Scotland vs Denmark match thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Denmark match thread

Guest Scot1

2 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

I think we will jump Norway after that and be up to 37th. Which if I've counted right puts us up to 20th in Europe and into Pot 2.

I reckon if we win at least one playoff game and 2 or 3 Nations League games we'd be comfortably in Pot 2.

I'd have thought we'd be higher than 37th, though I've not looked into the calculations yet.

Being in pot 3 or 4 has held us back for many many years. It all but guarantees a tricky draw. It's so difficult to get out of those pots when you are matched up against the elite teams constantly. I genuinely think that we have had 2 or 3 teams in the last couple of decades that were of high enough quality to have qualified for a tournament had we not had such terrible draws. Teams in 2007 and 2015 spring to mind. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd have thought we'd be higher than 37th, though I've not looked into the calculations yet.

Being in pot 3 or 4 has held us back for many many years. It all but guarantees a tricky draw. It's so difficult to get out of those pots when you are matched up against the elite teams constantly. I genuinely think that we have had 2 or 3 teams in the last couple of decades that were of high enough quality to have qualified for a tournament had we not had such terrible draws. Teams in 2007 and 2015 spring to mind. 

Hopefully we’ll win our Nations League group and we’ll be assured of pot 2. 

The annoying thing is we’d already have been guaranteed pot 2 if we’d managed to hold on and win our group last time. We would also have had a chance (albeit it unlikely) of pot 1. 

If teams like Scotland end up in pot 1 because of the Nations League then I think UEFA would probably revert to using the world rankings for the Euros seeding pots. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Countless amount of times I've watched the highlights now, loved the performance of every single player, but fucking hell, the amount of world class passes from McGinn, out on that right wing😍

I thought I spotted that there were relatively few posts during the game (at least I only checked in occasionally), as it was so engrossing. Usually people are getting bored with the game and posting "same old shite" to pass the time.😅

20 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Countless amount of times I've watched the highlights now, loved the performance of every single player, but fucking hell, the amount of world class passes from McGinn, out on that right wing😍

I really don’t understand Dean Smith’s refusal to play McGinn in a more advanced role. Has far more effective as a more attacking player as he is where Villa have used him. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Very true. I have a feeling Farke didn’t have much of a say in that loan deal. 

Farke is a close mate of Thomas Tuchel. My guess is that he did have a say, but bonkers not playing Gilmour.

Can see Gilmour being recalled by Chelsea in January. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him at Villa as Gerrard a big fan by all accounts 

34 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Farke is a close mate of Thomas Tuchel. My guess is that he did have a say, but bonkers not playing Gilmour.

Can see Gilmour being recalled by Chelsea in January. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him at Villa as Gerrard a big fan by all accounts 

From what Farke has said it seems to me he’s not a big fan of loans in general so the whole thing seems odd to me. 

Farke isn’t an issue now so there’s no reason Gilmour can’t stay at Norwich unless Smith doesn’t fancy him. Will be interesting to see what happens. I just hope Gilmour gets a run of games between now and March because, as good as he is at the moment, he can only get better with regular game time. 

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

From what Farke has said it seems to me he’s not a big fan of loans in general so the whole thing seems odd to me. 

Farke isn’t an issue now so there’s no reason Gilmour can’t stay at Norwich unless Smith doesn’t fancy him. Will be interesting to see what happens. I just hope Gilmour gets a run of games between now and March because, as good as he is at the moment, he can only get better with regular game time. 

Gilmour wasn’t even match sharp for these games. When fully up to speed his impact will be immense. Plus we have McGinn, McGregor and McTominay. I think I need a lie down. 

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If Gilmour can play like that every time he plays for Scotland then I don't care if he plays any other games. He doesn't seem to need regular games to be able to play at that level.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If Gilmour can play like that every time he plays for Scotland then I don't care if he plays any other games. He doesn't seem to need regular games to be able to play at that level.

McFadden and Hutton both played some of their best football for Scotland when they were out of favour at their clubs. They were almost certainly exceptions to the rule, but it's proof it can and does happen.

However, I think it's inevitable Gilmour will be one of those players, like Callum McGregor, who will be getting 60 games a season at whatever team he settles at.

Edited by Tartan blood

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Fair point but imagine what he’ll be like if he’s a regular starter in the EPL. 

All the Norwich fans at my work could not understand why Farke excluded Gilmour as he did.

His refusal to play him, for whatever the reason, contributed heavily to him being punted.

I have not heard one bad word with regards to BG from any Norwich supporter in terms of application / ability.

So something wasn't right, and if Smith doesn't fix it, they're pretty much of the opinion he'll be heading back to Chelsea sharpish

What a waste.....

Edited by Redz
Spelling

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Knackered? 😉😂

😂😂😂 

It’s a possibility. The one good thing about Gilmour and Patterson not playing regularly for their clubs is they are always green when they turn up and are less likely to be injured when the internationals come around. 

I would rather they were both match sharp though. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

😂😂😂 

It’s a possibility. The one good thing about Gilmour and Patterson not playing regularly for their clubs is they are always green when they turn up and are less likely to be injured when the internationals come around. 

I would rather they were both match sharp though. 

They have both looked pretty match sharp to me so far.

McFadden was one of the best players of his era and he barely played a dozen games a season.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They have both looked pretty match sharp to me so far.

McFadden was one of the best players of his era and he barely played a dozen games a season.

That’s all fine and well but the fact is players that are not playing get rusty and rusty players make mistakes. 

Luckily both players are very good and won’t be warming the bench for much longer with any luck.