Full Back Options - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Full Back Options

Third Lanark

4 hours ago, mcguffin said:

This discussion reminded me that Paolo Maldini (the quintessential Italian left-back) started as a right-back for AC Milan:

And of course, our own Danny McGrain did pretty well playing both on the left and the right back in the day.
Okay, two rather exceptional players, but shows it can be done?

Of course it can, it's unusual but if the player is genuinely two footed then there is no problem what so everĀ 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

There's a reason most full backs play on only one side. There is a world of difference between a genuinely two footed player and a player who looks good on his weaker foot.Ā 

There is currently no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Hickey's weaker foot is good enough to allow him to play at international level on the wrong side. 4 games almost 4 years ago in the SPFL are not evidence that he is two footed to a level that would allow him to play right back at Serie A or international level. He might be able to, but we don't know so he won't get picked there for Scotland.

The fact that he is capable of using his right foot while Greg Taylor cannae, is enough to suggest he would be a more worthwhile inclusionĀ 

19 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

There's a reason most full backs play on only one side. There is a world of difference between a genuinely two footed player and a player who looks good on his weaker foot.Ā 

There is currently no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Hickey's weaker foot is good enough to allow him to play at international level on the wrong side. 4 games almost 4 years ago in the SPFL are not evidence that he is two footed to a level that would allow him to play right back at Serie A or international level. He might be able to, but we don't know so he won't get picked there for Scotland.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/hearts-boss-craig-levein-explains-what-makes-aaron-hickey-so-special-543834%3famp

Levein seems to think heā€™s genuinely two footed.Ā 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Good for him. Levein also thinks football teams don't need forwards.

I'll say it one last time and then I'm out. Hickey may yet prove to be the absolute bestest most amazingest right back the world has ever seen and go down as the best player in the entire world, but until such time as he plays right back at any sort of decent level for a consistent period of time he will not be picked there for Scotland. Yes, he should be in the squad over Greg Taylor, but Greg Taylor hasn't been in a squad since what, Denmark in September? That's 6 matches ago which is an eternity in international football.

Are we genuinely debating whether an uncapped 19 year old should be brought into the Scotland squad to play in a position he doesn't play because he might have a good right foot, despite all the evidence pointing to his primary position being left back? I get it, its brilliant we have a player in Serie A and we all think he is good enough to be around the squad, but not as a right back, or a CM for that matter (he's also played there before) or a CB (he's also played there before) or as manager (he once managed the Gorgie under 11s five aside team, probably).

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

So do some of the best and most successful managers in the world.Ā 

Man City and Chelsea reguarly play without forwards and do ok.

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'll say it one last time and then I'm out. Hickey may yet prove to be the absolute bestest most amazingest right back the world has ever seen and go down as the best player in the entire world, but until such time as he plays right back at any sort of decent level for a consistent period of time he will not be picked there for Scotland. Yes, he should be in the squad over Greg Taylor, but Greg Taylor hasn't been in a squad since what, Denmark in September? That's 6 matches ago which is an eternity in international football.

Are we genuinely debating whether an uncapped 19 year old should be brought into the Scotland squad to play in a position he doesn't play because he might have a good right foot, despite all the evidence pointing to his primary position being left back? I get it, its brilliant we have a player in Serie A and we all think he is good enough to be around the squad, but not as a right back, or a CM for that matter (he's also played there before) or a CB (he's also played there before) or as manager (he once managed the Gorgie under 11s five aside team, probably).

I just said Levein says heā€™s two footed and I get War and Peace! Patterson is our right wing back.Ā 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2022 at 3:43 PM, syecosse said:

Livramento seems to be getting plaudits/lists of best youngsters and it was him that let everyone know he was available for Scotland this may be one now for Clarke to pursue with other not playing or performing.Ā 

Surely we have to ask him. He stated that he was eligible and then there's been nothing more about it.Ā  I read earlier that oriley from celtic is going to be called into Denmark squad after just this week saying he's eligible through his mum. The more good players to choose from only helps and I can't understand why we wouldn't pick him

Ralston still playing most weeks and even got a great injury time assist today. I don't think pursuing Livramento or any other right backs will be necessary.Ā 

I see Ralston as O'Donnell's short term replacement. Where as Patterson will be the long term first pick. Ramsay possibly breathing down their necks as well.

32 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Ralston still playing most weeks and even got a great injury time assist today. I don't think pursuing Livramento or any other right backs will be necessary.Ā 

I see Ralston as O'Donnell's short term replacement. Where as Patterson will be the long term first pick. Ramsay possibly breathing down their necks as well.

Would respectfully disagree with thisĀ Livramento is and will be better than Ralston, Ramsey and possibly Patterson.

He is a massive step up from Ralston. Ramsey is pure potential. Paterson has done well but number of minutes in the professional game is very limited and no guarantee he will be getting any significant game time while at Everton.Ā 

Livramento playing at a higher level than all and performing better than all.Ā 

However may not consider himself Scottish so could be a mute point.Ā 

44 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Ralston is in and out of the Celtic team and against stronger opposition Juranovic is usually preferred.

Livramento is a year younger than Patterson yet features regularly for a team placed higher up the table in one of the most demanding leagues in the world. He may not be interested in playing for Scotland but he'd be a significant upgrade on what we have at the moment.

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

Ralston is in and out of the Celtic team and against stronger opposition Juranovic is usually preferred.

Livramento is a year younger than Patterson yet features regularly for a team placed higher up the table in one of the most demanding leagues in the world. He may not be interested in playing for Scotland but he'd be a significant upgrade on what we have at the moment.

I think its unlikely he will choose to play for England as he will get minimal caps with TAA and Reece James also there at right back and he does seem open to switching.Ā 

However I wouldnt be surprised if Portugal come knocking before long. I would doubt they will leave the ball in his court either. This is a player recently included in a world 11 of young players to watch out for.

We should be doing all we can to secure him. Get Che and Armstrong in his ear.Ā 

8 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I think its unlikely he will choose to play for England as he will get minimal caps with TAA and Reece James also there at right back and he does seem open to switching.Ā 

However I wouldnt be surprised if Portugal come knocking before long. I would doubt they will leave the ball in his court either. This is a player recently included in a world 11 of young players to watch out for.

We should be doing all we can to secure him. Get Che and Armstrong in his ear.Ā 

Livremento looks like a class act every time I've seen him. I've speculated on here previously that he looks like he could easily play a few other positions as well. It would be a coup if he committed to us and with some Scots in the Southampton squad hopefully that might happen.