Scotland vs Denmark match thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Denmark match thread

Guest Scot1

The France wins were probably our best results since 98 however if we are honest both were backs to the wall performances where we sneaked a goal.

Holland play off win we actually played well however Ukraine and last night are the best performances I can remember where we totally outplayed and outclassed a team ranked considerably higher than us.

The 1st half in particular last night was mind blowing "this isnt Scotland" type stuff.

The one thing I hope we learn from last night is that we fair much better when we are brave on the ball and dont just hit it long when under pressure. We did this for the 1st 20 odd mins in the 2nd half and it made things very difficult for ourselves which required some very good last ditch defending.

Once we started passing again, picking when to play it in behind etc we started to create chances again, looked much more comfortable and finally good the counter attack 2nd goal.

Billy Gilmour changes how we play. He dictates our style and is so impressive.

Everyone played well last night but I thought Adams was flawless. Lead the line, hold up play was fantastic, linked etc and took his goal well.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, borojock said:

Im assuming that that win will help us with fifa rankings that could move us up closer to pot 2 for the next qualifying draw for the next euros? 

I was wondering the same, 6 wins on the bounce must surely bump us up a few spots.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The France wins were probably our best results since 98 however if we are honest both were backs to the wall performances where we sneaked a goal.

Holland play off win we actually played well however Ukraine and last night are the best performances I can remember where we totally outplayed and outclassed a team ranked considerably higher than us.

The 1st half in particular last night was mind blowing "this isnt Scotland" type stuff.

The one thing I hope we learn from last night is that we fair much better when we are brave on the ball and dont just hit it long when under pressure. We did this for the 1st 20 odd mins in the 2nd half and it made things very difficult for ourselves which required some very good last ditch defending.

Once we started passing again, picking when to play it in behind etc we started to create chances again, looked much more comfortable and finally good the counter attack 2nd goal.

Billy Gilmour changes how we play. He dictates our style and is so impressive.

Everyone played well last night but I thought Adams was flawless. Lead the line, hold up play was fantastic, linked etc and took his goal well.

I think Gilmour helps every player in the team to play better. He is always available and creates time and space for other players. He could turn out to be as good, if not better, than Billy Bremner.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Really was the worst draw any country has had ever.

World Cup Winner 06 Italy ✅

World Cup Finalist 06 France ✅

World Cup Quater Finalist 06 Ukraine ✅

Unbelievably bad draw. Let’s pray we don’t get stitched up again in the playoff draw.

J

Absolutely phenomenal. Remember having to pinch myself mid way through second half that this was Scotland we were watching. The biggest improvement is our composure on the ball - lost count the number of times we played the ball out of trouble with quick, slick one touch passing and in most cases launched us into a blistering counter attack. I don't recall the Ukraine game as much as others (might have been the drink), but I genuinely don't remember watching Scotland put in  a top-level performance like that since I started going to games around 1999. Sure, there's been good results in there, but the manner of that performance is unmatched IMO. 

Too many great performances to mention but for me, McGinn and Gilmour stand out for different reasons. By some distance McGinn was my man of the match - the guy is an absolute machine and while he normally provides the muscle and power in midfield, his distribution last night was outstanding. Anytime he broke out with the ball, we'd counter attack with purpose and pace or he'd pull off an inch perfect diagonal ball - on another day, Adams and Armstrong could have added another two goals thanks to McGinn's play.

In a more fundamental way though, I don't think it's any coincidence that we seem to elevated our performances to another level since Gilmour started against England. Bizarre to think that the Euros were only 6 months ago, where IMO, we put in a couple of really flat, nervous performances against Czechs and Croatia. We now look like a completely different team because Gilmour dictates how we play. Coming short, showing for the ball, laying it off, keeping the ball moving, bringing every player into game, drawing opposition players in, creating space, releasing his teammates, the list goes on. There's been modest squad rotation since the summer, with supposedly second string players coming in, yet we look twice the team we did before. I think we've all long knew we needed a genuine ball player in midfield, a World Class talent that could help us take a step in the right direction, but I'm still shocked at seeing first hand how such a brilliant player can fundamentally change how the players around them perform. By getting Gilmour in this team, it genuinely feels like McGinn, McGregor, Robertson, Tierney, Cooper, Adams, every other player have become better players too. 

Recent games have also been a bit more special as have started taking my two boys to the games and they are absolutely obsessed. We missed the Israel game and was genuinely gutted I didnt get them along for them to sample what a big Hampden night is like. We went along last night and just hoped they would see us score one goal and be able to celebrate, never thinking we'd celebrate two and keep a clean sheet. Biggest problem now is trying to temper their expectations and help them understand it's not always like this!

As I said above, been going to games steadily since 1999 and bar some brief spells with Smith and McLeish, it's been a shite 22 years. Really shite. Hope we can maintain this for a bit yet because I think we all deserve it. 

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think Gilmour helps every player in the team to play better. He is always available and creates time and space for other players. He could turn out to be as good, if not better, than Billy Bremner.

Saw this last night:-

Scotland results with Gilmour in the side:

Played 10, won 7, drawn 2, lost 1

Scotland last 10 results without Gilmour:

Played 10, won 3, drawn 3, lost 4

I will add though I feared the worst when McLean replaced Gilmour, but fair play to Kenny he was solid and started the move for the second goal with a great tackle.

8 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

World Cup Winner 06 Italy ✅

World Cup Finalist 06 France ✅

World Cup Quater Finalist 06 Ukraine ✅

Unbelievably bad draw. Let’s pray we don’t get stitched up again in the playoff draw.

J

Georgia away ; 2 boys just back from their paper round ………

17 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Absolutely phenomenal. Remember having to pinch myself mid way through second half that this was Scotland we were watching. The biggest improvement is our composure on the ball - lost count the number of times we played the ball out of trouble with quick, slick one touch passing and in most cases launched us into a blistering counter attack. I don't recall the Ukraine game as much as others (might have been the drink), but I genuinely don't remember watching Scotland put in  a top-level performance like that since I started going to games around 1999. Sure, there's been good results in there, but the manner of that performance is unmatched IMO. 

Too many great performances to mention but for me, McGinn and Gilmour stand out for different reasons. By some distance McGinn was my man of the match - the guy is an absolute machine and while he normally provides the muscle and power in midfield, his distribution last night was outstanding. Anytime he broke out with the ball, we'd counter attack with purpose and pace or he'd pull off an inch perfect diagonal ball - on another day, Adams and Armstrong could have added another two goals thanks to McGinn's play.

In a more fundamental way though, I don't think it's any coincidence that we seem to elevated our performances to another level since Gilmour started against England. Bizarre to think that the Euros were only 6 months ago, where IMO, we put in a couple of really flat, nervous performances against Czechs and Croatia. We now look like a completely different team because Gilmour dictates how we play. Coming short, showing for the ball, laying it off, keeping the ball moving, bringing every player into game, drawing opposition players in, creating space, releasing his teammates, the list goes on. There's been modest squad rotation since the summer, with supposedly second string players coming in, yet we look twice the team we did before. I think we've all long knew we needed a genuine ball player in midfield, a World Class talent that could help us take a step in the right direction, but I'm still shocked at seeing first hand how such a brilliant player can fundamentally change how the players around them perform. By getting Gilmour in this team, it genuinely feels like McGinn, McGregor, Robertson, Tierney, Cooper, Adams, every other player have become better players too. 

Recent games have also been a bit more special as have started taking my two boys to the games and they are absolutely obsessed. We missed the Israel game and was genuinely gutted I didnt get them along for them to sample what a big Hampden night is like. We went along last night and just hoped they would see us score one goal and be able to celebrate, never thinking we'd celebrate two and keep a clean sheet. Biggest problem now is trying to temper their expectations and help them understand it's not always like this!

As I said above, been going to games steadily since 1999 and bar some brief spells with Smith and McLeish, it's been a shite 22 years. Really shite. Hope we can maintain this for a bit yet because I think we all deserve it. 

Great post. Your pain , pride , and passion are palpable 😊

19 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Brilliant post.

I agree. And the maturity of Gilmour is terrifying. Just a few months ago he was still a teenager and last night he was bossing the game and geeing up and ticking off far more experienced players for wayward pass. He is like a Rolls Royce with the ball - so comfortable and looks like he has all the time in the world. If he can get an eye for goal then it would enhance him even more but even without it he is gold dust for us.

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

What a fantastic night and what a performance. I actually said out loud ‘ is this Scotland’. Haven’t  seen such consistent , fluid , exciting football for a long time. The quality of the opposition made it extra special. We actually made them look mediocre. 
Crowd were fantastic as were the away support. Great to see so many kids as well,  they must have been buzzing. 

We do have some roasters in our support though. Guy behind me moaning at Che Adams saying he ‘wouldnae get a game in his subbuteo  team’. 5 minutes later he has the ball in the net. 

Talking about roasters, 3 or 4 were sitting behind me, they thought they were on Clarke’s coaching team, I felt like asking them where they would be sitting for the next game to make sure I was nowhere near them

4 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Talking about roasters, 3 or 4 were sitting behind me, they thought they were on Clarke’s coaching team, I felt like asking them where they would be sitting for the next game to make sure I was nowhere near them

Like the roasters that came into the West Stand screaming and shouting just as the minute's silence for Auld and Smith had begun. Embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

You've done it now. Scotland wins like last night are the most powerful drug known to man.

Your boys are already addicted, and all their future heartache and disappointment rests squarely on your shoulders. 😜

65c0d59e78313a17-600x338.jpg

Some brilliant posts in here after last night.

Not much more to add, but that was MAGNIFICENT. I think I might end up watching it on Wednesday afternoon again when I'm off - every single Scotland player was superb.

AND HOW GOOD IS It to not have to rely on results tonight either. Even if we'll be hoping for such, we can relatively all relax and watch Wales, Turkey, Czech Rep games and think och well, at least we are at home in March!

Just over the moon still.

Notice there's an international break in Jan and Feb - thinks CONCACAF, Asia and South America, considering how many games Europe has played in 2020 and 2021, I take it there's no friendlies then?

11 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

You've done it now. Scotland wins like last night are the most powerful drug known to man.

Your boys are already addicted, and all their future heartache and disappointment rests squarely on your shoulders. 😜

😀

It's an integral part of the Scottish psyche and a burden to be passed down from generation to generation.

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

When we are playing shite it’s annoying, but understandable, why folk have a go and suddenly become experts at the game. But there was nothing to criticise at all last night, just folk moaning for the sake of it.   

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

When we are playing shite it’s annoying, but understandable, why folk have a go and suddenly become experts at the game. But there was nothing to criticise at all last night, just folk moaning for the sake of it.   

To be fair the world is full of people who love to moan whatever the circumstance.

5 hours ago, borojock said:

Im assuming that that win will help us with fifa rankings that could move us up closer to pot 2 for the next qualifying draw for the next euros? 

I think we will jump Norway after that and be up to 37th. Which if I've counted right puts us up to 20th in Europe and into Pot 2.

I reckon if we win at least one playoff game and 2 or 3 Nations League games we'd be comfortably in Pot 2.

7 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

I think we will jump Norway after that and be up to 37th. Which if I've counted right puts us up to 20th in Europe and into Pot 2.

I reckon if we win at least one playoff game and 2 or 3 Nations League games we'd be comfortably in Pot 2.

Unless UEFA make a change the Euro 2024 qualifying pots will be decided on the final Nations League positions so we will likely need to win our NL group or at least be the best second placed team to get into pot 2. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Unless UEFA make a change the Euro 2024 qualifying pots will be decided on the final Nations League positions so we will likely need to win our NL group or at least be the best second placed team to get into pot 2. 

Ah I see.

Just looked at the seedings there for our section. As long as we avoid Sweden as 1 seeds and Serbia as 3 seeds I think we would be favourites to finish first. All the games are in June and September I see, could be some good sunny trips to be had next summer!

13 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

Ah I see.

Just looked at the seedings there for our section. As long as we avoid Sweden as 1 seeds and Serbia as 3 seeds I think we would be favourites to finish first. All the games are in June and September I see, could be some good sunny trips to be had next summer!

Iceland, Ireland and maybe Armenia would be a good group for us. 

We could be doing with avoiding Israel. If we never draw them again it will be too soon  

Last night will surely go down as one of the great victories and performances of the national team.  Beating the French in 2006 and 2007 was excellent but they were smash and grabs.  Last night, not only did we beat a top 10 international side but we did in style: passing and moving, dictating the pace of the game and creating chances.

I never really saw what the fuss was all about with John Souttar but last night he was immense.  Not just his goal, which he took well, but defensively he gave nothing away.  The fact he was playing his first international match in over three years makes it even more remarkable.

This team has ticked a heck of a lot of boxes in this campaign.

Questions have often been asked. Questions such as when will we win away against a decent side in a qualifying match? Box ticked after beating Austria in Vienna.

Can we get through tricky matches against minnows where we always drop points? Box ticked after picking up maximum points against Faroe Islands and Moldova.

Can we beat a high ranking top notch side when it matters? Box ticked after we beat Denmark last night.

Can we win in back-to-back crunch matches? Box ticked four times.

Can we find a consistent goalscorer? Box ticked twice by Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams.

There are probably more boxes ticked but you get my gist.

TV for me last night following 4 liver soaking days in Chisinau

2 or 3 times I found myself shouting things such as 'that's obscene' at the telly with regards to our fantastic play - Can't remember ever being as impressed with our ability across the board before (I was at the games previously mentioned too)

If anyone has a link to THAT counter attack in the first half I'd love to see it

Only thing missing from last night were the 75p pints from the weekend 😉