesn't mean he is committed.

Luckily we have a manger who is not afraid to call out a lack of commitment, like he did with Fraser. I trust Clarke to make a judgement on Hickey.

My own personal opinion is he has a fight on his hands which I'm not sure he can win......yet. on the left we are well covered, that's an understament. On the right we have Patterson, one of the most exciting players we've had for years. 

The way I see it is he is in a fight with Taylor, not Robertson or Tierney. That is a fight he can and already should have won. Regarding playing at right back, that should be a last resort, but it's a bonus knowing that if we have a few injuries and suspensions, then we already have a squad player that can cover.

He won't win the fight to be in the first 11, but he should win the fight to be in a 26 man squad.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

The way I see it is he is in a fight with Taylor, not Robertson or Tierney. That is a fight he can and already should have won. Regarding playing at right back, that should be a last resort, but it's a bonus knowing that if we have a few injuries and suspensions, then we already have a squad player that can cover.

He won't win the fight to be in the first 11, but he should win the fight to be in a 26 man squad.

He's right footed but equally confident with either foot, right back is an option for him. He should focus on that if he wants to break in. It would be easier to battle with Patterson instead of Tierney and Robertson 

51 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Hickey will never be first choice with Robertson at lwb but it allows us to keep KT where he is if Robertson ever gets injured or suspended. 

The good thing is that Hickey is 8 years younger than Robertson. You'd think we'll get at least another 5 good years out of Robertson, at which point Hickey would still only be 24. I'm all for getting him in the squad as soon as possible, but there is no huge rush to get him in the starting 11. 

Pretty sure Robertson is one of the players on a yellow going into the semi finals. 

The question for the squad should be who woulf you feel more comfortable playing in the final. Hickey or Taylor? Its not even close imo.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Pretty sure Robertson is one of the players on a yellow going into the semi finals. 

The question for the squad should be who woulf you feel more comfortable playing in the final. Hickey or Taylor? Its not even close imo.

Taylor not exactly starting every week either. Hickey playing every week in a better league.  No brainer really. 

On 1/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, scotlad said:

That wasn't my recollection but fair enough.

He has four career appearances at rightback as far as I am aware, all in 2019, all full 90 played:

1. League cup against Rangers (3:0 loss)
  2. St Johnston in the league (1:0 loss)
  3. Rangers in the league (1:1 draw)
  4. Hamilton in the league (2:2 draw)

As far as I can tell he hasn't played right back since then. Nobody is saying that he can't play right back, but what I at least am saying is he shouldn't be getting into the international squad at rightback until he shows he can play rightback at a high level. He'll struggle to do that if he isn't getting picked there for his club. Both Tierney and Robertson, both much better players than him at this point, have tried and failed to play rightback for Scotland. Hickey may be more successful, but its a risky experiment we don't need to make at this point.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

He has four career appearances at rightback as far as I am aware, all in 2019, all full 90 played:

As far as I can tell he hasn't played right back since then. Nobody is saying that he can't play right back, but what I at least am saying is he shouldn't be getting into the international squad at rightback until he shows he can play rightback at a high level. He'll struggle to do that if he isn't getting picked there for his club. Both Tierney and Robertson, both much better players than him at this point, have tried and failed to play rightback for Scotland. Hickey may be more successful, but its a risky experiment we don't need to make at this point.

Did he not play right back in a final against Celtic?

4 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

A manager doesn't need to see a player play right back to know whether he can kick a ball with his right foot or not. 

When did Robbo play right back for us?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

A manager doesn't need to see a player play right back to know whether he can kick a ball with his right foot or not. 

When did Robbo play right back for us?

I'm not sure kicking a ball with his right foot is the only part of playing right back...?

I thought he had played rightback in one of the 2017 qualifiers, but I went back and checked and Tierney played them all (incidentally 3 wins and a draw - I remember it not working but it can't have been that bad!).

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'm not sure kicking a ball with his right foot is the only part of playing right back...?

I thought he had played rightback in one of the 2017 qualifiers, but I went back and checked and Tierney played them all (incidentally 3 wins and a draw - I remember it not working but it can't have been that bad!).

But playing right back is just exactly the same as playing left back...except on the other side of the pitch

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'm genuinely not sure if you are on the wind up or not...

Wind up?

Left full back and right full back are the exact same position other than playing on the left suits a left-footer better and playing on the right suits a right footer better...if a player is equally adept with both feet then he can comfortably play either full back position without any fuss. The fact Tierney and Robertson struggled at right back is because they are so reliant on their left foot

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Wind up?

Left full back and right full back are the exact same position other than playing on the left suits a left-footer better and playing on the right suits a right footer better...if a player is equally adept with both feet then he can comfortably play either full back position without any fuss. The fact Tierney and Robertson struggled at right back is because they are so reliant on their left foot

There's a reason most full backs play on only one side. There is a world of difference between a genuinely two footed player and a player who looks good on his weaker foot. 

There is currently no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Hickey's weaker foot is good enough to allow him to play at international level on the wrong side. 4 games almost 4 years ago in the SPFL are not evidence that he is two footed to a level that would allow him to play right back at Serie A or international level. He might be able to, but we don't know so he won't get picked there for Scotland.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Wind up?

This discussion reminded me that Paolo Maldini (the quintessential Italian left-back) started as a right-back for AC Milan:

And of course, our own Danny McGrain did pretty well playing both on the left and the right back in the day.
Okay, two rather exceptional players, but shows it can be done?