Super John McGinn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Super John McGinn

Caledonian Craig

As the song goes we've got super John McGinn and I am struggling to think of a better midfielder we have had in this millennium. He offers so much to the team with his link-up play which we saw last night, his ball winning skills and on top of that his goal scoring record. He ticks all the boxes.

Okay in this millennium we have had the likes of Barry Ferguson, Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher but he far outdoes them in the goal scoring department. He is probably the most talismanic player we have had since James McFadden too.

He has just turned 27 so he still has a good few years ahead of him and at the current rate he will end up one of our most capped players ever and perhaps one of our highest goalscorers.

Take a bow Super John McGinn.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As the song goes we've got super John McGinn and I am struggling to think of a better midfielder we have had in this millennium. He offers so much to the team with his link-up play which we saw last night, his ball winning skills and on top of that his goal scoring record. He ticks all the boxes.

Okay in this millennium we have had the likes of Barry Ferguson, Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher but he far outdoes them in the goal scoring department. He is probably the most talismanic player we have had since James McFadden too.

He has just turned 27 so he still has a good few years ahead of him and at the current rate he will end up one of our most capped players ever and perhaps one of our highest goalscorers.

Take a bow Super John McGinn.

If I'm not mistaken, he's only 2 goals away from being in the top 10 goalscorers of all time. 

I think in just about any other generation, David Turnbull would have broken into the team by now. But you just can't drop McGinn. I don't think he would even accept a rest. The only chance anyone has of getting in ahead of him is if he gets injured. *god forbid*. 

Is he the first name on the teamsheet? I think so.

Nobody's mentioned his Dalglish-esqe arse!   Even their goalie got within range of it and fell over; a couple of defenders disintegrated in contact.   He's our Super-Weeble!

OK, got carried away.   Great strength, balance and composure in the challenge.

Edited by Grim Jim

15 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Nobody's mentioned his Dalglish-esqe arse!   Even their goalie got within range of it and fell over; a couple of defenders disintegrated in contact.   He's our Super-Weeble!

Lol how much would it cost for him to insure his arse?

Must be a good few million at least. 

17 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

McCoist did 

McGinn is one of those players I'm always pleased to see in the team. As others have said his energy and attitude are great. You always think as long as he's in the team there's always a chance of a goal coming from something. 

15 minutes ago, exile said:

McGinn is one of those players I'm always pleased to see in the team. As others have said his energy and attitude are great. You always think as long as he's in the team there's always a chance of a goal coming from something. 

He has many attributes. Has a good eye for a pass, can score all types of goals, great at link-up play and holding the ball up as well as great stamina. A real all-rounder and of great importance to us. Perhaps his absence in Copenhagen held us back.

Jeez he just keeps getting better and better. He glided around that pitch as if he owned it. Body swerves and dummies wrong-footing top notch players, delicious pinpoint cross, great hold up play and great ball carrying to get us up the pitch. I have not seen a better Scotland midfielder in all my time going to Hampden.

I had McGinniesta as MOTM last night.  I thought he was absolutely brilliant.  Some of his passing was out of this world.  That ball to the back post for Adams to set up Armstrong for what would've been a sensational third... wow!  Only world class defending kept the score down.  Surely can't be long until he's at a bigger club.

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I had McGinniesta as MOTM last night.  I thought he was absolutely brilliant.  Some of his passing was out of this world.  That ball to the back post for Adams to set up Armstrong for what would've been a sensational third... wow!  Only world class defending kept the score down.  Surely can't be long until he's at a bigger club.

Totally agree.

Also he has a great engine on him and has the knack of making something out of nothing. Cannot praise him highly enough.

Good again today. Great to see one of our creative people doing just that. 
had wondered if the lack of Scotland matches before the playoffs was a negative, but now just want the team core and wider squad to have good club football the next quarter year. 

9 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Good again today. Great to see one of our creative people doing just that. 
had wondered if the lack of Scotland matches before the playoffs was a negative, but now just want the team core and wider squad to have good club football the next quarter year. 

Exactly. I'd be happy if no new players emerged but our core group just continued on as they are. I'm sure they are all in constant contact with each other, keeping the camaraderie going. 

Saying that, I think if Villa benched McGinn for the next 4 months, he'd still be the first name on our teamsheet. He's now on a par with McFadden. When he pulls on a Scotland shirt, he does something special.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, TDYER63 said:

His attitude and work ethic alone would earn him a place in the team. When Scott Brown retired I felt we missed him badly. McGinn has filled that void and more. 

McGinn is in a totally different class and stratosphere to Scott Brown. Brown was not the goal threat of McGinn, lacked the craft and creativity of McGinn and McGinn is just better in every department.