Stephen O' Donnell - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen O' Donnell

marinello

I love him but we had no right hand side attacking wise at all tonight. I think it’ll be one of his last caps. 

He’s not athletic and struggles to get up and down or back at pace which is crucial in this formation. 

Been a servant but there are 3 much younger more dynamic and ultimately better right wing back options who have or are about to overtake him. 

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I love him but we had no right hand side attacking wise at all tonight. I think it’ll be one of his last caps. 

He’s not athletic and struggles to get up and down or back at pace which is crucial in this formation. 

Been a servant but there are 3 much younger more dynamic and ultimately better right wing back options who have or are about to overtake him. 

without watching the game again I can think of three instances where mcginn, gilmour and odonnell made crosses into dangerous areas, odonnell was involved in all build ups.

He isn't our first choice but as a back up choice he is adequate. We were playing against a top side last night and odonnell did what was asked

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

without watching the game again I can think of three instances where mcginn, gilmour and odonnell made crosses into dangerous areas, odonnell was involved in all build ups.

He isn't our first choice but as a back up choice he is adequate. We were playing against a top side last night and odonnell did what was asked

He does brilliant for his limited ability. He has really tidy moments too and plays with a lot of heart.

That said the difference in final third involvement between him and Patterson is substantial. 

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He does brilliant for his limited ability. He has really tidy moments too and plays with a lot of heart.

That said the difference in final third involvement between him and Patterson is substantial. 

Patterson is our number one, nobody could argue that now. Odonnell coming in as back doesn't worry me like it used to because Clarke is our manager

Clarke masterminded that win with a hearts centre half and a Motherwell right back against a side on unbelievable form 

Hes solid and you know what you get from him, thats why hes always in the squad, he suites specific games more than others, i thought yesterdays game would suite his style/ability,, you obviously have young talented players in his position so i guess he may well end up out of favour long term but he has done brilliantly for us

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Patterson is our number one, nobody could argue that now. Odonnell coming in as back doesn't worry me like it used to because Clarke is our manager

Clarke masterminded that win with a hearts centre half and a Motherwell right back against a side on unbelievable form 

Agreed.

Same way he masterminded the win vs Serbia with two Motherwell players in defence. 

The man is a genius. Was absolutely buzzing hearing the full stadium sing his name last night. 

These are great times. 

Odonnell will be good enough until there are better players.

That is the system Clarke has put in place. He has a very settled squad. He doesnt tend to bring in the flavour of the month. You earn your place in the squad, then try to get in the team.

Paterson has moved ahead of Palmer and now Odonnell. Its now up to Odonnell to keep himself agead of Ralston, Ramsey and Hickey.

I get the impression Clarke is very honest and fair with players. There is no launching them out the squad or the team. Just a natural progression that can be reversed with better form etc.

We now have a situation where I think most players would accept not being in the starting line up for any particular game because they trust the manager, have a real team spirit and can also see the other players are performing.

30 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Odonnell will be good enough until there are better players.

That is the system Clarke has put in place. He has a very settled squad. He doesnt tend to bring in the flavour of the month. You earn your place in the squad, then try to get in the team.

Paterson has moved ahead of Palmer and now Odonnell. Its now up to Odonnell to keep himself agead of Ralston, Ramsey and Hickey.

I get the impression Clarke is very honest and fair with players. There is no launching them out the squad or the team. Just a natural progression that can be reversed with better form etc.

We now have a situation where I think most players would accept not being in the starting line up for any particular game because they trust the manager, have a real team spirit and can also see the other players are performing.

Bang on. 

I think O'Donnell gets stick because people are plain shitting themselves Patterson may not get selected. It is sort of a mindset of destroy the opposition regardless. They needn't panic. Patterson has the shirt now but O'Donnell has shown time and again he can and does do a damned good job for us when called upon. Think of all the key games in the last year. The play-off V Serbia, V England in the Euros, V Austria in Vienna and last night V Denmark. All games with massive amount of pressure against top notch opponents and all games O'Donnell played in and let nobody down.

Lets all just be thankful we have able candidates in number for the right wing-back role.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think O'Donnell gets stick because people are plain shitting themselves Patterson may not get selected. It is sort of a mindset of destroy the opposition regardless. They needn't panic. Patterson has the shirt now but O'Donnell has shown time and again he can and does do a damned good job for us when called upon. Think of all the key games in the last year. The play-off V Serbia, V England in the Euros, V Austria in Vienna and last night V Denmark. All games with massive amount of pressure against top notch opponents and all games O'Donnell played in and let nobody down.

Lets all just be thankful we have able candidates in number for the right wing-back role.

After the game in Moldova, SOD was out with a few other unused players doing a warm down and the full away end were singing his name. 

He looked chuffed/embarrassed at the game time but one thing he defo is when he get picked for Scotland, is proud. 

There's a possibility that last night will be his last cap given the 4 month gap til the next game combined with the emergence of Patterson, Ralston, Ramsay and Hickey.

If it is, he can be very proud of what he's achieved with us. Very rarely let us down and produced a few outstanding performances. 

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

There's a possibility that last night will be his last cap given the 4 month gap til the next game combined with the emergence of Patterson, Ralston, Ramsay and Hickey.

If it is, he can be very proud of what he's achieved with us. Very rarely let us down and produced a few outstanding performances. 

I wouldn’t bet on it. Clarke obviously rates him and is loyal to his players. 

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Was thinking the same. He’s also having a poor season domestically too

He's always stepped up for Scotland and the criticism after the Czechia game was ridiculous - he showed them up with a brilliant performance v England and I loved it especially when he clattered fancy-dan Jack Grealish soon after he came on. He's ignored the criticisms, always turned up and always done his best when picked. Plays like he'd run through a brick wall for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t bet on it. Clarke obviously rates him and is loyal to his players. 

If we qualify for the WC I could see Clarke sticking by him until then. If we don't then I think he'll use the start of the Nations League as a chance to add a few new faces.

O'Donnell will be 32 come Euro 24, he's already slow.