Billy Gilmour at Norwich - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour at Norwich

thesaint

Get the feeling that Billy Gilmour's form is getting pulled down by playing in that pretty useless Norwich team.Even somebody with his talent can eventually drop his standards to the level of those around him.Can only hope if he is still at Norwich come March,that when he plays for Scotland and maybe with a team that plays to his strenghts that he will be able to perform to his usual standards for us.It seems such a waste him playing for such a poor team.Must be soul destroying for him.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Fuck off back to Chelsea” the Norwich fans were chanting to him today 🤨
At least he’s now getting a game and if that continues he’ll be match fit for the Ukraine game. Mind he went down with cramp after about 70 mins v Denmark purely through the lack of game-time. 

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

His “form” shows one assist and no goals since he got there 

Neither are really his job. He is playing deep and is supposed to supply the ball to the player that creates the assist. None of his team mates are available through their inability to take up positions. Team he should really be playing for is Man United, he can do everything Fred and Mctominay do and would do it better. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

“Fuck off back to Chelsea” the Norwich fans were chanting to him today 🤨
At least he’s now getting a game and if that continues he’ll be match fit for the Ukraine game. Mind he went down with cramp after about 70 mins v Denmark purely through the lack of game-time. 

Not aware that the players he's keeping out of the Norwich team are any better than him. Bit of a bounce factor when Smith was appointed but seems a long time ago.

Whatever happens he does need to get himself away from there but once the fans turn turn it’s difficult to turn them back.

Although the problem he still has is it’s difficult to step up , if an experience at Norwich has been a failure .

However the bar was set at an unrealistic level regarding his abilities and what was expected of him at Norwich 

Edited by DAVIDB46

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’s still only 20 and you’d think he’ll learn a lot by playing 30 odd games for Norwich, even if he’s in the losing team more often than not and they are relegated. 

Absolutely. He will be able to hone his defensive side and highlight weaknesses in his game far better than playing for a dominant, possession based team. Billy Gilmour will be fine. Norwich won't.

I also had a quick look at the Norwich forum, which I never do, and it seems the consensus is that he is too lightweight. If that is his biggest flaw then Hooray, because adding muscle mass is something just about every man can do. 

Edited by Tartan blood

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Absolutely. He will be able to hone his defensive side and highlight weaknesses in his game far better than playing for a dominant, possession based team. Billy Gilmour will be fine. Norwich won't.

I also had a quick look at the Norwich forum, which I never do, and it seems the consensus is that he is too lightweight. If that is his biggest flaw then Hooray, because adding muscle mass is something just about every man can do. 

I read somewhere that the Chelsea backroom coaches watch all  of Billy Gilmour's games and provide detailed feedback and 'things to work on' instructions after every game. Dean Smith's team will also be analysing his performances and working with him every day on the training ground. Smith is no mug. From an outside, Scotland-fan perspective, it is difficult to take when you see some Norwich fans singling out one of our young players for dog's abuse. But on the inside, it might actually be a very different experience? Maybe even an invaluable learning experience under immense pressure?

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I read somewhere that the Chelsea backroom coaches watch all  of Billy Gilmour's games and provide detailed feedback and 'things to work on' instructions after every game. Dean Smith's team will also be analysing his performances and working with him every day on the training ground. Smith is no mug. From an outside, Scotland-fan perspective, it is difficult to take when you see some Norwich fans singling out one of our young players for dog's abuse. But on the inside, it might actually be a very different experience? Maybe even an invaluable learning experience under immense pressure?

Chelsea have a set of coaches dedicated to monitoring the progress of loan players.  Carlo Cudicini manages the group which includes Tore Andre Flo and Paulo Ferriera.  It’s not just a case of punting someone out on loan and forgetting about them. 

Comments from 'supporters' in the local press suggest it's not just a small group of their away support giving him dogs abuse

It's only going to get worse for him if that's the general / overall attitudes at CR

That said, perhaps there are benefits from toughing it out though

Edited by Redz

I've not seen Norwich enough, but as long as he does his stuff for us then who cares about the Canaries and their petty fans. 

Even if someone wasn't great, imaging singing that at one of your own players! 

Watch him have a marvelous couple of games for us in March and cue the fickle "why didn't he do that for us" Norwich fans.

26 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If he has got anything about him he will ignore it and use the opportunity to put himself in the shop window.

What does that even mean? So, if his skin isn't thick enough then he's not good enough? 

Billy Gilmour has only ever known success and adoration. This could cripple him or teach him humility. But it would be unfair to expect him to just take this in his stride. Your own supporters telling you, a kid barely out of your teens, to f*ck off, is not a common thing most player's have to deal with as part of their development.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Chelsea have a set of coaches dedicated to monitoring the progress of loan players.  Carlo Cudicini manages the group which includes Tore Andre Flo and Paulo Ferriera.  It’s not just a case of punting someone out on loan and forgetting about them. 

👍

35 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

What does that even mean? So, if his skin isn't thick enough then he's not good enough? 

Billy Gilmour has only ever known success and adoration. This could cripple him or teach him humility. But it would be unfair to expect him to just take this in his stride. Your own supporters telling you, a kid barely out of your teens, to f*ck off, is not a common thing most player's have to deal with as part of their development.

Gilmour comes across as very level headed and grounded young man.  I'm not sure what your point is here.

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

Gilmour comes across as very level headed and grounded young man.  I'm not sure what your point is here.

My point is that no one should expect Gilmour to be able to just brush this off and not let it get to him. It could be the making of him, or it could destroy his confidence for a while. So, if his form dips, it'll be totally understandable. 

Saying that, Gilmour has been in the limelight since he was 16, so he might be more used to (wanted or unwanted) attention than most 20 year olds.

Okay, I'm obviously somewhat biased in Gilmour's favour, and I wasn't at the game yesterday, but judging by the highlights I can't see why he's being attacked with such ferocity.

He could, possibly, have defended better for the third (I think) goal but so could several of his teammates - including those who are supposed to be actual defenders!

Gilmour is a playmaker; he's in the side to create chances for others.  It isn't his primary purpose to take chances or stop chances from being made.  Norwich missed several chances, including one when they were still only 1-0 behind (which, incidentally, was created by Billy Gilmour) but didn't they didn't take them.  That isn't Gilmour's fault though.  

32 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

A Norwich supporter has been charged wi racially abusing a Palace player & another being investigated for abusing a Norwich player, could it be Gilmour, absolute scumbag behaviour.

Doesn't surprise me to hear that, there's a lot of white supremist / racist individuals here, sadly

I'm in the process of moving Golf Clubs because of this - Some of which is personal (Being Scottish) dressed up as banter

As a further an example - Someone I know well in the town runs his own business which relies a lot on EU workers - It's not unknown for several of his English workers to refer to / greet them as 'foreigner' as apposed to their actual name

It's sickening, common, far worse than anything I've witnessed at home, and they wouldn't be working for me