Venue - Page 2 - Ukraine v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Venue

wanderer

5 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I've emailed the SSC twice.

No reply.

I'm a tad irritated at the leeway given to Ukraine this year; maybe that came across in my email 😞

Pity Steve Clarke hadn't felt the same way as you do. It's just another in a long list regarding Ukraine. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the tournament regulations:

Article 22 Venues and kick-off times

By 17 January 2022, the associations must submit a list of proposed stadiums to the UEFA administration for preliminary approval for the 2022/23 UEFA Nations League.

The host association submits the venue for each match from the corresponding list of proposed stadiums to the UEFA administration at least 120 days before the match in question.

The UEFA administration is responsible for approving stadiums. Only when the administration has compiled the necessary information, and conducted potential stadium visits, will the final approval be given for use of the stadium in question.

When fixing a venue, the host association must take into account the length of the journey to be undertaken by the visiting team. In principle, the venue for a match must be no more than a 90-minute bus drive from the nearest international airport with daily flights from/to other European cities.

I would have thought there would have been an organisation out there with a list of UEFA approved stadiums for UEFA competitions.

Maybe somebody like......... UEFA ?

They're f*cking useless.

Of course, that doesn't even take into account they've had f*cking ages to look at this.

I'd love a job where I went around looking at stadiums. I can't imagine it would take me so long to decide if something was suitable or not.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, Rich NATA said:

I've emailed the SSC twice.

No reply.

I'm a tad irritated at the leeway given to Ukraine this year; maybe that came across in my email 😞

Agreed. I get that there’s a war on, but as has been shown, the administrators and most of the players are just getting on with the day job. 

Get it sorted!

Hoping for Krakow as I hear it’s very pretty, plus from a history buff tourist perspective, I really want to see Auschwitz

J

4 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Agreed. I get that there’s a war on, but as has been shown, the administrators and most of the players are just getting on with the day job. 

Get it sorted!

Hoping for Krakow as I hear it’s very pretty, plus from a history buff tourist perspective, I really want to see Auschwitz

J

Don't get what the score is here.They obviously can't play in Ukraine.Pick a f..king venue..NOW.

Speaking to a contacts at the Ukrainian FA with regards to the Sunshine Appeal donation, when it comes to the venue I am getting mixed signals....

When you ask the question straight up to 3 different people I know (last one I chatted with was just on Monday night), the response you get is always heavily hinting that the game will be in Ukraine.... but they quickly do reluctantly accept that its in Poland.

Seems to be a issue with the Polish FA, as they will be "hosting" the game.

Ukrainian FA have been working this week to get firm details of the restart of the Ukrainian football league, which will be 25th of August I believe.

There has been a rumor of Warsaw going around, but when I asked that on my last chat with them on Monday night, just got a response of "news to me!".

5 minutes ago, jcluk said:

Maybe they're still hopeful of playing it in Ukraine? The domestic league will be starting again next month. 

Nah, UEFA have already said they can not.

Ukrainian clubs in Europe are having to play outside Ukraine... Luhansk have just announced today they are playing in Lublin, Dynamo are playing Lodz, Dnipro are playing in Slovakia (they will be making Uzhhorod in South-West Ukraine their home next season in the league, so just a case of jump over the border) and Shakhtar look like Warsaw will be their home for Champions League Games.

Vorskla is the odd one, as they want to play their "home" game against AIK Stockholm in Sweden.

5 hours ago, Tartan_Thomo said:

I might just book a flight to Warsaw and take it from there. 

last time we played Poland in Warsaw, we flew to Krakow and got the train to Warsaw. Trains were great, easy to use, on time & fast.  It’s a great city as well. 

Aye, I've booked to Berlin, few days there then oer the border for a rake aboot in Poland, trains are great there. Got to say tho fingers crossed is Warsaw, Lodz is hardly an exciting prospect. It's a bit pash. 

I don't know what any of your jobs are, but I work in shipping.

My department of 4 people oversees the export of approximately 4000 containers every week; to every corner of the planet...

... and these pricks can't pick a stadium to host a football match?!?!?

57 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I don't know what any of your jobs are, but I work in shipping.

My department of 4 people oversees the export of approximately 4000 containers every week; to every corner of the planet...

... and these pricks can't pick a stadium to host a football match?!?!?

Got any comfy containers going to Poland end of September 😜

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

It's "no a very nice place" 

Haven't done so in the last couple of years (due to the whole COVID situation) but over the years I have usually visited somewhere 'bleak' and Eastern European every January.

I liked Lodz very much 👍

P.S. there was a cracking football pub on the main drag.

Lodz Football Pub, ul. Piotrkowska 138/140 (OFF Piotrkowska) 

Those visiting from the west may be used to a different style of sports bar: pedigree lagers served by tanned blondes while Sky Sports beams from all available wall space. So here’s something completely different. Set inside OFF Piotrkowska, Football Pub is barely the size of a cupboard, with decorations largely left to the patrons; find ceilings and walls plastered with pennants and scarves donated from Donetsk to Oxford. Hiding underneath all that is a small TV, usually tuned to a local sports channel, as well as a small fridge housing Polish lagers such as Raciborskie and Trybunał and a menu that includes pork knuckle, kaszanka and barbecued sausage. Attracting all from decommissioned conscripts to rowdy Stoke lads, this boys own venue is a pokey delight, and lorded over by a former pro with a tracksuit look and vintage moustache – practice pigeon Polish on him to learn more about his playing adventures.

image.jpeg.741adff77335edc6f1eaa9f1772b34d3.jpeg

Football Pub w OFF Piotrkowska. Szaliki, które łączą [KULTOWE MIEJSCA]

Aye Rich Nata I've been doing the same as you especially after the Zagreb game in trying to visit the old Eastern block cities - my 20+ year old kids (I obv don't take them!) don't get it as they weren't alive when these places were inaccessible. Just done Tirana in Albania solo trip - found it fantastic (went instead of the Armenia game as it was a pain to get to). Albania so bl00dy cheap but nice (went to Schkoder few years ago for our game). Two weeks ago Sarajevo with the missus - brilliant.

I'm in the same place as you re Lodz (think it's pronounced woodch) we did it three years ago and found it great - there is a massive old factory complex called Manufaktura with a cracking but cheapish hotel. Loads of good bars etc. 

Warsaw would be good too - last Scotland game there was brilliant although the ultras were a bit of a pain nicking our flags etc.          

38 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

Aye Rich Nata I've been doing the same as you especially after the Zagreb game in trying to visit the old Eastern block cities - my 20+ year old kids (I obv don't take them!) don't get it as they weren't alive when these places were inaccessible. Just done Tirana in Albania solo trip - found it fantastic (went instead of the Armenia game as it was a pain to get to). Albania so bl00dy cheap but nice (went to Schkoder few years ago for our game). Two weeks ago Sarajevo with the missus - brilliant.

I'm in the same place as you re Lodz (think it's pronounced woodch) we did it three years ago and found it great - there is a massive old factory complex called Manufaktura with a cracking but cheapish hotel. Loads of good bars etc. 

Warsaw would be good too - last Scotland game there was brilliant although the ultras were a bit of a pain nicking our flags etc.          

That's right, 'Wooch'.

I think I'm right in saying the factory complex (now the Manufaktura shopping and leisure complex) was once the biggest industrial complex in Europe. It's good they have kept the original exterior structures, whilst doing something on the inside for the 21st century. From the outside, it's like being in the 1800's.

I think Lodz is one of those places, which requires you to do some homework. A bit like Kaunas in that sense. There are things to see and do; places to eat, drink and party, but you need to work a little for it.

Considering Lodz is the 3rd biggest city in Poland, it's staggering how many Poles haven't even been there.

Don't want to pee the others off here by going off topic but you mention Kaunas - what's it like ? Lucky to do Minsk and Vilnius just before the world went crazy but now have a choice of where to take my 20 year old son some place in September and was thinking of Kaunas /other Baltic states or Montenegro - I've only been to the capita of Montenegro ?  Any tips / thoughts you any one else? Likely to be one of those last father / son trips before he gets shackled !      

Manufaktura looks like the area in Warsaw I was in a few months ago, same kind of thing, was an industrial estate in the 1800s, then a vodka (Wyborowa) distillery and converted, was fkin magic. Fkin love Poland. 

22 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

Don't want to pee the others off here by going off topic but you mention Kaunas - what's it like ? Lucky to do Minsk and Vilnius just before the world went crazy but now have a choice of where to take my 20 year old son some place in September and was thinking of Kaunas /other Baltic states or Montenegro - I've only been to the capita of Montenegro ?  Any tips / thoughts you any one else? Likely to be one of those last father / son trips before he gets shackled !      

Scotland have played in Kaunas three times and I don't think any other host city has divided the opinion of the fans so much. A real Marmite city.

I was there all three times and I've always enjoyed it. I actually prefer it to the capital.

You mentioned other Baltic States... I've not been to Tallinn, but I did go to Riga just before COVID arrived in Europe.

I thoroughly enjoyed Riga and would probably have gone back a few months later had the pandemic not f*cked everything up.

Obviously, Scotland are likely to be playing in Poland in September. 

No matter where the match is, have you been to Krakow? Recommended.