Dog Friendly - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stop being miserable and include them in everything 🤣🤣

But yeah, I agree. There’s a cafe specifically for dogs down at Aberdeen beach, which is fine, but I dont want to be heading out for a meal and have a dog sniffing away at my table. 

Edited by dandydunn

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

More or less every pub/cafe/restaraunt around here is dog friendly. 

It doesn't bother me until someone has an untrained dog. 

It’s kind of a role reversal now isn’t it?  Looking for places that don’t have dogs with right of access 😊

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Stop being miserable and include them in everything 🤣🤣

But yeah, I agree. There’s a cafe specifically for dogs down at Aberdeen beach, which is fine, but I dont want to be heading out for a meal and have a dog sniffing away at my table. 

I like dogs to be honest but never had one as a pet. 😊

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

There’s a cafe specifically for dogs down at Aberdeen beach, which is fine, but I dont want to be heading out for a meal and have a dog sniffing away at my table. 

What do you order when you go there? Pedigree Chum, or do you push the boat out and order a platter of Caesar?

13 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Has this drive to include dogs in every facet of our lives gone too far?  My particular beef is dog friendly restaurants. I personally don’t want one sitting by my  feet licking it’s bollocks. 

There was a dog nativity play on BBC news today. 🤔

I feel sorry for people who have a fear of dogs - can't escape them easily now. I like dogs but I do think it has gone a bit far.

Humans and dogs have had a symbiotic relatiionship for tens of thousands of years.

That being said I can see folks point if they're not keen, don't think they should invade all human spaces

On a personal note though i'm more of a dog fan than a human fan.

Dog owners should start from the presumption that their dogs are not welcome near anyone else, rather than it working the other way around where you have to ask the owner to get them away from you. Which, of course, inevitably starts the "It's OK, he's only playing/being friendly/saying hello" routine.

I've had a bit of a phobia of dogs all my life, an allergy to them & also due to long-term steroid use, skin which tears badly at the slightest scratch. None of which I feel over-inclined to start explaining to a stranger in a pub who thinks everyone should be as besotted with pooch as they are.

It's much the same when I'm out & about...dogs come bounding towards you with the owner half a mile off; it terrifies me & should it jump on me, especially if I only have a t-shirt on, will probably land me with a trip to A&E. I don't expect people to think of all those possibilities, but just keep the dratted things under control.

Anyway, rant over...Season's greetings to everyone 🍺🥃

47 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Dog owners should start from the presumption that their dogs are not welcome near anyone else, rather than it working the other way around where you have to ask the owner to get them away from you. Which, of course, inevitably starts the "It's OK, he's only playing/being friendly/saying hello" routine.

I've had a bit of a phobia of dogs all my life, an allergy to them & also due to long-term steroid use, skin which tears badly at the slightest scratch. None of which I feel over-inclined to start explaining to a stranger in a pub who thinks everyone should be as besotted with pooch as they are.

It's much the same when I'm out & about...dogs come bounding towards you with the owner half a mile off; it terrifies me & should it jump on me, especially if I only have a t-shirt on, will probably land me with a trip to A&E. I don't expect people to think of all those possibilities, but just keep the dratted things under control.

Couldn't agree more

My daughter is 3, she's OK with little dogs but she petrified of medium to large dogs due some idiot who allowed her large dog to jump on her when she was only 2. The usual line was trotted "he won't touch you". It's doesn't matter, if something three times your size with bug fuck off teeth jumps on you, your first reaction won't be to give it a fucking cuddle.

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

I love dogs but I am also well aware of people who have a range of reasons not to. I have never understood why some dog owners seem utterly oblivious to this. To be fair a lot more people do seem to understand this now and do take appropriate steps.

I like dogs, not a fan of cats however.

I was walking to work a few months ago, some stupid fucking cow had two massive devil dogs off their leash, both ran up to me and started growling and slavering, I wouldn't have a chance against one of them, let alone two. I just stood still until they fucked off, I guess if I tried something they would have attacked. Not a word of an apology from the cow, if I was an American, the dogs and the cow would probably have be filled with lead.

Some people shouldn't be trusted with a gerbil, let alone dogs that could kill.

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

I like dogs, not a fan of cats however.

I was walking to work a few months ago, some stupid fucking cow had two massive devil dogs off their leash, both ran up to me and started growling and slavering, I wouldn't have a chance against one of them, let alone two. I just stood still until they fucked off, I guess if I tried something they would have attacked. Not a word of an apology from the cow, if I was an American, the dogs and the cow would probably have be filled with lead.

Some people shouldn't be trusted with a gerbil, let alone dogs that could kill.

She probably had to take them out as the bull was lying in the field scratching his arse and ogling the totty around him. 

Some dog owners just dont seem to realise how frightening dogs can be to others. My nephew is petrified of them , we had him at Largs in the summer at the sea front and there were quite a few dogs not on a leash. It was like a military operation having to navigate our way past them without making the situation worse. 
My friends dog was attacked by a Japanese Akita a couple of months ago. Her elderly parents had him out for a walk and the Akita just appeared from nowhere and attacked her dog. The owner appeared and tried hard to get their dog off but it was so strong the owner had to go to hospital afterwards. My friends dog had a broken eye socket and bite wounds on his neck and throat but thankfully survived. Her parents were traumatised by the experience , the owner was distraught and got his dog put down immediately , a terrible situation for all concerned. 

Sometimes its an accident when dogs get out without a lead, they can maybe escape from the house through an open door, but when they are taken out they should always be on a lead. All that said I love dogs and the world would be an even angrier place without them. 

My wife and daughter decided about a year ago that they wanted a dog (actually my daughter has been adding "puppy" to shopping lists for about the last 10 years). I was against it as having a dog is quite restricting as you can't just leave them in the house all day, you have to put them in kennels to go abroad on holiday etc, and I knew I'd be left to look after it a lot of the time when they went away for the day.  I also have an aversion to picking up dog shite.  Anyway my wife eventually bought a wee cockapoo puppy, a tiny wee thing.  10 months later, she is just coming up to her first birthday (the puppy, not Mrs Alibi) and because I work from home, she has pretty much adopted me.  Generally she's very good, a gentle dog and very tactile.  I usually take her for a walk in the forest in the afternoon and it's a very sociable thing as you keep meeting other walkers. Always keep her on the lead as I'd be worried she would run off.  I had a Labrador many years ago but this dog is a lot easier due to being smaller in size meaning she can't quite reach the table top.  I'm not really a dog person, but Dolly is great company and very affectionate, and likes nothing better than to jump up on the sofa and snuggle in while watching Morton's games on live stream.  No idea what's going to happen once football is back to normal as I can't really take her to Cappielow and anyway that takes too long to leave her in the house alone, so I guess my wife won't be able to pop up to Edinburgh on a whim at weekends unless she takes the dog.  Definitely health benefits from having a dog as it makes exercise both necessary and more enjoyable - my covid-impaired heart function has now recovered to normal which is partly the result of the forced exercise regime that a dog creates.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

My wife and daughter decided about a year ago that they wanted a dog (actually my daughter has been adding "puppy" to shopping lists for about the last 10 years). I was against it as having a dog is quite restricting as you can't just leave them in the house all day, you have to put them in kennels to go abroad on holiday etc, and I knew I'd be left to look after it a lot of the time when they went away for the day.  I also have an aversion to picking up dog shite.  Anyway my wife eventually bought a wee cockapoo puppy, a tiny wee thing.  10 months later, she is just coming up to her first birthday (the puppy, not Mrs Alibi) and because I work from home, she has pretty much adopted me.  Generally she's very good, a gentle dog and very tactile.  I usually take her for a walk in the forest in the afternoon and it's a very sociable thing as you keep meeting other walkers. Always keep her on the lead as I'd be worried she would run off.  I had a Labrador many years ago but this dog is a lot easier due to being smaller in size meaning she can't quite reach the table top.  I'm not really a dog person, but Dolly is great company and very affectionate, and likes nothing better than to jump up on the sofa and snuggle in while watching Morton's games on live stream.  No idea what's going to happen once football is back to normal as I can't really take her to Cappielow and anyway that takes too long to leave her in the house alone, so I guess my wife won't be able to pop up to Edinburgh on a whim at weekends unless she takes the dog.  Definitely health benefits from having a dog as it makes exercise both necessary and more enjoyable - my covid-impaired heart function has now recovered to normal which is partly the result of the forced exercise regime that a dog creates.

Your back story is very similar to me, daughter had wanted a dog all her life but husband not particularly dog friendly ( or wife friendly for that matter ) , plus the restrictions they bring prevented us from getting one. She moved to a flat with her boyfriend last January and got a cockapoo in July. What a gorgeous, friendly wee dog he is, he has even won my husband round, something I have failed miserably at for 40 years.

I am glad you are feeling the benefits of having her and that your heart has recovered. I believe dogs are great for lowering blood pressure too. When they are no ripping your carpets to shreds that is 😊

Whilst I am on a roll of boring everyone to death with my endless posts I will just shoehorn in a wee pic of Alfie. 

178BE9C2-6ADB-46FC-BF87-7CD362187E80.thumb.png.98627424e90d3a827f3279b58f185163.png

On 12/30/2021 at 2:16 PM, TDYER63 said:

Your back story is very similar to me, daughter had wanted a dog all her life but husband not particularly dog friendly ( or wife friendly for that matter ) , plus the restrictions they bring prevented us from getting one. She moved to a flat with her boyfriend last January and got a cockapoo in July. What a gorgeous, friendly wee dog he is, he has even won my husband round, something I have failed miserably at for 40 years.

I am glad you are feeling the benefits of having her and that your heart has recovered. I believe dogs are great for lowering blood pressure too. When they are no ripping your carpets to shreds that is 😊

Whilst I am on a roll of boring everyone to death with my endless posts I will just shoehorn in a wee pic of Alfie. 

178BE9C2-6ADB-46FC-BF87-7CD362187E80.thumb.png.98627424e90d3a827f3279b58f185163.png

Why are they all called Alfie?🤔😄

I'm a Basset hound fanatic. I love them so much.

I have a wee dream of retiring with a wee pack (2).

The saddest thing for me is the fact that all the bassett hound "personalities" I've followed for ever on youtube etc have all passed over the rainbow bridge, makes you feel old.

I even ran my 10k in this.

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C813B2xmHLUL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX679._SX._UX._SY._UY_.png

19 hours ago, Lamia said:

Why are they all called Alfie?🤔😄

Thanks for reminding me Lamia , I had almost buried the reason away in the darkest corner of my brain,  where anything remotely connected to Rangers is hidden 🙄

At least they drew the line at Alfredo, or should I say my daughter did.