Betting thread,, where did it go? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Betting thread,, where did it go?

Was it PASTA Mick or someone else on here who for a couple of seasons around 09/10 ran a bet in some format where he lumped on the winnings from each week onto the next week?

One season he kept it going until about March before being brought down by a really daft Everton result?

52 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Was it PASTA Mick or someone else on here who for a couple of seasons around 09/10 ran a bet in some format where he lumped on the winnings from each week onto the next week?

One season he kept it going until about March before being brought down by a really daft Everton result?

I think it was the tenner to 10K or something like that. Start off with a tenner and then bet 1/2 shots or shorter. I tried it a couple of times and it sounds easy but it’s amazing how many odds on certainties lose! 

6 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dezmondo i think started it.

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think it was the tenner to 10K or something like that. Start off with a tenner and then bet 1/2 shots or shorter. I tried it a couple of times and it sounds easy but it’s amazing how many odds on certainties lose! 

Before the 1999 athlectic world champs we had the idea to pool money, a grand each, and put on a 9 bet accumalator of "certainties", just before it though a few of us got cold feet and decided against it as a grand was too much.

Then Marion Jones fucked her back in the 200m so totally dodged a bullet.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Before the 1999 athlectic world champs we had the idea to pool money, a grand each, and put on a 9 bet accumalator of "certainties", just before it though a few of us got cold feet and decided against it as a grand was too much.

Then Marion Jones fucked her back in the 200m so totally dodged a bullet.

I was doing it back when Rangers were in D3. I’d got my tenner up to about 500 quid and in between Christmas and New Year it went on Rangers to beat Queens Park. I’d never bet anything close to 500 quid before and it took a 93rd minute winner for the bet to come up. I knew after that I should have called it a day however the euphoria of a last minute winner got me a bit giddy and I went in again. I can’t remember the exact teams but this time it went on someone like Sheffield United who had gotten to Christmas unbeaten in the league and they were playing someone like Wycombe who had one once all season and hasn’t beaten Sheffield’ Unitied (or whoever the home team was) for like 50 years. The underdog were 3-0 up at HT and that was pretty much the last time I tried it! 

33 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I was doing it back when Rangers were in D3. I’d got my tenner up to about 500 quid and in between Christmas and New Year it went on Rangers to beat Queens Park. I’d never bet anything close to 500 quid before and it took a 93rd minute winner for the bet to come up. I knew after that I should have called it a day however the euphoria of a last minute winner got me a bit giddy and I went in again. I can’t remember the exact teams but this time it went on someone like Sheffield United who had gotten to Christmas unbeaten in the league and they were playing someone like Wycombe who had one once all season and hasn’t beaten Sheffield’ Unitied (or whoever the home team was) for like 50 years. The underdog were 3-0 up at HT and that was pretty much the last time I tried it! 

I remember that Fairbairn as I was up to about £350 and lost it all in the same game, it was definitely Sheffield United, can’t remember who they were playing tho. 
I had erased that from my memory, so thanks for reminding me of that “Ya Linwood closet St Murn supporter” 😂

Edited by Jersey Jim

4 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I remember that Fairbairn as I was up to about £350 and lost it all in the same game, it was definitely Sheffield United, can’t remember who they were playing tho. 
I had erased that from my memory, so thanks for reminding me of that “Ya Linwood closet St Murn supporter” 😂

Hartlepool rings a bell?

Edit - It was Hartlepool.  They were on a 22 game winless run and Utd hadn't lost at home all season!

Edited by Fairbairn

I mind Celtic getting beat off Dundee back in the 90's costing me 13k on this mad accumalator i had came up with (was a Sunday game)

I had never bet but folk in the facotry i was working in would grab slips at lunchtime so i ended up putting down like 15 WLD, got them all right bar that one.

25 minutes ago, phart said:

I mind Celtic getting beat off Dundee back in the 90's costing me 13k on this mad accumalator i had came up with (was a Sunday game)

I had never bet but folk in the facotry i was working in would grab slips at lunchtime so i ended up putting down like 15 WLD, got them all right bar that one.

Last game of the season during Martin O'Neill's tenure, when the league was already won?

Wow, I followed this loosely at the time but you got 10 quid to 500 pounds?! From an investment point of view anywhere you will struggle to get anywhere near that. That is amazing and clearly there is a lot to this. Just cash out sooner and go again or break it up once it gets large and run multiple bets so you are not wiped out on one bet. You put a tenner in and you were sitting on 500... that is some going on any investment. 50X wow.

I am definitely going to experiment with this. How many bets did it take to go from a tenner to 500. It does not really matter cause you did it but just from a work point of view how many bets did it take. Imagine if you had started with 10k... 

I started a similar thread a while back, but I was laying teams rather than backing them.  Kicked off with £20 and was soon laying things that were at least 20/1 against happening.  I got to over £250 until some Israeli mob who hadn't won since they were founded played away against the team running away with the league and took me back down to £20.  I got back up to over £250 again until some shower of no-hopers from N Ireland, etc, etc... you can guess the rest.  I got so fkin mad that I put a lay bet against some nag running at Musselburgh and the fker won and cleaned me out.