Billy Gilmour at Norwich - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour at Norwich

thesaint

On 3/24/2023 at 1:13 PM, vanderark14 said:

Not one single person has griped about rangers. Coming back to the SPFL is beneath him in my opinion, he is far too good for this league..............thats what I have said. 

Eh? What has he done that could possibly make you think hes too good for the spfl

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Eh? What has he done that could possibly make you think hes too good for the spfl

It's not what he's done, I think hes too talented for the Scottish league, he could still get a gig in the EPL or he should go overseas IMO. 

Going back to the Scottish league is not a good move, he would learn nothing here. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Have seen plenty of performances from him at both club and international level against elite level opponents that suggest he belongs at that level. People have short memories. Fair enough he can’t get in to (probably) brightons greatest ever side in their history but previous form is always the best predictor of future performance. He would 100 pc be too good for spfl if I assume you mean he signs for rangers given A his talent,  B his teammates around him who incidentally are also too good for the spfl and C his opponents in the spfl would be lucky to get into a top half English championship team.

47 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

How is this even being debated?

Dunno.

along with our other very good players in this squad , barring injury Billy Gilmour will be in the midst of it next summer in Germany 

I think in the long run he'll come good. Very unlucky to pitch up at Brighton just as they go on a superb run of form with terrific performances by 3 or 4 midfielders to keep him on the bench. Don't really recall much in the way of injuries or suspensions meaning he's called on to step in and stake a claim. Don't even start on Mac Allister coming back a World Cup winner 😂

8 hours ago, jailender said:

If he is that good, why's he not got clubs fighting to sign him. Honest question. Maybe he's not as good as some think he is. 

Is the measure of a player down to the amount of clubs chasing them?

I don't hear of clubs chasing John mcginn except tedious press links. Does this mean John mcginn isn't as good as we think he is?

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is the measure of a player down to the amount of clubs chasing them?

I don't hear of clubs chasing John mcginn except tedious press links. Does this mean John mcginn isn't as good as we think he is?

No I don't think it is.

We only hear newspaper tittle tattle about players who are clearly unsettled at a club which Billy Gilmour certainly is. McGinn is settled at Villa who are not looking to sell and he seems content there hence nothing for the media to feed off or bother digging for links.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I don't think it is.

We only hear newspaper tittle tattle about players who are clearly unsettled at a club which Billy Gilmour certainly is. McGinn is settled at Villa who are not looking to sell and he seems content there hence nothing for the media to feed off or bother digging for links.

A better example could be Tierney, he is not playing every week yet there is no speculation surrounding him.

That's a good point. Gilmour has that wee nagging doubt hanging over him due to lack of consistent game time. Very promising performances for Chelsea and Scotland but never cemented his place for Chelsea, albeit with a change of manager. Same happened to him at Brighton. Norwich was probably good for his development but he didn't shine. It did seem at times that he was at a different level to his teammates there. Taking the ball in tight spaces but then finding no pass on due to lack of movement. Making passes into space that were the 'right' ball if you're at Chelsea but not being read by Norwich players. Reminded me of Tommy Burns when he arrived at Killie. 

Edited by killiefaetheferry

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not what he's done, I think hes too talented for the Scottish league, he could still get a gig in the EPL or he should go overseas IMO. 

Going back to the Scottish league is not a good move, he would learn nothing here. 

I really doubt that another Premier league team in England would be interested in Gilmour at the moment. He's been at three Premier league clubs; two of them he hasn't broken into the first team and the other was relegated.

Unless he can get into the Brighton team over the summer, his next move would be down a division or abroad. 

Would be thoroughly depressing to see him move to Rangers. 

Gilmour should take advantage of recent publicity to force a move to Italy. He has the technical ability to thrive there.

Edit - beat me too it Slasher! 😄

Edited by Judith

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

A better example could be Tierney, he is not playing every week yet there is no speculation surrounding him.

There's been a bit of speculation about Newcastle being interested in KT for a while now.

He needs to pick his next club, loan or permanent move carefully, assuming he doesn’t make it at Brighton. 

I think he’s overhyped by a lot of Scotland fans, probably myself at some points as well. 

Don’t get me wrong he’s potentially a good player but needs to show it soon and over a consistent period. 

17 hours ago, JECK said:

Have seen plenty of performances from him at both club and international level against elite level opponents that suggest he belongs at that level. People have short memories. Fair enough he can’t get in to (probably) brightons greatest ever side in their history but previous form is always the best predictor of future performance. He would 100 pc be too good for spfl if I assume you mean he signs for rangers given A his talent,  B his teammates around him who incidentally are also too good for the spfl and C his opponents in the spfl would be lucky to get into a top half English championship team.

If his team mates were too good for the spfl they wouldnt already be playing there. The spfl was good enough for guys like tierney, dembele, van dijk, armstrong, mcginn, ferguson, hickey. 

One of our best players right now is callum mcgregor who plays spfl.

Rangers and celtic would be a great move for gilmour right now. I find it amazing ppl think that a guy who cant get a game for brighton and who was pretty terrible at times for norwich last season would be too good for celtic and rangers. Spending a couple of seasons playing european football and challenging for trophies would be great for him. Then he could move back to the epl at 24 having developed his game. 

Is gilmour better than the guys i listed? 

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He needs to pick his next club, loan or permanent move carefully, assuming he doesn’t make it at Brighton. 

I think he’s overhyped by a lot of Scotland fans, probably myself at some points as well. 

Don’t get me wrong he’s potentially a good player but needs to show it soon and over a consistent period. 

He needs a good couple of seasons playing football even if its just in the english championship or spfl. Hes far too passive in his play. He chooses the safe option too much and never makes things happen. 

Its mad how delusional ppl get over a young player breaking through in the epl. A couple of appearances and suddenly the players too good to drop down and gain experience playing at a lower level. I suggested about 2 seasons ago that gilmour play a season in the english championship to develop his game but that was rubbished by certain posters as being beneath gilmour. Now its 2 years on and gilmours only option is to spend a season or two in the english championship or spfl getting gametime. 

Gilmours development has stalled this last 2 seasons by not getting proper gametime. If you contrast that with hayden hackney or lewis ferguson then its obvious that playing a season or 2 lower league football can be very beneficial to a young player.

I will say the same about doak. A season playing english championship or even a loan to celtic could be excellent for his career. Getting the odd few mins here and there isnt always great even if its at epl level.

20 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He needs a good couple of seasons playing football even if its just in the english championship or spfl. Hes far too passive in his play. He chooses the safe option too much and never makes things happen. 

Its mad how delusional ppl get over a young player breaking through in the epl. A couple of appearances and suddenly the players too good to drop down and gain experience playing at a lower level. I suggested about 2 seasons ago that gilmour play a season in the english championship to develop his game but that was rubbished by certain posters as being beneath gilmour. Now its 2 years on and gilmours only option is to spend a season or two in the english championship or spfl getting gametime. 

Gilmours development has stalled this last 2 seasons by not getting proper gametime. If you contrast that with hayden hackney or lewis ferguson then its obvious that playing a season or 2 lower league football can be very beneficial to a young player.

I will say the same about doak. A season playing english championship or even a loan to celtic could be excellent for his career. Getting the odd few mins here and there isnt always great even if its at epl level.

His only option is the championship or SPFL, really? He can't go overseas?

1 hour ago, slasher said:

People are talking like he’s in the last chance saloon but he has plenty time on his side yet.

We’re too quick to write people off in this country just as we’re a bit too quick at building them up 😂

I think in Gilmours case some of the hype was justified. The performance at Wembley and then playing in the CL for chelsea was huge for a very young Scottish player but now hes had a few setbacks which can IMO easily recover from if he makes a good move in the summer. 

6 minutes ago, SamP said:

Great article from Barry and makes sense all round for Gilmour and Scottish Football.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/billy-gilmour-rangers-would-not-29590667

I think Gilmour desperately needs first team football in a team that is not in a relegation dog fight. So a year on loan to Rangers might not be the worst idea in the world. But, no disrespect to Rangers, I think he can do a lot better. Which is why a loan would be better than a permanent. I wouldn't want him spending 3-4 years in the SPFL when he should be in a better league. 

As Ferguson says, he is a special talent. However, he's still only 21. Callum McGregor wasn't a starter for Celtic at that point. John McGinn was at Hibs(?) at that age. Robertson was still at Dundee Utd, I think. There is no need to panic. Especially since McGregor, McTominay and McGinn are doing so well in central midfieldd at the moment.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I think Gilmour desperately needs first team football in a team that is not in a relegation dog fight. So a year on loan to Rangers might not be the worst idea in the world. But, no disrespect to Rangers, I think he can do a lot better. Which is why a loan would be better than a permanent. I wouldn't want him spending 3-4 years in the SPFL when he should be in a better league. 

As Ferguson says, he is a special talent. However, he's still only 21. Callum McGregor wasn't a starter for Celtic at that point. John McGinn was at Hibs(?) at that age. Robertson was still at Dundee Utd, I think. There is no need to panic. Especially since McGregor, McTominay and McGinn are doing so well in central midfieldd at the moment.

I think a loan deal for a year could kickstart him again.  Instead of going to a bottom range English club he would enjoy going back to Rangers as he loves the club and is familiar with the surroundings.  It could be a win win for all round.