Tony Ralston - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tony Ralston

ProudScot

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

The rules should be changed anyway. The SFA should lodge a complaint with UEFA. 

We could end up with several players being suspended after playing 10 games and be drawn against a team in the playoffs which has only played 8 games. How is that fair? 

That's a good point, I'd forgotten about the different group sizes.  The SFA are far too meek to say fuck all though

Edited by todd
Spelling

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I agree with you, but sure Clarke has done that before.

I agree with you, I'm sure I've seen players called up at the last moment and end up starting (for different Scotland managers) in recent years.   Sorry @Texas Pete I can't remember which.

Did they fancy something in training, or did they think they should have went for them in the first place?   Anyway, has not happened this time yet.

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We could end up with several players being suspended after playing 10 games and be drawn against a team in the playoffs which has only played 8 games. How is that fair? 

I agree, the best way to rectify it would be not to carry forward bookings against the Pot 6 teams into the play-offs. Although in our case this time Patterson on Friday was the only player booked in our two games v Moldova. 

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I agree, the best way to rectify it would be not to carry forward bookings against the Pot 6 teams into the play-offs. Although in our case this time Patterson on Friday was the only player booked in our two games v Moldova. 

Yeah that would be a good solution. Wouldn’t help us much but at least it would be fair. 

I’d prefer it if yellow cards were wiped  altogether after the group stage. I’m sure that has happened in the past although I could be wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Best way is for players not to get booked in the first place.

The rules are known beforehand.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

That is true but ffs 2 bookings and you miss the next match? That's fuckin ridiculous, I  think they're ultimately trying to make 'soccer ball' an absolute non contact sport!

4 minutes ago, jailender said:

Exactly. The rules were set out, and all the teams knew how the system worked. 

But like Texas Pete said, did they think to factor in the fact that some countries have to play 10 games to get to the playoffs whereas others only have to play 8?

50 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah that would be a good solution. Wouldn’t help us much but at least it would be fair. 

I’d prefer it if yellow cards were wiped  altogether after the group stage. I’m sure that has happened in the past although I could be wrong. 

I'm sure that has happened in the past. But maybe that's largely dependent on who is in the playoffs 

1 minute ago, todd said:

That is true but ffs 2 bookings and you miss the next match? That's fuckin ridiculous, I  think they're ultimately trying to make 'soccer ball' an absolute non contact sport!

It isn't ridiculous.

It's the rules - and rules that we have benefitted from in this group.

If we don't like it - then don't pick up cheap cards like Patterson did on Friday.

Sorry - it really is that simple.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

It isn't ridiculous.

It's the rules - and rules that we have benefitted from in this group.

If we don't like it - then don't pick up cheap cards like Patterson did on Friday.

Sorry - it really is that simple.

Is it though? Some countries have to play 10 games some have to play 8, sorry but it really isn't that simple you condescending ##

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Absolutely no condescension expressed or intended.

Any perceived condescension is down to your interpretation.

"Sorry- it really is that simple" seems pretty condescending to me. Anyway, so you disagree that the game ratio is unfair with regards to bookings? Also how have we benefited from this rule?

1 minute ago, todd said:

"Sorry- it really is that simple" seems pretty condescending to me. Anyway, so you disagree that the game ratio is unfair with regards to bookings? Also how have we benefited from this rule?

This thread's about Anthony Ralston and not about interpretation of rules.

If you have a problem with being pointed to the rules - which are clear - then that's your issue.

We have benefited - and also been punished - from the rules against Israel and Moldova. Look it up for yourself.

I've no issue with the 10 v 8 games thing - that's up to us to deal with and the best way to deal with it is don't pick up yellow cards.

Back to Anthony Ralston - delighted for him, and although he may not get game time this week, I hope his call-up gives an additional boost to his progress.

Nothing condescending in that - I hope?

Either way - good to talk to you tonight, and hopefully we are smiling after a positive result tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

This thread's about Anthony Ralston and not about interpretation of rules.

If you have a problem with being pointed to the rules - which are clear - then that's your issue.

We have benefited - and also been punished - from the rules against Israel and Moldova. Look it up for yourself.

I've no issue with the 10 v 8 games thing - that's up to us to deal with and the best way to deal with it is don't pick up yellow cards.

Back to Anthony Ralston - delighted for him, and although he may not get game time this week, I hope his call-up gives an additional boost to his progress.

Nothing condescending in that - I hope?

Either way - good to talk to you tonight, and hopefully we are smiling after a positive result tomorrow.

Fair enough mate  wasn't my intention to get into a slanging match, hey, we're both on the same side here, let's get into these tomorrow 👍

5 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

It was good to see Ralston come on and get capped. I think he has improved a lot this year, so he was well worth is call up. Hopefully he can keep firing on at club level and be in the squad for the playoffs.

It will be good to see if he kicks on after this hopefully it gives him confidence and hunger in his progression 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

He is third choice behind Patterson and o donnel.  Will only get in if either of them are injured or form drops significantly.

Don’t think he will be for long if he keeps his form up. 

He’s been one of the best players in the league this season & speaking of current form, if O’Donnell keeps his up then he won’t be in the Motherwell team soon 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Don’t think he will be for long if he keeps his form up. 

He’s been one of the best players in the league this season & speaking of current form, if O’Donnell keeps his up then he won’t be in the Motherwell team soon 

yeah, I agree.  March is a while away, lots can happen before then.

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

It will be good to see if he kicks on after this hopefully it gives him confidence and hunger in his progression 

4 months of regular first team football could be huge for him 

What i like about him is from interviews ive read it appears hes desperate to be involved in the squad and really enjoys it when in and about it which is great to see. A great age, 22 i think, playing under good manager and at a decent level could be a good squad player for us - 9 years younger than O'Donnell so would further bring down the average age which i think is huge 

I think a massive problem for us was when Berti took over he had a huge amount of turnover and a load of players that were coming to the end of their career if we can have succession plans in place so the older players are being phased out for younger players that will help us in creating some long term stability and consistency over the long term