Ryan Fraser - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Fraser

bisland boy

I dont think there are many fans who wouldnt have him in thr squad based on talent alone.

Clarke has made public his apparent lack of commitment. Id imagine he has had previous private conversations when he has pulled out previously. 

What I took from Clarkes comments are that the door is still open but he would need to work harder than usual to gain the trust back and earn a place. Personally I cant see Fraser getting enough game time to get back in this season so it might be a while before he is in contention.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Hes great when on form but if he's not committed he can fuck off. 

When’s he ever really on form though?  He’s really only had that one season, his second last season at Bournemouth when he was very good and which led to lots of reported interest from bigger clubs.   Outwith that, his general level is decent but not great and pretty inconsistent. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

It's very good management by Clarke. Fraser knows the ball is in his court whilst the message to everyone in the squad is you have to be committed. 

Agree 100% with this, sends the message to Fraser but more importantly the rest of the squad. 

On 12/24/2021 at 3:59 PM, borojock said:

i personally dont think we have a strong enough squad to be isolating any players - a couple of injuries or players missing for other reasons and we would need a player of Frasers ability 

Personally i would have liked to have seen a more diplomatic engagement with the player behind the scene. A friendly but direct private conversation to better understand his commitment to the squad 

I appreciate on the outside his commitment to the country looks suspect however he has turned up many times especially when we weren't so good and results were tough and when you look at his reaction to scoring a couple of goals in the last campaign looked over the moon. So i dont get why he would try and create issues for himself when were only 2 games away from the WC i dont quite get it  

Thing is, that's EXACTLY what we had in the last couple of games! And he decided he couldn't be arsed? While it's a good diplomatic statement from Clarke, a 2-word one would've been even better. Even the Sky pundits were having a dig.  Imagine not wanting to be involved in something like that Denmark game?  It's scarcely credible.

I watched the first 45 mins of Newcastle vs Manchester United.  Newcastle were excellent and Ryan Fraser played his part in a great team effort. From what I saw, he was doing a lot defensive work. Made some great tackles and did a fair bit of pressing. Attacking wise he wasn't so involved. Newcastle tended to attack down the left and Fraser was playing on the right of midfield. But when the ball came out his way, he was always trying to make things happen with attempted one-twos and quick runs into space. Okay, he was getting crowded out a wee bit by the Man Utd defence and things didn't always come off, but overall, he looked very good. Makes his recent call off all the more disappointing. (My personal view: I hope he can redeem himself with Steve Clarke, but I can also understand the point of view of those who have lost patience with Fraser).

Just now, mcguffin said:

I watched the first 45 mins of Newcastle vs Manchester United.  Newcastle were excellent and Ryan Fraser played his part in a great team effort. From what I saw, he was doing a lot defensive work. Made some great tackles and did a fair bit of pressing. Attacking wise he wasn't so involved. Newcastle tended to attack down the left and Fraser was playing on the right of midfield. But when the ball came out his way, he was always trying to make things happen with attempted one-twos and quick runs into space. Okay, he was getting crowded out a wee bit by the Man Utd defence and things didn't always come off, but overall, he looked very good. Makes his recent call off all the more disappointing. (My personal view: I hope he can redeem himself with Steve Clarke, but I can also understand the point of view of those who have lost patience with Fraser).

...forgot to add, Scott McTominay was featured in the same game, and had a good first half.

On 12/26/2021 at 3:34 PM, aaid said:

When’s he ever really on form though?  He’s really only had that one season, his second last season at Bournemouth when he was very good and which led to lots of reported interest from bigger clubs.   Outwith that, his general level is decent but not great and pretty inconsistent. 

Agree 100% with this, sends the message to Fraser but more importantly the rest of the squad. 

He looked pretty on form last night 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He looked pretty on form last night 

Form is temporary, class (or lack of) is permanent.  Look across the totality of his career rather than one game against a poor Man Utd team that Newcastle couldn’t beat. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Form is temporary, class (or lack of) is permanent.  Look across the totality of his career rather than one game against a poor Man Utd team that Newcastle couldn’t beat. 

Beggars can’t be choosers….   He is way better than Ryan Christie or James Forrest whose play is easy on the eye but seldom effective particularly against good teams.  

we have poor choices up front and Fraser is in our top three with Adams and dykes.

58 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Beggars can’t be choosers….   He is way better than Ryan Christie or James Forrest whose play is easy on the eye but seldom effective particularly against good teams.  

we have poor choices up front and Fraser is in our top three with Adams and dykes.

Beggars can’t be choosers, we seem to be doing okay without Fraser, or Forrest for that matter.  Christie at least can be bothered to turn up. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Frustrating player. Surprised he’s lasted so long in the EPL given his inconsistency. Still, crucial goal in Israel, although Clarke is right in what he’s said. 

Agreed, a frustrating player.  At least Eddie Howe clearly likes him and rates him (and knows him better than anyone).  Hopefully he'll start to put in some consistently good performances under Howe.   Would love to see the Fraser that played for Bournemouth a few seasons back make a return.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Calling for us to bend over backwards and overlook Fraser’s bad attitude because he’s indispensable is unrestrained drivel. I will give you the benefit of the doubt as we all over indulge at times during the festive season and leave ourselves open to spouting pish.

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Way better than Ryan Christie or James Forrest!Based on what exactly?Certainly not on his performances,that's for sure.

15 hours ago, thesaint said:

Way better than Ryan Christie or James Forrest!Based on what exactly?Certainly not on his performances,that's for sure.

I think a Ryan Christie at his best is equal standard to Ryan Fraser at his best. Forrest hasn't done it enough for Scotland, but his club form definitely implies he is close to their standard as well. 

Everyone deserves second chances and I'm sure Clarke is willing to forgive if he demonstrates contrition. But he's no Andy Robertson or John McGinn. We'll do fine without him and he'll regret it long term if he doesn't find a way back into the squad.

10 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think a Ryan Christie at his best is equal standard to Ryan Fraser at his best. Forrest hasn't done it enough for Scotland, but his club form definitely implies he is close to their standard as well. 

Everyone deserves second chances and I'm sure Clarke is willing to forgive if he demonstrates contrition. But he's no Andy Robertson or John McGinn. We'll do fine without him and he'll regret it long term if he doesn't find a way back into the squad.

Not just a second chance though is it?  How often is that now?  When you compare his attitude to the likes of Johnny Russell who regularly travelled the width of the Atlantic and back without seeing a minute of action it puts it right into perspective.  Can't even be bothered making it the distance from Newcastle to be assessed by the team doctors?  He can fck right off.

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't think it will bother him too much.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I agree on Ryan Christie and James Forrest. I like the current Scottish squad and competition for places is ferocious even without Ryan Fraser being considered.
Up to him now to get a consistent run of games for Newcastle and show his club manager that he's a first-pick for the Newcastle squad. And even then, I think it'll take some stellar performances to impress Steve Clarke given the quality players we already have and the unfortunate baggage Fraser is currently carrying. But if Fraser can do both those things--neither of them easy--then fair play to him.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, breeks_mctavish said:

Calling for us to bend over backwards and overlook Fraser’s bad attitude because he’s indispensable is unrestrained drivel. I will give you the benefit of the doubt as we all over indulge at times during the festive season and leave ourselves open to spouting pish.

I’m not suggesting that we do ignore his attitude.  Personally I wouldn’t pick him unless he gave a firm commitment and didn’t pull out of matches.  His is however a better footballer than Christie or Forrest.

3 hours ago, mcguffin said:

I agree on Ryan Christie and James Forrest. I like the current Scottish squad and competition for places is ferocious even without Ryan Fraser being considered.
Up to him now to get a consistent run of games for Newcastle and show his club manager that he's a first-pick for the Newcastle squad. And even then, I think it'll take some stellar performances to impress Steve Clarke given the quality players we already have and the unfortunate baggage Fraser is currently carrying. But if Fraser can do both those things--neither of them easy--then fair play to him.

I think Forrest is dangerously close to being phased out, along with the likes of Fleck, Gallagher, Palmer etc. Still a top player, but has had horrendous injury problems lately and is competing for a spot in the strongest squad this century.

Up until now, Fraser was a guaranteed pick in the squad, and he knew it. Which probably gave him the impression he could pick and choose which fixtures he turned up for. Well, times have changed and you have to earn your place. 

Also, Newcastle will almost certainly be spending a shed load of cash in the January transfer window, which will make his club place even more precarious. I'm rooting for him, of course, but I'll interested to see how it develops.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I’m not suggesting that we do ignore his attitude.  Personally I wouldn’t pick him unless he gave a firm commitment and didn’t pull out of matches.  His is however a better footballer than Christie or Forrest.

Once again,based on what?As far as Scotland are concerned Ryan Christie has performed well,and shown great commitment.Had a bit of a bad spell at the end of his time with Celtic,but mostly good for us.James Forrest a bit sporadic for Scotland,but certainly not any worse than Fraser has been.Just can't see in what way he has proved himself better than Christie or Forrest.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Once again,based on what?As far as Scotland are concerned Ryan Christie has performed well,and shown great commitment.Had a bit of a bad spell at the end of his time with Celtic,but mostly good for us.James Forrest a bit sporadic for Scotland,but certainly not any worse than Fraser has been.Just can't see in what way he has proved himself better than Christie or Forrest.

Bit worried about Christie, he hasn't done much down south