Nations league 2022 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations league 2022

dezmondo

For anyone that doesn't realise, the next Nations league draw is approaching, to be drawn on Thursday 16th December, fixtures to be published 17th December. 

Quite surprised to see there are 4 fixtures in quick succession in June from 2nd June to 14th June. The other 2 fixtures will be played in September. 

We are pot 2 in league B. 

We will draw one from each of:

- Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia, Iceland 

- Israel 🙈, Ireland, Romania, Serbia 

- Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania, Armenia 

Another busy year in 2022....bring it on 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

For anyone that doesn't realise, the next Nations league draw is approaching, to be drawn on Thursday 16th December, fixtures to be published 17th December. 

Quite surprised to see there are 4 fixtures in quick succession in June from 2nd June to 14th June. The other 2 fixtures will be played in September. 

We are pot 2 in league B. 

We will draw one from each of:

- Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia, Iceland 

- Israel 🙈, Ireland, Romania, Serbia 

- Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania, Armenia 

Another busy year in 2022....bring it on 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

As much as it pains me, Israel seem like the most favourable of that second lot!?  Iceland, Israel and Albania please 

Edited by todd

Also, the Nations League is hugely important for the 2024 Euros. Not just from a potential back up play-off spot from winning the group (UEFA yet to confirm how it will work this time) but from a seeding for the Euro Qualifiers.

If it's the same as Euro 2020, the seedings will be based on the Nations League rankings so winning our group will get us to be second seeds for the qualifiers and a better chance of direct qualification.

We'd need to either win the group or be the best ranked 2nd team to get into the top 20 and that crucial second seed place.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, borojock said:

I really enjoy the Nations League so much better than pointless friendly matches and its a great way to get yourself in the Euros 

Hope (and sure we will) go all out in it the best draw to try and win for me would be Iceland, Ireland and Armenia 

Couldn't agree more, it's one of the better decisions made by authorities recently. Adds value to every game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Armenia were half-decent now. Not sure. 

From an away trip point of view, I’d love Kiev again, although not if we’re playing Russia by the time the game comes round.

I also fancy Bucharest. Would be a good double header with Kiev.

Speaking of double headers, the TA and gonorrhoea hot spot on the Dniepr - the River Palace - is alas no more.

Got to be happy with that. 

Playing Ukraine 3 times in 6 months is a bit of a bore but it’s results that matter. 

Ireland are a very poor side compared to previous. 

Armenia - an interesting new opponent/place. 

Glad to avoid Israel, Albania and other potential tougher sides.