Scotland vs Denmark match thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Denmark match thread

Guest Scot1

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh tbf it was a good performance from us that wasn't reliant on luck but I didnt consider Ukraine a top tier nation despite the world cup quarter final whereas Denmark definitely are a top tier nation right now. 

Also I would say our wins against Croatia were good performances that didn't rely on luck. Not sure where they rank in terms of best performances against top tier nations in recent years but they must be up there imo. 

Were both those games dead rubbers or just the second one, no idea were I got that idea from surely not possible for first one to be. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh tbf it was a good performance from us that wasn't reliant on luck but I didnt consider Ukraine a top tier nation despite the world cup quarter final whereas Denmark definitely are a top tier nation right now. 

Also I would say our wins against Croatia were good performances that didn't rely on luck. Not sure where they rank in terms of best performances against top tier nations in recent years but they must be up there imo. 

Would not say Denmark are a top tier nation, a VERY good side, but not in that elite group.... Euro 2020 they were the team everyone wanted to do well after what happened to Eriksen, but they slumped their way through the groups stages then had a easy route to the semi's.

Its basically the fact the have washed the floor with everything put in front of them in this WC group, with exception of us, as Copenhagen in hindsight was probably a good result (especially with the 2nd half performance) 

That is why I think last night was more akin to Ukraine and Croatia.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely the two France wins and the 2003 netherlands win were the best wins since the 90s. Ukraine were not a proper top tier nation at that time. They were a level below that. 

Still a great victory though. 

Not sure where last night ranks but I do remember Italy, France & Ukraine were all ranked in the world's top 10 from that group. 

Who cares though? I'm just really tired but happy today. 😃

Edited by slasher

Did anyone notice that when Ralston came on he played at left back (albeit for just a few minutes) and did ok? We actually now have 3 players - of an almost similar quality - competing in some positions:

Patterson                                                Souttar      Hanley                   Cooper                                   Robertson

Ralston                                                   Hendry       Gallagher               McKenna

SOD                                                        McTom       Porteous                Tierney

I deliberately put them in the order of right CB, Central CB and left CB. 

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Were both those games dead rubbers or just the second one, no idea were I got that idea from surely not possible for first one to be. 

The second 1 defo was, it was our last game, can't remember if the other was. That is probably why we don't remember them as fondly as great wins. 

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Would not say Denmark are a top tier nation, a VERY good side, but not in that elite group.... Euro 2020 they were the team everyone wanted to do well after what happened to Eriksen, but they slumped their way through the groups stages then had a easy route to the semi's.

Its basically the fact the have washed the floor with everything put in front of them in this WC group, with exception of us, as Copenhagen in hindsight was probably a good result (especially with the 2nd half performance) 

That is why I think last night was more akin to Ukraine and Croatia.

I would class denmark as a top tier nation, fair enough they are not always historically top tier nation but they definitely are right now. 

Edited by mccaughey85

41 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty sure both Croatia wins were dead rubbers. IIRC we were the first team in the world to be knocked out of qualifying for Brazil 2014.

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm pretty certain both games were dead rubbers.  I didn't watch the first game as I was at a friends birthday gathering and remember not being bothered about missing it, until I saw the final score lol!  Also as someone mentioned earlier, we might have been the first team in the world not able to qualify.

The final table ended up looking a bit more respectable for us after those two wins but in reality we were out of it really early on.

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He is. I was crapping myself hoping he wouldn't get booked but the ref actually was brilliant.

I think the refs may have been told to go easy , Denmark had a couple of fouls on us that on another day would have been bookings. 

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Crowd were fantastic as were the away support. Great to see so many kids as well,  they must have been buzzing. 

Agreed. The Danes seemed like a great bunch and were happy to party along, they have already qualified I suppose.

When our second went in I turned round in the mayhem and there was a wee boy sitting with a face like fizz. He was probably just terrified, it must've been like being next to a rocket launch!

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Agreed. The Danes seemed like a great bunch and were happy to party along, they have already qualified I suppose.

When our second went in I turned round in the mayhem and there was a wee boy sitting with a face like fizz. He was probably just terrified, it must've been like being next to a rocket launch!

Yes, it was a good atmosphere for everyone. Reminded me of the Hibs/St Mirren game a few seasons ago, final game when Hibs were already promoted to the Premiership and we needed a draw or better to avoid being relegated from the Championship  .  Everyone was happy at the end 😊

We were sitting at the end of a row in C1 last night , right at the goal line , there was a wee boy in the row  in front of us. When  Adams scored he just left his dad and went charging down the steps with about 50 big guys. I thought he was going to get crushed in the stampede 😧😁

56 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Was in the ivory after the game and a big squad of them in. 

Great lads. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Pretty sure both Croatia wins were dead rubbers. IIRC we were the first team in the world to be knocked out of qualifying for Brazil 2014.

Yes, both Croatia games were after we were out. We were out after losing away to Serbia.

We were the first European team to be knocked out. Other teams were out before we even kicked a baw.

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's what I thought at the time as well. Thank fuk naebody listens to me. 🤣

I'll third that. 

As soon as the thought passed my mind, he killed the ball out the air with a superb touch. And I thought...maybe not! 

What a shift he put in. Forget the goal, the hold up play etc was fantastic. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

No doubt in my mind, that was the best performance and result since that Mo Johnson double effectively knocked France out of the WC in 1989.

Especially the first half. At some points during that first half I thought we were as good as Spain were at their peak. And aye, I have sobered up. 🤣

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

What a fantastic night and what a performance. I actually said out loud ‘ is this Scotland’. Haven’t  seen such consistent , fluid , exciting football for a long time. The quality of the opposition made it extra special. We actually made them look mediocre. 
Crowd were fantastic as were the away support. Great to see so many kids as well,  they must have been buzzing. 

We do have some roasters in our support though. Guy behind me moaning at Che Adams saying he ‘wouldnae get a game in his subbuteo  team’. 5 minutes later he has the ball in the net. 

Ach, if I'd known that was you I'd have said hello. 

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes, both Croatia games were after we were out. We were out after losing away to Serbia.

We were the first European team to be knocked out. Other teams were out before we even kicked a baw.

Ah right not as bad as I thought then. I'll cut Levein some slack 😜

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yet to see the game as at work ; only caught it on the bbc text update

am only speculating it was our best “ measured “ or controlled perfomance against a heavy hitter since ukraine umder mcleish ?

both france matches obvs great wins but in the jammy category …

Up until last night I think that Ukraine game was the best this century, but I think last night was better. Some of the passing and movement was world class. I never thought I would see a Scotland team with such good ball control, passing and movement off the ball as they gave us last night. I just didn't think enough of our players had the skill level to do it. A lot of them proved me wrong last night.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We might get Sweden in the final? 

😂😂

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ach, if I'd known that was you I'd have said hello. 

😂😂

Thats 3 times you have made me laugh this week. You should get pissed more often. He must have been about your age right enough  😁

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Up until last night I think that Ukraine game was the best this century, but I think last night was better. Some of the passing and movement was world class. I never thought I would see a Scotland team with such good ball control, passing and movement off the ball as they gave us last night. I just didn't think enough of our players had the skill level to do it. A lot of them proved me wrong last night.

I agree, till now the Ukraine game has been the best in the last 20 years. As others have said we got a bit lucky in the games against France. But last night was phenomenal, I thought my heart was going to burst.