Nations league 2022 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations league 2022

dezmondo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I disagree, if these two federations wanted a world cup every two years they would support it publicly. 

It kind of feels like an international version of the super league. If I remember rightly, no country outside of these 2 continents has won the world cup.

I really don't see this happening. Imagine having 2 world cups, and 2 Uefa/SthAm Nations leagues in the space of 4 years. It'll just be the elite countries playing each other over and over again.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

It kind of feels like an international version of the super league. If I remember rightly, no country outside of these 2 continents has won the world cup.

I really don't see this happening. Imagine having 2 world cups, and 2 Uefa/SthAm Nations leagues in the space of 4 years. It'll just be the elite countries playing each other over and over again.

I don't want it, the concept of a World Cup every 2 years is mental.  I don't like the idea of this Nations League change with South American nations added.  If South America want to expand themselves, they should have an America's Nations league.  Although, if Scotland got invited to a Copa America I would love it but for me the Nations League is not the right way for expansion, UEFA seems to be in a good spot right now.  Every match Scotland are playing currently matters and that's great, best not to get greedy UEFA. 

18 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I don't want it, the concept of a World Cup every 2 years is mental.  I don't like the idea of this Nations League change with South American nations added.  If South America want to expand themselves, they should have an America's Nations league.  Although, if Scotland got invited to a Copa America I would love it but for me the Nations League is not the right way for expansion, UEFA seems to be in a good spot right now.  Every match Scotland are playing currently matters and that's great, best not to get greedy UEFA. 

I very much agree but I guess the flip side is that they’ve filled up the international calendar and no longer have space for glamour friendlies. 

For us, that in the past been a game against Brazil at Emirates or Argentina at Hampden. Closer to home you would think of our friendlies against England and against France when they were world champions. 

Introduction of South American teams in this format is primarily to the benefit of League A teams, so means that they still get those opportunities - with an added competitive edge.  

Smaller nations like us, not so much. 

For us n League B, we would get a Chile or an Ecuador.

Glamour friendlies aside, we don't have space for any friendly unless its pre tournament so I would like to see space for atleast 2 international dates so we can dabble with people and formations in a setting that is low risk. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Glamour friendlies aside, we don't have space for any friendly unless its pre tournament so I would like to see space for atleast 2 international dates so we can dabble with people and formations in a setting that is low risk. 

A Chile or an Ecuador?  Is there more than one of each of these countries? Jeez my geography sucks 😬

Edited by todd

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I like the idea of extra friendlies in principle. But, in reality, you know there would always be a host of call offs and it would end up being an improvised Frankenstein team. There is value in that, because it means fringe players get a chance to shine. However, I think we benefit more from having a settled group of players joining up in mainly competitive fixtures. Consistency is a real asset to us right now.

The players that suffer are the likes of Turnbull, Nisbet, Ferguson, McKenna and the back-up goalies, who will really struggle to get significant game time without friendlies.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I like the idea of extra friendlies in principle. But, in reality, you know there would always be a host of call offs and it would end up being an improvised Frankenstein team. There is value in that, because it means fringe players get a chance to shine. However, I think we benefit more from having a settled group of players joining up in mainly competitive fixtures. Consistency is a real asset to us right now.

The players that suffer are the likes of Turnbull, Nisbet, Ferguson, McKenna and the back-up goalies, who will really struggle to get significant game time without friendlies.

I think exactly the same. Given the massive increase in competitive games and the extra demands that puts on players, I think any friendly fixtures would suffer call-offs even worse than ever before. 

It does leave a large portion of the squad struggling to build a decent amount of game time but if they’re good enough then you trust in the manager that they’ll play if they merit it. Also, when you look at 4 games in the space of 10/11 days in June, you realise that the international weeks are becoming more and more about the squad. 

16 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Scotland should definitely get invited to Copa America 😀

Not sure why this has never come up until now

Would it really be such a bad thing?

Look there will be a Nations League in two years' time anyway so what harm in incorporating South American teams? Heck it would give us the chance to plat a South American team in a competitive game for the first time since the World Cup opener in 1998. Besides people here were moaning about same old, same old opponents so this is a chance for different opponents definitely.

2 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Scotland should definitely get invited to Copa America 😀

Not sure why this has never come up until now

Since 1993, CONMEBOL started to invite national teams from outside South America to participate in the Copa América. The first were the United States and Mexico. In 2016, the Copa América Centenario had exceptionally six invited teams: Costa Rica, the United States (host), Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico and Panama.  The two recent invited teams were Qatar and Australia who were invited to this summers tournament but with covid fixture congestion they withdrew... I believe that was the reason 

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Since 1993, CONMEBOL started to invite national teams from outside South America to participate in the Copa América. The first were the United States and Mexico. In 2016, the Copa América Centenario had exceptionally six invited teams: Costa Rica, the United States (host), Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico and Panama.  The two recent invited teams were Qatar and Australia who were invited to this summers tournament but with covid fixture congestion they withdrew... I believe that was the reason 

Come on, it’s practically inevitable 😉

This is all getting silly now though with FIFA wading in and saying they forbid their inclusion. They are so desperate for a biennial World Cup and they do not see why UEFA would accept this expanded Nations League but not a full blown World Cup. The two governing bodies are getting into heating exchanges over this.

UEFA inviting Conmebol teams to the Nations League is part of the power play to scupper the ridiculous World Cup every 2 years plan.  Infantino has the votes from Asia, Africa and Concacaf  for it to pass but knows without Europe then there is no World Cup, or any World Cup that will be taken seriously.

33 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

UEFA inviting Conmebol teams to the Nations League is part of the power play to scupper the ridiculous World Cup every 2 years plan.  Infantino has the votes from Asia, Africa and Concacaf  for it to pass but knows without Europe then there is no World Cup, or any World Cup that will be taken seriously.

This could get messy. The vote will go out to the 200+ nation members of FIFA. If a majority is in favour then we have a real problem. Apparently, a number of European nations are in favour too. However, FIFA cannot implement it for fear of a boycott by those vehemently against it. The likes of England, Germany and France oppose it strongly.