International Roll of Honour - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

International Roll of Honour

AlfieMoon

Craig Gordon (64 caps) and Andy Robertson (55) already in there. 

McGinn and McGregor likely to make it in the next 18 months maybe. 

Great to see a decent number of caps/experience building. A number of others in the squad could make it - Hanley, Tierney, McTominay. That’s before you even look at Gilmour and Patterson. 

McGinn will probably reach 50 caps by the end of our Nations League games next year and McGregor will be very near by then too as will Hanley.

Tierney (providing he remains fit) should reach 50 caps by the end of 2023. There is an outside chance  Armstrong could get to that mark I suppose as he is already on 30 caps. Another who has a chance is Ryan Christie who is not far off 30 caps and who is a regular in the side at the moment plus has time on his side.

Of the younger players I'd say Golmour looks a good bet to reach 50 caps in his career and Patterson likewise at present.

McGinn will probably reach 50 caps by the end of our Nations League games next year and McGregor will be very near by then too as will Hanley.

Tierney (providing he remains fit) should reach 50 caps by the end of 2023. There is an outside chance  Armstrong could get to that mark I suppose as he is already on 30 caps. Another who has a chance is Ryan Christie who is not far off 30 caps and who is a regular in the side at the moment plus has time on his side.

Of the younger players I'd say Golmour looks a good bet to reach 50 caps in his career and Patterson likewise at present.

We look at 50 caps as a landmark number when loads of other countries have numerous players on over a hundred caps. 

Rui Patricio is on 102 caps and he doesn't even make Portugal's top 5.

The Nations League has definitely helped our players to get more experience at international level. We never used to organise many friendlies and even when we did, a lot of our players didn't turn up for them for various reasons. Not qualifying for tournaments hasn't helped either. 

Hopefully we will have half a dozen on over 100 within a decade?

Reaching major comps certainly helps with the cap count. I couldnt believe that Adams is on 13 caps when I heard it on the radio the other day.

Would be nice if Robertson could push towards 100 caps.

One thing id love to happen soon is somebody to start moving up the scoring charts. Mcginn on 11 is our highest at the moment I believe.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Reaching major comps certainly helps with the cap count. I couldnt believe that Adams is on 13 caps when I heard it on the radio the other day.

Would be nice if Robertson could push towards 100 caps.

One thing id love to happen soon is somebody to start moving up the scoring charts. Mcginn on 11 is our highest at the moment I believe.

Surely Dykes has been doing that? He had 2 goals 2 months ago and now he has 6. 

If he remains our main striker for at least 3/4 years and continues to score he should at least catch McCoist. He already has a similar games to goal ratio.

Hopefully McGinn keeps scoring as well but we can’t rely on a midfielder for goals. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Surely Dykes has been doing that? He had 2 goals 2 months ago and now he has 6. 

If he remains our main striker for at least 3/4 years and continues to score he should at least catch McCoist. He already has a similar games to goal ratio.

Hopefully McGinn keeps scoring as well but we can’t rely on a midfielder for goals. 

Im abit torn on Dykes to be honest. I didnt rate him prior to him being called up but he has certainly shown that he adds something to our team and has come up with some crucial goals.

That said id be surprised (plesently) if he continues to score at his recent rate. I thought Adams was excellent in the last 2 games and operated at a higher level than I personally feel Dykes is capable of. 

Its good to finally have a couple of strikers capable of scoring and leading the line for us though.

My comment was more along the lines of somebody who might challenge the scoring records. I cant see that being Dykes.

Just on the goals records, judging by the past the 20-30 years I’d be very surprised (but delighted) if Dykes or Adam’s got near Miller and McCoist. (18 & 19)Easier said than done. Miller should have made the 20s, I remember a fair few missed one on ones.I remember when Jordan Rhodes came into the fold I genuinely thought he’d be challenging Law and Dalglish’s  30 as he was so clinical at the time. Where the fk is he now lol. Would love to see McGinn pushing on with a few more soon, he’s currently 1 behind John Collins. We are surely due a striker to get into the 20s at least, be delighted if Dykes and or Adam’s do that.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, Orraloon said:

We look at 50 caps as a landmark number when loads of other countries have numerous players on over a hundred caps. 

Rui Patricio is on 102 caps and he doesn't even make Portugal's top 5.

The Nations League has definitely helped our players to get more experience at international level. We never used to organise many friendlies and even when we did, a lot of our players didn't turn up for them for various reasons. Not qualifying for tournaments hasn't helped either. 

Hopefully we will have half a dozen on over 100 within a decade?

Nations League has been a fantastic invention IMO 

Obviously we got to the Euros through it but its replaced the friendlies pretty much which on reflection were boring and dull at best of time has created a third interesting competition with a very different angle which i am really enjoying 

21 hours ago, JECK said:

Just on the goals records, judging by the past the 20-30 years I’d be very surprised (but delighted) if Dykes or Adam’s got near Miller and McCoist. (18 & 19)Easier said than done. Miller should have made the 20s, I remember a fair few missed one on ones.I remember when Jordan Rhodes came into the fold I genuinely thought he’d be challenging Law and Dalglish’s  30 as he was so clinical at the time. Where the fk is he now lol. Would love to see McGinn pushing on with a few more soon, he’s currently 1 behind John Collins. We are surely due a striker to get into the 20s at least, be delighted if Dykes and or Adam’s do that.

Depends whether Dykes stays in the squad or not. If he’s our first choice striker for the next few years I’d be surprised if he doesn’t beat McCoist’s total. 

57 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends whether Dykes stays in the squad or not. If he’s our first choice striker for the next few years I’d be surprised if he doesn’t beat McCoist’s total. 

The problem with our strikers is we seem to rotate every few years. Miller was the last ever-present, and, as others have said, he very easily could have broken 20. McFadden would have as well if he wasn't plagued with injuries.

As much as I am loving both Dykes and Adams at the moment, if another prolific striker appears in the next year, their place in the starting 11 is not secured. At least not in the same way the likes of Robertson, Tierney or McGinn's position is secure.

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

The problem with our strikers is we seem to rotate every few years. Miller was the last ever-present, and, as others have said, he very easily could have broken 20. McFadden would have as well if he wasn't plagued with injuries.

As much as I am loving both Dykes and Adams at the moment, if another prolific striker appears in the next year, their place in the starting 11 is not secured. At least not in the same way the likes of Robertson, Tierney or McGinn's position is secure.

Absolutely and that’s why I said if Dykes remains our first choice striker. He might and he might not. 

McCoist had to compete with several different quality strikers over his international career whilst Dykes only really has Adams as a potential rival and they normally play together. As you say, that could change in the near future  Things can happen very quickly in football.

It has taken Dykes 14 months to accrue just under 1/3 or McCoist’s caps (20 v 61) and score just under 1/3 of the number of goals McCost scored (6 v 19). If things go to plan next year Dykes could get another 13 or 14 caps and could bag another few goals. 

If we get another 6 team group for our Euro 2024 group and get a Moldova/Liechtenstein/Gibraltar type minnow he could score quite a few in that. If all of that happens, and granted it’s a big if, he could be within touching distance of Miller’s and McCoist’s tallies pretty quickly. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely and that’s why I said if Dykes remains our first choice striker. He might and he might not. 

McCoist had to compete with several different quality strikers over his international career whilst Dykes only really has Adams as a potential rival and they normally play together. As you say, that could change in the near future  Things can happen very quickly in football.

It has taken Dykes 14 months to accrue just under 1/3 or McCoist’s caps (20 v 61) and score just under 1/3 of the number of goals McCost scored (6 v 19). If things go to plan next year Dykes could get another 13 or 14 caps and could bag another few goals. 

If we get another 6 team group for our Euro 2024 group and get a Moldova/Liechtenstein/Gibraltar type minnow he could score quite a few in that. If all of that happens, and granted it’s a big if, he could be within touching distance of Miller’s and McCoist’s tallies pretty quickly. 

Very true. I always think it's mad when strikers pull out of games against minnows. If it weren't for those games, Stephen Fletcher would not have been anywhere near double figures. Didn't he score 6 against Gibraltar? It skews reality a wee bit, but Fletcher deserved to have that tally after some of his performances against the likes of Germany.