Billy Gilmour at Norwich - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour at Norwich

thesaint

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Perhaps, but he needs to play every week. 

He's talented enough to do that in Italy or Spain in my opinion. I'd rather see him go to a top end english championship side instead of going to rangers  

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He's talented enough to do that in Italy or Spain in my opinion. I'd rather see him go to a top end english championship side instead of going to rangers  

I'm not really sure about that. Playing in a team that will see plenty of the ball like Rangers would be good for him, and he would get exposure to European competition. His current trajectory in England has a severe risk of him falling into the EFL wilderness and playing in League 1 in 5 years

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'm not really sure about that. Playing in a team that will see plenty of the ball like Rangers would be good for him, and he would get exposure to European competition. His current trajectory in England has a severe risk of him falling into the EFL wilderness and playing in League 1 in 5 years

He's 21, John McGinn didn't move to the EPL until he was what, 24/25? Andy Robertson must have been around 24 when he made his Liverpool breakthrough. Adams was around 23 when he made his EPL debut. He has plenty time to become a really top player.

I agree he needs games but we shouldn't forget we are discussing a guy with 40 career EPL appearances at 21. He's got very little chance of dropping to League 1 now or in the near future.

46 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

He's 21, John McGinn didn't move to the EPL until he was what, 24/25? Andy Robertson must have been around 24 when he made his Liverpool breakthrough. Adams was around 23 when he made his EPL debut. He has plenty time to become a really top player.

I agree he needs games but we shouldn't forget we are discussing a guy with 40 career EPL appearances at 21. He's got very little chance of dropping to League 1 now or in the near future.

Agreed

Going back to Rangers would be two steps backwards IMO. He would look like Messi playing in our tin pot league, he is better than the SPFL IMO

Agree a return 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Agreed

Going back to Rangers would be two steps backwards IMO. He would look like Messi playing in our tin pot league, he is better than the SPFL IMO

At his current stage he will most likely have to move back now to go forwards. Both a return to Scotland or the EFL would be a step back for sure.

I think there is a general misconception about the standard of Scottish Premier vs Eng Champ. Having been to quite a lot of Championship games I can say that the standard of the average game isn't that great. It looks good because most games command 20,000 supporters or thereabouts and there's a bit more money so it will attract the a few better players.

At least with a Rangers return he would have a chance to grown in a win at all costs atmosphere.

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Agree a return 

At his current stage he will most likely have to move back now to go forwards. Both a return to Scotland or the EFL would be a step back for sure.

I think there is a general misconception about the standard of Scottish Premier vs Eng Champ. Having been to quite a lot of Championship games I can say that the standard of the average game isn't that great. It looks good because most games command 20,000 supporters or thereabouts and there's a bit more money so it will attract the a few better players.

At least with a Rangers return he would have a chance to grown in a win at all costs atmosphere.

do you think he would be guaranteed a start at Rangers?

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Fuck off 🤣🤣🤣🤣 this can't be a serious question🤣🤣🤣🤣

all I’m saying is his forms out the window.  His confidence will be at rock bottom.  If rangers have aspirations to win the league you would want a proven quantity.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

all I’m saying is his forms out the window.  His confidence will be at rock bottom.  If rangers have aspirations to win the league you would want a proven quantity.

Give it up min. The fishing attempts are boring.

Get yer arse out to Italy Billy!

Forza Scozia! 🇮🇹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇹

Edited by Judith

18 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Agree a return 

The English Championship is a bizzare division. I’ve been watching quite a few of the games on sky since the new year and it varies in quality drastically game to game even sometimes from the same team. One week a team will be playing fluid flowing football the next they’re hoofing it and all the goals are a scrappy mess. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

The English Championship is a bizzare division. I’ve been watching quite a few of the games on sky since the new year and it varies in quality drastically game to game even sometimes from the same team. One week a team will be playing fluid flowing football the next they’re hoofing it and all the goals are a scrappy mess. 

It is a long slog of a season in fairness, maybe that is the determining factor that it's hard to look at the quality of the league on face value of just a few games,

Think he'll pop up where Lampard manages next.

It's easy to forget he was starting 4-5 games in a row for Chelsea but then lockdown happened and season stopped and he got a bad injury around that time which had him out for many months. When he returned Lampard had been sacked.

Brighton looked a logical move to me but trouble there is he signed and then Potter left a week later and again seems he's had injury issues.

He's certainly lost momentum in last two years. Norwich loan didn't work out at all but says something that a progressive club like Brighton were still happy to take him permanently as they can see the long term. Of course if they make europa he can stay there and get a decent number of starts as they don't have endless depth in CM and one of their main guys will probably leave as nearly happened with Caicedo in January.

He's probably in same position as Ethan Ampadu is. He's currently at Spezia in the lower reaches of Serie A but still actually a Chelsea player. Regardless of club form he still starts every single time for Wales.

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Not sure I've seen a coherent argument yet on the thought of Gilmour going back to Rangers that isn't just a general gripe about Rangers

Not one single person has griped about rangers. Coming back to the SPFL is beneath him in my opinion, he is far too good for this league..............thats what I have said. 

Edited by vanderark14

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Not sure I've seen a coherent argument yet on the thought of Gilmour going back to Rangers that isn't just a general gripe about Rangers

Why Rangers tho, why not Celtic for that matter? You fundamentally do not get tested when playing for the old firm. Both teams just buy players that are way too good for the league and are made to look like world superstars.  Look how Celtic just decimate teams with rarely a glove laid on them. Rangers aren’t that far behind them. They are essentially playing the equivalent of lower championship/English league 1&2 level every week which is not Gilmours level at all

On 3/24/2023 at 1:13 PM, vanderark14 said:

Not one single person has griped about rangers. Coming back to the SPFL is beneath him in my opinion, he is far too good for this league..............thats what I have said. 

He’s not really proving that at the moment though is he? 

I don’t think he should come back up here either but he’s not exactly setting the EPL alight like we all hoped he would a couple of years ago.