Bring back emoji/emoticon responses - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bring back emoji/emoticon responses

romanticscot

No thanks, they were utter shit. Someone or maybe more than one had multiple ID's open at the same time going though targeted people's recent posting history voting down every post one after the other multiple times... I cant recall who but someone got very pissed off at it.

It was being used to harass or attempt to wind-up people so they switched it off. It would be exactly the same if they switched it back on. (Ormond also got very wound up by it thinking back, a few folk did.)

Who the fuck was it anyway (I think Tiny Tim had a suspect)... god knows how they could be bothered doing it for so long. But this is why they dont work. Mad folk go mad on them.

Edited by thplinth

Positive-only emojis would be nice.    I don't like the thought of hounding anyone off the board with an anonymous thumbs-down, so don't want boo-boys back.

However even in the current setup, certain sarcastic-posted ones should be binned, please... (Yeah, I deleted a lovely, nasty bed-bug/cockroach emoji here, as it was too near to the vein).   Impossible block?   Even if intentional and obvious   🥰

...ahem, mibbee, but some folk do take the piss.

On second thoughts, let 'em keep it up 😊

16 hours ago, thplinth said:

No thanks, they were utter shit. Someone or maybe more than one had multiple ID's open at the same time going though targeted people's recent posting history voting down every post one after the other multiple times... I cant recall who but someone got very pissed off at it.

It was being used to harass or attempt to wind-up people so they switched it off. It would be exactly the same if they switched it back on. (Ormond also got very wound up by it thinking back, a few folk did.)

Who the fuck was it anyway (I think Tiny Tim had a suspect)... god knows how they could be bothered doing it for so long. But this is why they dont work. Mad folk go mad on them.

Somebody did it to me a couple of times.  TBH I felt pretty sorry for them.  Imagine having a life so devoid of enjoyment that you've got time to do that?

Bring the emojis back.  Been quite a few things on here that didn't get the chuckles or thumbs-up they deserved.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Somebody did it to me a couple of times.  TBH I felt pretty sorry for them.  Imagine having a life so devoid of enjoyment that you've got time to do that?

Bring the emojis back.  Been quite a few things on here that didn't get the chuckles or thumbs-up they deserved.

They have tried limiting the number of emoticons in a day and restricting it to just a few select 'positive' emoticons but it always ends the same somehow. Making them not anonymous so you get told who gave it would probably fix it to some degree but not as much as than just not having them at all. You also get more posts without them IMHO. 

People were also abusing the poster ratings on here (long ago when they had them) resulting in some excellent posters no longer posting. They were targeting people and giving them their full allowance of negative votes every day... until they stopped posting.  And that system was also anonymous I recall. If you are critical of certain groups you also get targeted. 

The funny thing is anyone can post an emoticon anytime they want. Just reply and select one! But it seems they want to be anonymous and do it. Hmmm it will end in tears... again. 😀 

For it to work the mods would have to spend time policing it. Not being anonymous would minimize that but still it would not be maintenance free.

Two examples why this board cant be trusted with these things...

The removal of the Happy Birthday function (not naming any names there) and

The removal of the profile views count due to the profile view game e.g. see here😀

At least they were a laugh though.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

They have tried limiting the number of emoticons in a day and restricting it to just a few select 'positive' emoticons but it always ends the same somehow. Making them not anonymous so you get told who gave it would probably fix it to some degree but not as much as than just not having them at all. You also get more posts without them IMHO. 

People were also abusing the poster ratings on here (long ago when they had them) resulting in some excellent posters no longer posting. They were targeting people and giving them their full allowance of negative votes every day... until they stopped posting.  And that system was also anonymous I recall. If you are critical of certain groups you also get targeted. 

The funny thing is anyone can post an emoticon anytime they want. Just reply and select one! But it seems they want to be anonymous and do it. Hmmm it will end in tears... again. 😀 

This the bit I don't get. Why are folk moaning about the lack of emoticons when there are thousands of the fukers just a couple of clicks away. There are far too many for my liking actually. I haven't got a clue what half of them mean. 🤐🤑🧑‍🎄🏌️‍♀️

20 hours ago, thplinth said:

I thought it was Chripper. Only after people were doing it to him I think - which he constantly complained about. So I think he went mad with them so they’d get removed which they did. Then again, so did he it seems. Rolling Hills was often accused of having multiple ids and using them but I think he just had the one. Mind, he’s gone too, yet he was thought to be running the board!

I thought they should be visible not anonymous but I’m not sure anymore. I think maybe just positive ones, it was the confused face that seemed to annoy people. Getting positive emojis might encourage people to post more. Who knows? Maybe a poll would resolve it? 😀

Did you finish Squid games yet? It was when the VIPs arrived that it went very wrong for me - and the ending.

2 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

I thought it was Chripper. Only after people were doing it to him I think - which he constantly complained about. So I think he went mad with them so they’d get removed which they did. Then again, so did he it seems. Rolling Hills was often accused of having multiple ids and using them but I think he just had the one. Mind, he’s gone too, yet he was thought to be running the board!

I thought they should be visible not anonymous but I’m not sure anymore. I think maybe just positive ones, it was the confused face that seemed to annoy people. Getting positive emojis might encourage people to post more. Who knows? Maybe a poll would resolve it? 😀

Did you finish Squid games yet? It was when the VIPs arrived that it went very wrong for me - and the ending.

I have, just this minute. Still digesting the last episode.

I posted quite a bit on the VIPS episode over on the series worth watch thread, nearly derailed the whole series for me. wowzer. 😀

Edited by thplinth

On 12/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, thplinth said:

Rolling Hills

On 12/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, thplinth said:

Yeh I don't think they are worth the hassle, too many idiots with various accounts just randomly clicking on them to harass ppl.