Liam Cooper - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Liam Cooper

ProudScot

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Was a total rock & arrived as a Scotland player last night. Showed how reliable he can be.

Gives Steve Clarke a real selection dilemma for the play offs at centre back if all options are fit and available. 

He certainly does, great to have options in different positions.

Best squad for a long time.

Excellent performance last night (IMHO just pipped Souttar for MOTM) and really makes you question why he does not have about 40 odd caps by now... Strachan and Eck called him up and never played him, then Clarke gave him a run of games, and while never let Scotland down, he never really shined.

Really is changed days at the back when we had to play Russell Martin out of position to guide Grant Hanley through games with Berra the only other alternative.

46 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Excellent performance last night (IMHO just pipped Souttar for MOTM) and really makes you question why he does not have about 40 odd caps by now... Strachan and Eck called him up and never played him, then Clarke gave him a run of games, and while never let Scotland down, he never really shined.

Really is changed days at the back when we had to play Russell Martin out of position to guide Grant Hanley through games with Berra the only other alternative.

Hanley played out of position on the left to accommodate Martin. I can’t abide injustice. 

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hanley played out of position on the left to accommodate Martin. I can’t abide injustice. 

Just shows how far we have come that 16 months or so ago we could not even put a defense together and calls for Caulker to get a call up, now we have at least 5 combo's of defenses we can put together and majority of them work.

I wasn’t really convinced by Cooper for a long time, but he was excellent in Moldova and against the Danes last night, so he is winning me over. As had been said, we now really do have strength in depth and solid options at centre-half. We’re starting to be defensively solid and aren’t conceding many goals or gifting soft goals/chances away. It’s great to see!

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Leeds were in the championship at the time, and when our resident Leeds fan turns up he will confirm that the Leeds support didn't even want him in their squad. Its really in the last two and a half years that he has developed into the player he is now. 

The way we play with Tierney and Robertson means these Centre Halves have to be disciplined.  Cooper, Hanley, Souttar, Hendry, McTominay all been superb.  Big Hanley still the main guy for me but strength in depth.

Fair play to Clarke he's found a way of playing our best players in a system that they understand.  

I still don't understand how he's managed to have Tierney playing left centre half and also throwing crosses into the box but I like it!

Edited by PapofGlencoe

I think what the last few games have proved is we don’t need to play Scott McTominay in central defence unless we have injury/Covid issues in that area. 

If McTominay can’t play his way into our midfield then he should sit on the bench until he can. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I think what the last few games have proved is we don’t need to play Scott McTominay in central defence unless we have injury/Covid issues in that area. 

If McTominay can’t play his way into our midfield then he should sit on the bench until he can. 

Very accurate. 

When you add in Hanley, Hendry, Patterson, Fraser, McTominay, Dykes & youth like Hickey, Ramsay, Doig etc we have a pretty strong squad now. 

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Its brilliant to hear the different opinions people have on MOTM, in the sense that there as so many possibilities rather than having to choose the lesser of 11 evils. 

Its funny me and my old boy were in agreement that Cooper was MOTM but when I watched the highlights when I got in, Souttar was also very impressive. Sometimes its hard to tell who made what block or clearance at the time.

To echo many folk's sentiments though, I think Cooper has now put himself in pole position for that central CB role.