Options - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Options

Caledonian Craig

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

we have had zero world class players since Kenny dalglish.  This is the best squad we have had in twenty years I would say so guess we can be happy with that.

Andy Robertson is world class. He’s been the best or one of the best in the world in his position for a number of years & has played a big role in title and European success for his club. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Let's not re-open that debate. 😂

At the very least, Andy Robertson is inarguably world class, by anyone's definition. So he is wrong on that count alone.

He has been presented with a number of shooting chances in recent games ; he typically skys them or straight at keeper ; thats not world class

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s a defender. 

Yeah i do get that

at the same time ; his position in the modern game / attacking wing back or whatever has presented him with opportunities on edge of box - we could of had an easier night in serbia for example after dykes goal

i recall euro 92 v germany & holland we had loads of chances that fell to mcpherson/ gough etc where technique was so pish it ended up typically in row z ; they usually got a free pass as old school defenders

am not sure we ve improved too much in that area ; our boys get a nosebleed too far up the park - lot of other countries all positions tend to be sclaff free

hes also a captain ,and often lauded as world class - but he has an achilles heel

8 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yeah i do get that

at the same time ; his position in the modern game / attacking wing back or whatever has presented him with opportunities on edge of box - we could of had an easier night in serbia for example after dykes goal

i recall euro 92 v germany & holland we had loads of chances that fell to mcpherson/ gough etc where technique was so pish it ended up typically in row z ; they usually got a free pass as old school defenders

am not sure we ve improved too much in that area ; our boys get a nosebleed too far up the park - lot of other countries all positions tend to be sclaff free

hes also a captain ,and often lauded as world class - but he has an achilles heel

He’s not a wing back either. Just because Clarke plays him there doesn’t mean that’s his actual position. 

It’s possible to be a world class left back and not have that good a shot. His job is to defend and get down the left wing and put dangerous crosses in, which he does very well. 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He has been at fault for some of the goals we have conceded as well.

Not as good as McGrain. On par with Frank Gray maybe?

Will be hard to judge until his career is over.

Believe it or not but McGrain also used to make the odd error which led to goals.  

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Will be hard to judge until his career is over.

Believe it or not but McGrain also used to make the odd error which led to goals.  

McGrain had one bad game for us. Jock Stein dropped him and he never started another game for Scotland. Nae messing about in them days.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Danny McGrain was probably a better left back even out of position he was world class.

He couldn't shoot to save his life either!  Not sure what's gone wrong with Andy Robertson's finishing as I'm pretty sure he used to bag a few for United.  His goals for us have all been crackers as well.

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yeah i do get that

Im not sure you can say a defender isnt world class because he isnt good at shooting.

As others have said, Robertson has played for one of the top 10 teams in Europe / the world for several years now, winning a league title and a european cup. His assist stats are off the chart and has been part of a very good side. 

You need to judge a player on his job. You wouldnt say Ronaldo and Messi arent world class because they cant tackle that well.

I think what we have in the squad now is several players who are established as main players in a top league, Robertson, Tierney, McTomminay. Others who are in and about that level, Hanley, Cooper, Armstrong, Adams and then the rest made up of good dependable players and young prospects.

The main thing for me is the emergence of better techinical players.

42 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not sure you can say a defender isnt world class because he isnt good at shooting.

As others have said, Robertson has played for one of the top 10 teams in Europe / the world for several years now, winning a league title and a european cup. His assist stats are off the chart and has been part of a very good side. 

You need to judge a player on his job. You wouldnt say Ronaldo and Messi arent world class because they cant tackle that well.

I think what we have in the squad now is several players who are established as main players in a top league, Robertson, Tierney, McTomminay. Others who are in and about that level, Hanley, Cooper, Armstrong, Adams and then the rest made up of good dependable players and young prospects.

The main thing for me is the emergence of better techinical players.

You re correct am maybe splitting hairs , but i do feel if he gets into these positions ( quite often for us ) he should be doing better - that break the other night with Adams - if he had chose to square it to robbo - do you think he d have composure to finish ?or another ooh-aah / great save moment ….

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

You are surely fishing. 

Def not

its just my observation- he had one against the Czechs too i recall in euros at crucial time ? Moldova too

am in no way denying hes a great player ; but recently he cant hit a coos arse with a banjo

maybe its not his job though ?

does he need to hold it up on the edge of the box for someone who can indeed shoot - or work on his accuracy 

It is great having a left back like Robertson and a player like Tierney who is not far behind or even on a par at times. As for his shooting I am sure he is aware of the missed chances and that is something he can work on.

He certainly is not the only one that has missed chances althoughI would say that since the euros we are putting a few away now. 

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

You re correct am maybe splitting hairs , but i do feel if he gets into these positions ( quite often for us ) he should be doing better - that break the other night with Adams - if he had chose to square it to robbo - do you think he d have composure to finish ?or another ooh-aah / great save moment ….

I said to my mate at the game on Monday that if we had somebody 1 on 1 with the gk with a min to go to win who would be the last player on the pitch you would want it to be. I said Robertson.

Its without question the area of his game that he could improve the most however its not part of his main role. I actually dont think the issue is as much technique as it is compusure.

My mates answer was Dkyes which is more of a worry lol

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I said to my mate at the game on Monday that if we had somebody 1 on 1 with the gk with a min to go to win who would be the last player on the pitch you would want it to be. I said Robertson.

Its without question the area of his game that he could improve the most however its not part of his main role. I actually dont think the issue is as much technique as it is compusure.

My mates answer was Dkyes which is more of a worry lol

You’d rather have Cooper or McKenna through on the keeper than Robertson? 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’d rather have Cooper or McKenna through on the keeper than Robertson? 

It was at the start of the game so McKenna wasnt on the pitch at the time but yes. Id rather have cooper through on goal. I get the feeling he would put his laces through it. Not saying id be confident him or Odonnell scoring either but Robertson's shooting is woeful.

12 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

It was at the start of the game so McKenna wasnt on the pitch at the time but yes. Id rather have cooper through on goal. I get the feeling he would put his laces through it. Not saying id be confident him or Odonnell scoring either but Robertson's shooting is woeful.

Dearie me. Have a look at some of Robertson’s goals on YouTube and then have a look at Cooper’s. 

Just because Robertson has a missed a few chances recently doesn’t mean he can’t score. 

This is a ridiculous conversation in all honesty. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Dearie me. Have a look at some of Robertson’s goals on YouTube and then have a look at Cooper’s. 

Just because Robertson has a missed a few chances recently doesn’t mean he can’t score. 

This is a ridiculous conversation in all honesty. 

Robertson has scored 4 goals in 170 games for Liverpool. 1 of which I remember was defo a header so 3 goals in 170 games for a side who dominate most games, where he is encouraged and indeed does reguarly storm forward.

A goal every 56 games isnt exactly backing up your position is it?

Cooper has 9 in 219. At least 5 of those werent headers according to the stat websites so even as a starting point his scoring stats with his feet are a goal every 43 games. 

Anyway enough with stats. The general point I was making was that Robertson isnt good at shooting but is a world class player regardless as that aint his job.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Robertson has scored 4 goals in 170 games for Liverpool. 1 of which I remember was defo a header so 3 goals in 170 games for a side who dominate most games, where he is encouraged and indeed does reguarly storm forward.

A goal every 56 games isnt exactly backing up your position is it?

Cooper has 9 in 219. At least 5 of those werent headers according to the stat websites so even as a starting point his scoring stats with his feet are a goal every 43 games. 

Anyway enough with stats. The general point I was making was that Robertson isnt good at shooting but is a world class player regardless as that aint his job.

He’s a defender mate. A defender. His job is not to score goals.