Options - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Options

Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s a defender mate. A defender. His job is not to score goals. 

Thats exactly my point. Somebody said he wasnt world class because he isnt good at shooting. I said he is a defender and thats not his job, he does everything else to a world class level but he could certainly improve his shooting.

Then a bunch of other ppl post about how good he is at shooting which he isnt as the stats show. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thats exactly my point. Somebody said he wasnt world class because he isnt good at shooting. I said he is a defender and thats not his job, he does everything else to a world class level but he could certainly improve his shooting.

Then a bunch of other ppl post about how good he is at shooting which he isnt as the stats show. 

He’s not great at scoring goals but he’s better than Liam Cooper. 

That wouldn’t be difficult to be fair. 

Edited by Texas Pete

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Will be hard to judge until his career is over.

Believe it or not but McGrain also used to make the odd error which led to goals.  

You can't really call players world class until their careers are over or in the case of your  Ronaldo's and Messi's they have been doing it for 10 years plus.

He is rated by many in the game as the best left-back in the world. And they are not all Scots by the way. That accolade certainly pins him as world class. He has the merits badges to prove it too - EPlL winner, Champions League winner and pretty sure he has made it into UEFA's team of the year in the recent past. If that isn't world class status then I am staggered.

Whats important is that we maximise the length of international careers that guys like mcginn, tierney, Robertson etc have.

We need these guys to play until 34/35 instead of retiring at 32 like most of our players have over the last 20 years. 

We are on the cusp of a golden generation and getting them to commit to an extra couple of years to international football could be the difference between getting to more tournaments or not. 

Anybody know much about Liam Henderson who is plying his trade in Serie A with Empoli? All I have been able to find out is that he's right-footed and 6 foot, but it seems unclear if he is a defensive or an attacking midfielder, central or wide. We do need to have plenty of options if McGinn is ever unavailable and the only cover I can see is maybe the inexperienced Turnbull.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Anybody know much about Liam Henderson who is plying his trade in Serie A with Empoli? All I have been able to find out is that he's right-footed and 6 foot, but it seems unclear if he is a defensive or an attacking midfielder, central or wide. We do need to have plenty of options if McGinn is ever unavailable and the only cover I can see is maybe the inexperienced Turnbull.

Armstrong, Turnbull and Christie can all play that attacking mid role mcginn plays. Plus gauld would be first in line for the squad should any of those pull out. Nothing against Liam Henderson though, if he's playing well in serie a every week then he should be considered for the squad. 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I watched an Empoli game two weeks ago, he was starting in CM. He’s an attacking midfielder, takes all their set pieces. 

Realistically someone playing every week in Serie A should get properly scouted as he’s younger than the likes of McLean who’s a fixture in the squad so he should be worth being looked at. 

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I watched an Empoli game two weeks ago, he was starting in CM. He’s an attacking midfielder, takes all their set pieces. 

Realistically someone playing every week in Serie A should get properly scouted as he’s younger than the likes of McLean who’s a fixture in the squad so he should be worth being looked at. 

Thanks for that. Wasn't thinking he could be a starter, just someone for the future, maybe a successor to McLean or Fleck.

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Thanks for that. Wasn't thinking he could be a starter, just someone for the future, maybe a successor to McLean or Fleck.

Fleck Doesn't get picked anymore so he won't be taking his place.

As well as Mclean has done for us he is about the only midfield player you could drop and I reckon that would be for Jack.

Although to be honest there's not that much between them so Clarke will probably keep McLean as long as possible. 

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fleck Doesn't get picked anymore so he won't be taking his place.

As well as Mclean has done for us he is about the only midfield player you could drop and I reckon that would be for Jack.

Although to be honest there's not that much between them so Clarke will probably keep McLean as long as possible. 

You wouldn't drop Ferguson for Jack? 

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is Ferguson really a defensive midfielder? If so maybe, but I honestly think Jack is over rated.

To be honest I keep forgetting Ferguson is in squads.

Jack is really the only DM we have; if you don't rate him then you clearly didn't see his composed play for Rangers in European games - he is the ideal player to put in front of a back four. However, you cannot drop Gilmour for him.

I'd have Jack in my squad all the time if fit he does something that no one else really does hes a DM can be a great option to shore the midfield up 

I wouldnt have him in my starting 11 but for certain in my squad 4 center midfielders i would have no in specific order would be Gilmour McGregor McTominay and Jack 

Thought he was outstanding against against Serbia 

21 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

going to be some tough squad calls in March….    Jack coming back from injury, who does he replace.  Does souttar keep a squad place after mom appearance, but ahead of who? 

Given that Gilmour is being played further forward by Dean Smith, I think Jack could play in front of the back 3 levaing Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor to support Adams as a lone striker.That would be a 3-1-5-1 in effect. Away from home where we need to be tight perhaps....

31 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

going to be some tough squad calls in March….    Jack coming back from injury, who does he replace.  Does souttar keep a squad place after mom appearance, but ahead of who? 

It depends a lot on what form Jack and Souttar are in. Souttar I could easily see replacing Scott McKenna. Jack is more tricky to fit in.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Different type of player but if Jack hits form then he should replace ferguson. We have plenty of players who can play the attacking midfield role. Armstrong, Christie, McGinn, Turnbull, Gilmour can cover that  position. 

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It depends a lot on what form Jack and Souttar are in. Souttar I could easily see replacing Scott McKenna. Jack is more tricky to fit in.

Yeah agree with that. Souttar surely has to stay in the squad. 

Jack could take Ferguson’s place or possibly Clarke would keep the younger option in the squad.

Someone off the radar could come into form before then too of course. 

Yeah, if Jack returns to the form that he was in on his last match in Serbia he will be in the squad, the only question is at the expense of who.  My guess is one of the younger members like Ferguson or turnbull.  Clarke will no doubt be thinking about the quality of of opposition and the need to be combative to neutralise any tricky number 10s.

The more the merrier, it’s good to have competition and options all over the park. There’s a good chance we will need it, I’m sure there will be a couple of the squad with injuries when the playoffs come around.