Craig Gordon - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Craig Gordon

vanderark14

2 hours ago, borojock said:

I just wish Gordon was 10 years younger - my big fear for last few years is we dont have any real great keepers coming through 

Gordon 38, Marshall i think 36 and McLoughlin at 34 - then you have Clarke and Kelly who are ok at domestic level but a few levels below those 3

I know a few people say McCrorie but needs first team football at a decent level for a few years before you could cast judgement on him 

Clarke and Kelly are both at an age were they could become ok international keepers but it is a bit of a worry when compared with the ages Leighton, Goram,Marshall and Gordon when they started getting caps.

Any one remember who our number one's were before the leighton Goram period?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke and Kelly are both at an age were they could become ok international keepers but it is a bit of a worry when compared with the ages Leighton, Goram,Marshall and Gordon when they started getting caps.

Alan Rough

46 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Alan Rough, George Wood, Billy Thomson etc.  Bobby Clark and Jim Blyth were back up to Rough in Argentina.

With the exception of a few years at the end of the 90s and beginning of the 21st century, we’ve basically only had 5 or possibly six regular goalkeepers since the middle of the 1970s - Rough, Leighton, Goram, then Leighton again, a gap, then Gordon/McGregor, Marshall to a lesser extent and now back to Gordon.

Probably our most consistently strong position over that period.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Very much according to Wiki. thought there was decades between them.

Was still wearing shorts when Rough started out and my kids were going to school when Leighton was still about....................................how time flys.

Although lodged in different parts of the brain, I suppose Alan Rough was goalie in Spain 82 (when Leighton was in squad), and by 83 Aberdeen were in their heyday, with Leighton in the ascendancy.

9 hours ago, aaid said:

With the exception of a few years at the end of the 90s and beginning of the 21st century, we’ve basically only had 5 or possibly six regular goalkeepers since the middle of the 1970s - Rough, Leighton, Goram, then Leighton again, a gap, then Gordon/McGregor, Marshall to a lesser extent and now back to Gordon.

Probably our most consistently strong position over that period.

Neil Sullivan?

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Neil Sullivan?

i hadn’t forgotten about him, but if he hadn’t fallen out of favour at Tottenham then maybe he’d have filled the gap between Leighton and Gordon.

My point is that other than that period we had very good keepers who had very long international careers.

22 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not too worried, I think McGlaughlin and McCrorie will both be good keepers should anything happen to Gordon. McCrorie may be the long term successor or it may be one of the even younger ones. 

I think Gordon is now playing the best football of his career for whatever reason and we have centre halves and Gilmour/McGregor who can deal with the ball should it arrive unexpectedly. 

23 hours ago, borojock said:

I just wish Gordon was 10 years younger - my big fear for last few years is we dont have any real great keepers coming through 

Gordon 38, Marshall i think 36 and McLoughlin at 34 - then you have Clarke and Kelly who are ok at domestic level but a few levels below those 3

I know a few people say McCrorie but needs first team football at a decent level for a few years before you could cast judgement on him 

add McLaughlin at Rangers to these two and we have more goalies than you can shake a stick at

On 11/18/2021 at 7:23 AM, killiefaetheferry said:

Had to check but quite a few from 1-3 caps brigade: Bell, Marshall, Alexander, Bain and Gilks. Interesting looking back.

Neil Alexander was decent. He was unlucky that he was around the same time as McGregor and Gordon were flying and we had Marshall too. 

I feel even in our dark days from 98 to 2021 we have had decent keepers, many of the name so mentioned above were competent.  I think a keeper is our problem area right now, Gordon playing at his age is great but I don't have confidence YET in the next batch.   

31 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I feel even in our dark days from 98 to 2021 we have had decent keepers, many of the name so mentioned above were competent.  I think a keeper is our problem area right now, Gordon playing at his age is great but I don't have confidence YET in the next batch.   

Haven’t seen or heard of this youth goalie at Celtic ?!? 
Rory Mahady, I believe he went to Celtic as a 7year old from Burntisland Shipyard. 
I’m assuming he’s Scottish and has played in Victory Shield but that’s not to say he’s ours…… 

Manchester City have kept a 'very close eye' on Celtic talent, Rory Mahady, with the Blues sending scouts to watch him on 'several occasions' 

Gordon has been unbelievable of late. You wouldn't dream of putting Marshall in right now, yet strange Gordon was nowhere to be seen a year ago for us.

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but is it not since he divorced his wife and married a younger, model type that his career seems to be flying again at the ripe old age of 39 in 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Not to go all conspiracy theory, but is it not since he divorced his wife and married a younger, model type that his career seems to be flying again at the ripe old age of 39 in 4 weeks.

I think there's a lesson there for us all lads. 

There's still hope of us playing for Scotland

13 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Gordon has been unbelievable of late. You wouldn't dream of putting Marshall in right now, yet strange Gordon was nowhere to be seen a year ago for us.

Tbf his career has gone well since he got his chance with celtic. He might of got slagged by alot of the celtic support but he was part of a successful celtic side and he made lots of great saves for them. I think rodgers wanted a goalie who could play out from the back which Gordon isn't very good at. 

His form for hearts and Scotland has been pretty good recently and I reckon we should try and persuade him to stay on til the next euros.