Ryan Fraser - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Fraser

bisland boy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, bisland boy said:

Sounds like Fraser might be struggling to keep his place in the squad for play offs https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/23/steve-clarke-hints-ryan-fraser-not-in-scotland-plans-after-missing-games

I am a fan of his ability but he always drops out of squads and only has 22 caps which is pretty poor. His commitment is questionable. 

That's a very measured statement and sends out a strong message, not just to Fraser but to everybody else as well.

“He wasn’t involved through his own choice in the November games,” the manager said. “To be honest I don’t think we missed him. I thought the team was good in both games so Ryan could have his work cut out to be back in the squad. That’s just the nature of the competition for places. It’s not a squad that you want to give up your place in lightly.”

2 hours ago, bisland boy said:

Sounds like Fraser might be struggling to keep his place in the squad for play offs https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/23/steve-clarke-hints-ryan-fraser-not-in-scotland-plans-after-missing-games

When he is on form, I genuinely would put him in the same bracket of player as our undroppables. But I would not blame Clarke one bit if he doesn't pick him in March. We can't have any divas in the squad, or people who put themselves ahead of the team. I always give players the benefit of the doubt, but that statement from Clarke is quite telling.

I'm actually surprised Eddie Howe has seemingly forgiven him for what he did at Bournemouth and is playing him semi-regularly. Though that might just be until the transfer window opens. 

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's a very measured statement and sends out a strong message, not just to Fraser but to everybody else as well.

“He wasn’t involved through his own choice in the November games,” the manager said. “To be honest I don’t think we missed him. I thought the team was good in both games so Ryan could have his work cut out to be back in the squad. That’s just the nature of the competition for places. It’s not a squad that you want to give up your place in lightly.”

Thats a brutal assessment by clarke but fair play to him, if fraser has chosen to pull out for no reason then he doesn't deserve anything but harsh criticism. He's always pulled out squads and he simply doesn't deserve a place in our squad. We don't play with wingers anyway so arguably frasers only position is the second striker spot which we have a few players who can play that position. 

Also sounds like Dykes would run through walls for Scotland. 

i personally dont think we have a strong enough squad to be isolating any players - a couple of injuries or players missing for other reasons and we would need a player of Frasers ability 

Personally i would have liked to have seen a more diplomatic engagement with the player behind the scene. A friendly but direct private conversation to better understand his commitment to the squad 

I appreciate on the outside his commitment to the country looks suspect however he has turned up many times especially when we weren't so good and results were tough and when you look at his reaction to scoring a couple of goals in the last campaign looked over the moon. So i dont get why he would try and create issues for himself when were only 2 games away from the WC i dont quite get it  

There's always a place for wingers - or wide men if you prefer - who can come in near the end and provide a telling cross and for that reason alone we should be in no hurry to exclude him as we have few who are in his class or better. Forrest is one, though now injury-prone and ageing - so who else is there? I can only think of Barrie McKay and maybe Mikey Johnston. But I also accept that he is not a first choice.

12 minutes ago, borojock said:

i personally dont think we have a strong enough squad to be isolating any players - a couple of injuries or players missing for other reasons and we would need a player of Frasers ability 

Personally i would have liked to have seen a more diplomatic engagement with the player behind the scene. A friendly but direct private conversation to better understand his commitment to the squad 

I appreciate on the outside his commitment to the country looks suspect however he has turned up many times especially when we weren't so good and results were tough and when you look at his reaction to scoring a couple of goals in the last campaign looked over the moon. So i dont get why he would try and create issues for himself when were only 2 games away from the WC i dont quite get it  

Yeh but it's clear from that interview that fraser chose not to go despite being fit and able. I think that interview is quite shocking to hear, Clarke has basically outed fraser and he's quite right to do so.

Fuck fraser from now on is my attitude. Give his squad place to someone hungry and talented who would appreciate it. 

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

There's always a place for wingers - or wide men if you prefer - who can come in near the end and provide a telling cross and for that reason alone we should be in no hurry to exclude him as we have few who are in his class or better. Forrest is one, though now injury-prone and ageing - so who else is there? I can only think of Barrie McKay and maybe Mikey Johnston. But I also accept that he is not a first choice.

It's handy to have wingers in the squad but it's not massively important considering the formation we play these days. If we were regularly playing 442 or 451 then Fraser would be a bigger loss but we don't so it's not as bad. 

Ive always erred on the side of caution when it comes to players pulling out of squads etc but it sounds like Fraser has used up alot of good will with Clarke. 

I think Clarkes played a smart one here. He is laying down the law in public whilst praising Dykes at the same time. 

I dont think the doors closed for Fraser but id be surprised to see him again anytime soon. If he gets a regular game, has good form etc and then works his way back into the squad and shows commitment then we should give him backing. 

As others have said though we dont play with wingers so its not as key. We do seem to be moving towards a 5221 formation though so he might be useful as one of the 2 behind the striker.

When he's fit he's a good player and he has done well for us - when he's bothered to show up. His commitment is very questionable and he's currently in and out of a team at the bottom of the EPL, so it would be no great loss if he didn't get picked again.

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

What is baffling is that Fraser has looked ecstatic after some Scotland games. To pull out in the sober light of day is very odd, although it seems clear that is what he’s done. Maybe he’s susceptible to bullying from other influences. 

Yeh maybe pressure from his clubs to pull out has been more the problem. He seems like a nice humble bloke so it's disappointing that he's not turning up as playing for your country should be a massive honour. Also he's a good player on his day. 

25 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Fraser is playing well for Newcastle and he’s performed well for us. 

He’s clearly a much better player than Jacob Brown & plays the same position, so I don’t really see why his position would be in doubt (I don’t think it is tbh). 

Just getting him to bother his arse to turn up is the problem. 

He is playing more again under howe  than I thought he would and is a bit noticeable in games again.

as others have said that might just be to get him moved on in January possibly back to the championship, possibly to the West Brom / Fulham type level .

I did miss one obvious team out of that 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Like it or not, Fraser is one of our best inside forwards.  If we are playing one up he is unlikely to figure but when we play two I would play two from three from Adams, dykes and fraser.  I think he competes with Christie for the same role and is better.

For me would be in the 23 man squad i would play 3-4-2-1 and of the 4 players i would take forthe 2 behind the striker i think he gives you something different also gives great adaptability could play a couple of roles 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Like it or not, Fraser is one of our best inside forwards.  If we are playing one up he is unlikely to figure but when we play two I would play two from three from Adams, dykes and fraser.  I think he competes with Christie for the same role and is better.

Hes great when on form but if he's not committed he can fuck off.