Venue - Ukraine v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Venue

wanderer

Do not assume the game will be in Kyiv.

Ukraine have a habit of playing "must win" games in their lucky stadium in Lviv in Western Ukraine.

And with this being the final match, I suspect chances are high this game will be there and not in Kyiv.

Will keep ear to the ground with contacts out there, but something to be wary off when booking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from 2 weeks in Ukraine visiting the In-Laws.

Folk I spoked to out there are not looking beyond March, and with regards to September, they seem to hum and haw when asked if the game will be in Kyiv or on the road (most said if they had to place a bet, they would favor Lviv slightly more, but think its 50-50)

Met 3 football journalists for a coffee and beer, and one of them even called their contact at the Ukrainian FA who responded that it will be many months before they consider a venue for the game.

Edited by wanderer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ukraine FA are meeting today, and apparently Zelenskyy has gave permission for the Ukrainian football season to restart next season (but behind closed doors).... so that may include the national team also

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, wanderer said:

Ukraine FA are meeting today, and apparently Zelenskyy has gave permission for the Ukrainian football season to restart next season (but behind closed doors).... so that may include the national team also

That seems mental. Odds on that’s where the next Russian Cruise missile will land. 

imagine Russia wiping out the whole Ukrainian national team. They don’t give a fook about the PR. 

J

On 6/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, Bristolhibby said:

That seems mental. Odds on that’s where the next Russian Cruise missile will land. 

imagine Russia wiping out the whole Ukrainian national team. They don’t give a fook about the PR. 

J

Sound of things league games will be resumed in Western Ukraine, but rumors Dynamo and Shakhtar are looking to base themselves in Poland (games to be played in Ukraine are going to be under crazy requirements... if air raid sirens during game, play must stop and players go straight to nearest bunker, and if it last more than 45 minutes, game is abandoned and played next day).

Sound of things, fans in Ukraine want Septembers game played a lot closer to Ukraine than Lodz (most people I have spoken with want it to be in Krakow or Wraclaw) just to get a chance to attend the match, rather than just play in a stadium the manager happens to like.

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Sound of things league games will be resumed in Western Ukraine, but rumors Dynamo and Shakhtar are looking to base themselves in Poland (games to be played in Ukraine are going to be under crazy requirements... if air raid sirens during game, play must stop and players go straight to nearest bunker, and if it last more than 45 minutes, game is abandoned and played next day).

Sound of things, fans in Ukraine want Septembers game played a lot closer to Ukraine than Lodz (most people I have spoken with want it to be in Krakow or Wraclaw) just to get a chance to attend the match, rather than just play in a stadium the manager happens to like.

That’s good news. Loads of direct flights to Krakow and Warclaw.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Ukraine manager in his post match conference last night after the Ireland game said that the Scotland game will be in Poland, but will not be in Lodz.

While crowds have been good (12k in a 18k stadium) the atmosphere's have been so-so, and I suspect they will play their game against us either in the Lublin Arena or at Cracovia Krakow's stadium.

if they dont want to play in lodz. do they then go on to a bigger stadium if they do we should get a big allocation for it as well which should help. but if you change to a bigger venue and suddenly crowds start to drop that could be a waste of time as well its catch 22

3 hours ago, calum83 said:

if they dont want to play in lodz. do they then go on to a bigger stadium if they do we should get a big allocation for it as well which should help. but if you change to a bigger venue and suddenly crowds start to drop that could be a waste of time as well its catch 22

They will not go for a bigger venue, as that is simply going to cost money, and they will not fill it.

Looking at stadiums in Poland, I would say the favorites are Cracovia Stadium (Krakow), Arena Lublin and Stadion Miejski (Tychy) which all hold 15k... they may go as far as Stadion Piasta Gliwice (Piast Gliwice) which holds 10k.

I would be very doubtful if they would try fill the 40k Wrocław Stadium in Wroclaw.

Venues for Ukrainian clubs in Europe starting to take shape....

Dynamo have downsized from Slask Wroclaw, and will play their European games for the time being in Lodz (where the national team played this month), but Shakhtar will base themselves in Warsaw for European games.

Most interesting one is Vorskla Poltava, they are due to play AIK Stockholm in Europa League, and will play not only their away tie in Sweden, but also the "home" tie in Stockholm.

Ukraine Woman's and U21 teams are going to play games in Rzeszow.

So in terms of our game, you are probably talking somewhere in South-Eastern Poland, but probably no further north than Warsaw.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

Wherever it is it’s time they made their minds up and stopped dicking about . 85 days now 

Fk it, I've booked for Berlin, whatever the venue I'll be able tae get there and hae a good rake aboot in Berlin.