Scotland vs Denmark match thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Denmark match thread

Guest Scot1

56 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yet to see the game as at work ; only caught it on the bbc text update

am only speculating it was our best “ measured “ or controlled perfomance against a heavy hitter since ukraine umder mcleish ?

both france matches obvs great wins but in the jammy category …

Probably the best since France at Hampden in 1989 or even Spain in 1984. They absolutely battered Denmark in the first half and could have scored 4 with a bit of luck. One to savour… 👍

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, neilser said:

Probably the best since France at Hampden in 1989 or even Spain in 1984. They absolutely battered Denmark in the first half and could have scored 4 with a bit of luck. One to savour… 👍

Cheers min

lucky enough to be at both of those

hoping its on you tube by time i get home …

9 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

How does it compare with Ukraine 3–1 at hampden ?

Denmark are a genuine top tier nation right now and I don't think Ukraine was one at that time although they were quite good.

I would say beating Denmark tonight was a bigger achievement. Only the 2 France wins and our win against netherlands in 2003 compare with tonight in the last 20 years. 

Those three wins had a lot of luck involved as well whereas tonight we were far from lucky. 

Only negative is that Denmark were missing quite a few of their best players, but then so were we. 

It's up there with our best results in modern times. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Denmark are a genuine top tier nation right now and I don't think Ukraine was one at that time although they were quite good.

I would say beating Denmark tonight was a bigger achievement. Only the 2 France wins and our win against netherlands in 2003 compare with tonight in the last 20 years. 

Those three wins had a lot of luck involved as well whereas tonight we were far from lucky. 

Only negative is that Denmark were missing quite a few of their best players, but then so were we. 

It's up there with our best results in modern times. 

Thanks

i had thought of holland 1-0 gane too ; again like french ones it a game you could of played 10 times ; and 9 times would be a 2-0 loss ..

4 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Thanks

i had thought of holland 1-0 gane too ; again like french ones it a game you could of played 10 times ; and 9 times would be a 2-0 loss ..

Beating croatia twice in 2013 was a big achievement although the second win meant very little at the time because it was our last game and we had fukked our chances of qualifying long before that. 

Our group that campaign was a nightmare looking back now.

Belguim, Croatia, Serbia, Wales, Macedonia. 

The passing exchange in the first half between McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn and Christie that set up the switch ball to Robertson and a counter attack might have been the best football I’ve ever seen from Scotland.

It was like a marker of a new era of incredibly talented technical Scottish players with one move and something I’m not sure I thought I’d ever see.

Loved everything about tonight. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Beating croatia twice in 2013 was a big achievement although the second win meant very little at the time because it was our last game and we had fukked our chances of qualifying long before that. 

Our group that campaign was a nightmare looking back now.

Belguim, Croatia, Serbia, Wales, Macedonia. 

Yep, and we were the first country in the world for it to become mathematicaly to qualify fo that world  cup. That might be the time one or two of us started to dislike all things Welsh 

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Up until last night I would say the Ukraine game was the best since the 90s. They were a very good team and we had to beat them to keep qualification alive. We did it with panache! 

Surely the two France wins and the 2003 netherlands win were the best wins since the 90s. Ukraine were not a proper top tier nation at that time. They were a level below that. 

Still a great victory though. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely the two France wins and the 2003 netherlands win were the best wins since the 90s. Ukraine were not a proper top tier nation at that time. They were a level below that. 

Still a great victory though. 

Two French games it was backs to the walls most the time, and to an extent same with the Netherlands, Ukraine on the other hand was one of those performances were we just looked on cruise control (also, they had reached the Quarter Finals of the World Cup just a year earlier).

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Two French games it was backs to the walls most the time, and to an extent same with the Netherlands, Ukraine on the other hand was one of those performances were we just looked on cruise control (also, they had reached the Quarter Finals of the World Cup just a year earlier).

Exactly the way I saw it, those 3 games we deserved nothing. They were the sort of upsets that happen in all realms of football from time to time. 

I remember the Dutch after our win and the confidence they had in turning it over in the second leg was akin to Rangers losing to East Fife. 

Last night we were the better team and if we keep that up we have a real chance. 

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yeh tbf it was a good performance from us that wasn't reliant on luck but I didnt consider Ukraine a top tier nation despite the world cup quarter final whereas Denmark definitely are a top tier nation right now. 

Also I would say our wins against Croatia were good performances that didn't rely on luck. Not sure where they rank in terms of best performances against top tier nations in recent years but they must be up there imo. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Exactly the way I saw it, those 3 games we deserved nothing. They were the sort of upsets that happen in all realms of football from time to time. 

I remember the Dutch after our win and the confidence they had in turning it over in the second leg was akin to Rangers losing to East Fife. 

Last night we were the better team and if we keep that up we have a real chance. 

Its a rarity that we beat a top tier nation without a huge amount of luck. I would say beating Croatia twice and Denmark last night are the only times I can remember in the last 20 years where we have beaten a top tier nation and actually deserved it overall.