Carlisle - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

In the weeks and months that Scotland is doing well it is not a competition with England

In the weeks that Scotland is not - then it is

Unionism 101

Totally, it’s embarrassing either way. I’ve seen loads of this from both the SNP and unionists.

We should be less concerned about tiny variations in death rates from week to week and more concerned about overall death rates and health outcomes in Scotland compared to everywhere else in Europe. 

https://jech.bmj.com/content/69/1/20

We should focus COVID comparisons on learning from each other and tolerate (encourage even) variations in policy (and experimentation). Instead we pillory anybody that doesn’t conform (remember Norway).

I’m glad England are taking a different approach. We will learn something if their NHS is overwhelmed and we will learn something if it is not. If they get good results then it is good for us all.

Edited by Morrisandmoo

4 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Totally, it’s embarrassing either way. I’ve seen loads of this from both the SNP and unionists.

We should be less concerned about tiny variations in death rates from week to week and more concerned about overall death rates and health outcomes in Scotland compared to everywhere else in Europe. 

https://jech.bmj.com/content/69/1/20

We should focus COVID comparisons on learning from each other and tolerate (encourage even) variations in policy (and experimentation). Instead we pillory anybody that doesn’t conform (remember Norway).

I’m glad England are taking a different approach. We will learn something if their NHS is overwhelmed and we will learn something if it is not. If they get good results then it is good for us all.

Well I am sure the scientists will be learning what they can, from all the evidence across all the countries, and advise the politicians. But in a context where the media are selective in their reporting, I'm not so confident how much the public en masse would learn from it all; and where the national media are shown to be distorting stories, it's inevitable and even reasonable that people will argue back.

3 hours ago, exile said:

Well I am sure the scientists will be learning what they can, from all the evidence across all the countries, and advise the politicians. But in a context where the media are selective in their reporting, I'm not so confident how much the public en masse would learn from it all; and where the national media are shown to be distorting stories, it's inevitable and even reasonable that people will argue back.

Personally I think there are far too many variables to really be able to compare approaches. Sweden is a great example - has it done well or badly and why. This is a rhetorical question by the way because there are so many ways to argue for entirely different conclusions.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, Ally Bongo said:

In the weeks and months that Scotland is doing well it is not a competition with England

In the weeks that Scotland is not - then it is

Unionism 101

I agree, however the SG (rightly or wrongly), have the likes of the Humza who love comparing the two when Scotland are doing well too yet not so prominent when our figures are poor. 

Nature of the beast i suppose but suppose we can't have the SG boasting about being leading the vaccination rates then moan when WM do the same at different stages in the pandemic.

I would prefer they said nothing when asked about comparable rates in other countries but that's never going to happen, either here or WM. 

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I would prefer they said nothing when asked about comparable rates in other countries but that's never going to happen, either here or WM. 

The problem is not the Governments North and South of the border per se

It is the Unionist media - especially at the FM's covid updates - then jumped on by the Unionist parties who fed the media the questions in the first place !

How many times has NS stated at these updates that she doesnt want to make it political but is pressed into it by the likes of Blackley from the Mail, Dross, Anus and Baillie uttering complete bollocks about statistics and their "Scotland is shite" mantra ?

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I agree, however the SG (rightly or wrongly), have the likes of the Humza who love comparing the two when Scotland are doing well too yet not so prominent when our figures are poor. 

Nature of the beast i suppose but suppose we can't have the SG boasting about being leading the vaccination rates then moan when WM do the same at different stages in the pandemic.

When did they do that?

The only reason the Scottish Government make the comparisons is because the media are constantly trying to paint Scotland in a comparatively bad light. They are forced into the comparisons otherwise all we would get is the negative press comments.

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

The only reason the Scottish Government make the comparisons is because the media are constantly trying to paint Scotland in a comparatively bad light. They are forced into the comparisons otherwise all we would get is the negative press comments.

Too generous. 

The SNP and Nicola Sturgeon post some amount of shite on social media. And nobody is making them. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

13 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Too generous. 

The SNP and Nicola Sturgeon post some amount of shite on social media. And nobody is making them. 

I suppose that depends on how you define making them

25 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Too generous. 

Apart from the all out assault from the London owned media and British Nationalist parties

Someone probably has a dossier of not only the lies they have told but the undermining of the health messages since the start

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Apart from the all out assault from the London owned media and British Nationalist parties

Someone probably has a dossier of not only the lies they have told but the undermining of the health messages since the start

The inevitable public inquiry *must* include the role of the media has played but I’m not holding my breath.  BTW, that applies to England as well.

Edited by aaid

4 hours ago, Lamia said:

Exactly. Scotland is frequently compared to the rest of the UK, particularly England. More often than not it's the people asking the questions who are defining the terms.