Not getting ahead of ourselves - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not getting ahead of ourselves

Diamond Scot

47 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

remember the free kick that Italy got when we played them last when they fouled Alan Hutton and then scored?  We are playing against 12 men and fifa.  No way Italy would not get every decision going. Italy will be at the World Cup.

Our goal in that game was a mile offside.

Sure, the Italian's winner at the end was never a free kick, but why didn't our players just defend it better ?

People like you are too thick to consider that.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So? It did not stop us beating a team ranked 9th in the world this week.

The world rankings are gospel only a philistine would think otherwise.

You could of course say that North Macedonia have moved up the ranking points table the most closely followed by ourselves  and that most of the other other countries in the playoffs are in decline. 

21 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The world doesnt end but getting ahead of ourselves can have an impact.

Classic example was the summer. For years and years the vast majority of fans just wanted to get back to a major comp. Couldnt care less how we did when we got there, please god please just let us go to one. Clarke and the team then get us to one with a very good unexpected performance in Serbia and come the lead up to the summer we have lots of fans saying we should beat Czech and Croatia. When that doesnt happen a not insignificant percentage of fans were doubting Clarke and not happy he got a new contract. 

If those fans had got their way would we be in the position we are now?

Im not saying dont enjoy the success, god knows I am. Im saying it needs to be tempered with a touch of realism. We have done amazingly well to finish 2nd and get a seeded draw but its still uphill from here.

If for example we got a non Poland for the semi and got beat. Id be disappointed but still confident in the managers and players going forward as its all about progress.

We didn’t play well at the Euros because we downplayed ourselves. 

27 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sure, the Italian's winner at the end was never a free kick, but why didn't our players just defend it better ?

A mile offside? The initial shot came back off their keeper, yeh as the shot was taken Ferguson was offside but once it strikes the keeper is that not 2nd phase or whatever the hell they call it?  Either way, hardly a clear cut mile offside decision 

6 minutes ago, todd said:

Has anyone on here, just out of interest, looked up the betting odds on us winning the World Cup?  What the fuck, they even have teams that are already out ahead of us odds wise, Norway, Republic of Ireland for example! 😆

Yea, quite fancy Switzerland to win their group with Italy at 5/2 mind you.

Only prices I could find on our qualification was 11/4

36 minutes ago, todd said:

Has anyone on here, just out of interest, looked up the betting odds on us winning the World Cup?  What the fuck, they even have teams that are already out ahead of us odds wise, Norway, Republic of Ireland for example! 😆

Hah! You got a link? Did some googling and couldn't see that

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It’s about the decisions balancing the odds in their favour.  People like you are too thick to consider that.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Hah, brilliant. I see the culprit is QuinnBet. Have sent that to my Irish pal who used to work as an odds compiler, along with a load of invective 😄

😂 It's akin to those people who place substantial bets on the world ending 😁

13 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

North Macedonia are a very decent side. They got to the Euros and they are in the POs - a bit like us. I watched their final game, and lucky for us (if we do manage to draw them) Elias their star man is out of the first leg with a suspension.

It's arrogant of us to think Macedonia would be easy, it's the same arrogance that makes the unseeded teams think we will be an easier game than the rest of the seeded teams. 

Every game at this stage is going to be a tough match up. 

As well as we played, they still had a great chance in the second half but that’s football, loads of different little moments during a game that can potentially change the outcome. 

Ive been critical of Clarke in the past but happy to admit I’m wrong and he’s got us playing as well as I think anyone can. We’re still a fairly limited team, especially when compared with the top teams in Europe but it’s great to see us being competitive. 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As well as we played, they still had a great chance in the second half but that’s football, loads of different little moments during a game that can potentially change the outcome. 

Ive been critical of Clarke in the past but happy to admit I’m wrong and he’s got us playing as well as I think anyone can. We’re still a fairly limited team, especially when compared with the top teams in Europe but it’s great to see us being competitive. 

We're still a limited squad tbf, best we can hope for us to qualify for tournaments and clarke is doing a fairly good job so far at achieving that goal. 

I’ve been ‘realistic’ since my first trip to Hampden 20 years ago. I’m 29 and have spent the better part of the past 20 years being told about the ‘glory days’, before my time, and how the same heights will not be reached again.

I’m fully embracing the excitement, anticipation and, dare I say it, allowing myself to dream a little. 

Doom merchants are exhausting.