Billy Gilmour at Norwich - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour at Norwich

thesaint

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I think Gilmour desperately needs first team football in a team that is not in a relegation dog fight. So a year on loan to Rangers might not be the worst idea in the world. But, no disrespect to Rangers, I think he can do a lot better. Which is why a loan would be better than a permanent. I wouldn't want him spending 3-4 years in the SPFL when he should be in a better league. 

As Ferguson says, he is a special talent. However, he's still only 21. Callum McGregor wasn't a starter for Celtic at that point. John McGinn was at Hibs(?) at that age. Robertson was still at Dundee Utd, I think. There is no need to panic. Especially since McGregor, McTominay and McGinn are doing so well in central midfieldd at the moment.

Andy Robertson moved to Hull when he was 20.

I remember some of the ridiculous hype on here after he had made his first start or two for Chelsea, about what both Billy Gilmour and Scotland were about to go on to achieve. That thread should be held up and quoted as an example to people about getting carried away with hype and expectations.

What I notice on here is that when it comes to young Scottish players, some of our fans seem to only ever envisage this incredible upward trajectory for these players’ careers, not realising that there are all kinds of factors that need to fall into place, for a player to have a successful career and players’ careers can fluctuate and fail to reach their potential for any number of reasons.

Barring Callum McGregor, Andy Robertson and a couple of other more senior players in the squad, whose careers have settled at a consistent level, nobody can confidently predict how the rest of our players’ careers will pan out and what level they will end up playing at. Particularly given that a majority of our players play for clubs outside the ‘big six’ in England and can therefore very quickly find themselves powerless to going from playing in the lower half of the English Premiership, to playing in the lower half of the English Championship, through no major fault of their own.

3 hours ago, SamP said:

Great article from Barry and makes sense all round for Gilmour and Scottish Football.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/billy-gilmour-rangers-would-not-29590667

Barry suggests that he would improve the current Scotland team. Well, I'd love to know who he would drop for him as he plays pretty much in the McTom and Jack positions and the latter cannot get in.

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Barry suggests that he would improve the current Scotland team. Well, I'd love to know who he would drop for him as he plays pretty much in the McTom and Jack positions and the latter cannot get in.

The more talent we have in there the better though.  Gilmour needs regular club games.  He would be treated well by Rangers and fans alike and maybe give him a bit of a kickstart in his career again.

1 hour ago, Whelky75 said:

I remember some of the ridiculous hype on here after he had made his first start or two for Chelsea, about what both Billy Gilmour and Scotland were about to go on to achieve. That thread should be held up and quoted as an example to people about getting carried away with hype and expectations.

What I notice on here is that when it comes to young Scottish players, some of our fans seem to only ever envisage this incredible upward trajectory for these players’ careers, not realising that there are all kinds of factors that need to fall into place, for a player to have a successful career and players’ careers can fluctuate and fail to reach their potential for any number of reasons.

Barring Callum McGregor, Andy Robertson and a couple of other more senior players in the squad, whose careers have settled at a consistent level, nobody can confidently predict how the rest of our players’ careers will pan out and what level they will end up playing at. Particularly given that a majority of our players play for clubs outside the ‘big six’ in England and can therefore very quickly find themselves powerless to going from playing in the lower half of the English Premiership, to playing in the lower half of the English Championship, through no major fault of their own.

It's not like he was playing for Bathgate juniors and everyone was saying he would win the Champions League. He was starting and excelling in games for one of the world's biggest clubs and his country against genuine world class opposition and was playing exceptionally well (winning MOTM on more than one occasion). The hype was justified no matter the disappointing scenario that has since unfolded.

Just now, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

It's not like he was playing for Bathgate juniors and everyone was saying he would win the Champions League. He was starting and excelling in games for one of the world's biggest clubs and his country against genuine world class opposition and was playing exceptionally well (winning MOTM on more than one occasion). The hype was justified no matter the disappointing scenario that has since unfolded.

I was talking about after that one League Cup match against Liverpool and the match that followed. Some of the jumps that people were making in his career from there were frightening.

1 hour ago, Whelky75 said:

I remember some of the ridiculous hype on here after he had made his first start or two for Chelsea, about what both Billy Gilmour and Scotland were about to go on to achieve

I thought you were a new member, and yet, “I sense something, a presence I’ve not felt since…”

He's probably in for a tough time between now and the end of the season but he just needs to knuckle down and try impress the manager as much as he can in training and there's a good chance one of if, if not both Caicedo & Mac Allister leave in the summer. A bit of adversity should put him in good stead for the future.
Remember when Robbo went to Liverpool and he couldn't even get on the bench for the first few months? It was only because Moreno got injured and he came straight in with top performances that he cemented himself as first choice

On 3/28/2023 at 2:46 PM, vanderark14 said:

His only option is the championship or SPFL, really? He can't go overseas?

He might get an offer from another top league on the continent but would that be guaranteed first team football. Would a la liga or serie a team neccessarily want to give him a proper chance in their first team.

I think in terms of an absolute guaranteed chance of first team football which is what he needs then sonlmewhere like rangers or an english championship team might be the best or only option. 

Maybe portugal might be good for him if he can find a team that will play him but i  cant see the big 3 taking him.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

He might get an offer from another top league on the continent but would that be guaranteed first team football. Would a la liga or serie a team neccessarily want to give him a proper chance in their first team.

I think in terms of an absolute guaranteed chance of first team football which is what he needs then sonlmewhere like rangers or an english championship team might be the best or only option. 

If he’s good enough…… which I strongly believe he is…… then he has to fight for his place in a team. He can’t run back to a level that is below him, he has to dig in for it. Yes he needs some luck in this but packing it and running back to a lower level can be done later if he fails. 

46 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

If he’s good enough…… which I strongly believe he is…… then he has to fight for his place in a team. He can’t run back to a level that is below him, he has to dig in for it. Yes he needs some luck in this but packing it and running back to a lower level can be done later if he fails. 

Whys the english championship or rangers below him? We started 4 players from the english championship against spain. 

Hes at a crucial point in his career. If he spends another season not playing much then i firmly believe he probably wont make it as an epl level player. Hes 22 this summer. 

A season of just playing football every week is just what he needs even if its in the english championship. Then he can step up again and try the epl again. 

I would like to see a Portuguese team or la liga team take him but wether that will happen is hard to tell.

Maybe brighton might give him a chance next season depending who they buy and sell but its not looking good so far.

3 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

A teenager doesn’t give a MoM performance in a European championship game at Wembley against England to end up a couple of years later at Rangers or the 2nd division in England. 

Thats how it goes sometimes. Plenty of youth prospects have good games but then fade out and have to drop a level. I am not suggesting he spends his entire career in the 2nd flight or at rangers but deluding ourselves that hes definitely going to be good enough for the epl is not a good idea. He needs games under his belt quick or he will end up another barry bannan. 

I am confused where the massive optimism is coming from with gilmour. I could understand if he got even the odd game here and there but he gets next to nothing. 

All our best players have played lower league football barring mctominay.

Agree with what you’re saying to degree, but still think he needs to try and get through this period rather than run away and drop down to a lower standard.

if a surgeon became a St John’s ambulanceman every time he had a complex patient he’d never become a decent surgeon 😆

he has ability and time is still (just about) on his side.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gilmour needs to move to somewhere that will benefit him to become a better player technically and be tested at a high level. On both accounts that is NOT Rangers. Better off heading abroad to Spain, Italy, Portugal or France if possible.

Has to be somewhere he has a chance of a game.  He is at risk of dropping out the squad completely.