U21 v Belgium - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21 v Belgium

Hertsscot

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Currently 1-0 down to a decent Belgian team. Doig has played quite well but got caught out and conceded a pen.

I think I’m of the few people not impressed by Doig. I just don’t think he’s good enough technically to go beyond SPFL level. 

I’d like to see Banks and Mebude in the second half. 

Gemmell is currently playing 5 out of 11 players outside their natural position. I know a few of them are versatile but that is a bit ridiculous.

Burroughs - CM playing RB. He is very versatile tbf to Gemmell

Clayton - CB playing LB

Florini - CM/CAM playing LW

Leonard - CM/CAM playing RW

Middleton - LW playing ST

While some have played in these positions here and there. That is a ridiculous volume out of their natural position in one game.

This is Youth football, you are supposed to be prepping them for the top team and helping them progress. This is just fitting players in to try and get a result.

15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think I’m of the few people not impressed by Doig. I just don’t think he’s good enough technically to go beyond SPFL level. 

I’d like to see Banks and Mebude in the second half. 

Well, you've got one of your wishes. Mebude in for Middleton, though probably injury rather than tactical substitution.

4 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Gemmell is currently playing 5 out of 11 players outside their natural position. I know a few of them are versatile but that is a bit ridiculous.

Burroughs - CM playing RB. He is very versatile tbf to Gemmell

Clayton - CB playing LB

Florini - CM/CAM playing LW

Leonard - CM/CAM playing RW

Middleton - LW playing ST

While some have played in these positions here and there. That is a ridiculous volume out of their natural position in one game.

This is Youth football, you are supposed to be prepping them for the top team and helping them progress. This is just fitting players in to try and get a result.

Exactly. Someone needs to remind Gemmill that the predominant reason the Unders exist is to prepare them for senior football. Results are secondary. I really don't see how much benefit these youngsters will get playing out of position. 

It's astonishing that we can't find a decent enough striker to play up front.

Edited by Tartan blood

18 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Exactly. Someone needs to remind Gemmill that the predominant reason the Unders exist is to prepare them for senior football. Results are secondary. I really don't see how much benefit these youngsters will get playing out of position. 

It's astonishing that we can't find a decent enough striker to play up front.

Results might be secondary but he doesn't get many of those either.

From the most recent batch of U21's we've had 4 make the step up to the senior squad with the youngest 2 actually being certain starters now.  That's not too bad a return.  However, from what I've seen in this campaign so far I don't think any of the present lot will be chapping on the door any time soon.

21 minutes ago, daviebee said:

From the most recent batch of U21's we've had 4 make the step up to the senior squad with the youngest 2 actually being certain starters now.  That's not too bad a return.  However, from what I've seen in this campaign so far I don't think any of the present lot will be chapping on the door any time soon.

Performance schools bearing fruit? Can nearly say they are.