Moldova v Scotland game thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moldova v Scotland game thread

gkm_vancouver

Just want to mention Kieran Tierney . Thought he was superb last night.  His commitment has been questioned in the past , he has hardly kicked a ball for his club in the last few weeks but turned up for international duty and played the full 90 plus minutes and put in a great performance 

Edited by noctonjock

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Just want to mention Kieran Tierney . Thought he was superb last night.  His commitment has been questioned in the past , he has hardly kicked a ball for his club in the last few weeks but turned up for international duty and played the full 90 plus minutes and put in a great performance 

I agree. Some shift he put in considering he's returning from injury. Hope he recovers in time for Monday and can hopefully do the same again against the Danes.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Might be controversial but I think our midfield has better balance without Mctominay and I actually think Hendry is better than Mctominay in that rcb role. 

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Without a shadow of a doubt - in my opinion.

Mctominay hasn't had enough chances with us in a more advanced midfield role to make that judgement.

A centre half being better than a midfielder at centre half is hardly controversial 

Think we need another body in central midfield, it’s a big area to be covered by 2 players, better teams will exploit the gaps/space. I’m hoping Clarke goes with McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor against Denmark 

51 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Think we need another body in central midfield, it’s a big area to be covered by 2 players, better teams will exploit the gaps/space. I’m hoping Clarke goes with McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor against Denmark 

I'd agree with this and what a great situation to have regards players to come in.

Last nights team like a 3421 was very well se up. And loads of options if injuries or bookings. Christie or Turnbull for Armstrong. Dykes for Adam's.hanley for any defenders etc etc. Plus players not in squad like ralston hickey jack. Excitement keeps building and monday night is going to be amazing.

Moldova were pretty shit , if either team was clinical the scoreline would have been about 1-6. We will not be given so much space by better teams and as others have said we really need to do better at corners. There is still a fair bit to be done if we are to be seriously competing at the next level. 

But I am really encouraged with our consistency at getting results from teams we really should be beating. I had serious concerns about Steve Clarke at one point but I have to say I have been proven wrong. I could never have seen us topping this group anyway,  and thought Austria would be second. Getting the monkey off our back with Israel is a big plus too.
Its the first time in a while I am looking forward to Hampden on a Monday night. 

6 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Might be controversial but I think our midfield has better balance without Mctominay and I actually think Hendry is better than Mctominay in that rcb role. 

I agree. McTominay is now our utility man who can fit into a number of different positions when somebody else isn't available. A bit like Christian Dailly used to do. He's obviously not quite as good as Christian yet but in time he will probably be better than him.

Moldova were the worst team in the group (the table doesn't lie) although you could argue the Faroes were easier to beat at Hampden compared to Moldova, but last night was one of the best performances I've seen from us in a long, long time. Moldova are awful, lets make no bones about it, and as someone said if we had a goalscorer it might have ended up 2-6 or so!

Even at 0-0, edging closer to HT, the difference to the Faroese away game was night and day. We genuinely looked like scoring and even though Gordon made an excellent save from their captain, I thought we would win the game.

Cannot fault anyone in a Scotland shirt. Patterson was very good again, the penalty wasn't great, but cannot fault him at all, surely our starting RB from now on. ''Jack Hendry is the worst player I've ever seen in a Celtic shirt,'' said a friend of mine who apparently knows feck all about football ; he was excellent again and slowly outwith Robbo and KT, Hendry and Hanley are my definite starters every time!

Armstrong is a frustrating player. He's very smart, and gets in to some great positions, passes he just squanders far too many good opportunities e.g his corner taking was appalling yesterday, yet cannot fault him for making runs and getting in to good positions, I wouldn't start him, but he's an excellent squad member to have.

Delighted that Adams scored, and Patterson too - hink he scored a screamer for Rangers in Europe too, didn't he? If we could find a RB /LB who could pop in a goal or five would be unbelievable. As excellent as Robertson is, his shot taking is very poor - he seems just to blast it usually at the keeper.

Rambling on, but very little to complain about last night. Defence pretty sound overall yet, we are prone to 1-2 scares a game, and fortunately it was Moldova, and again, we weren't playing world beaters and if you want to go to Qatar then you really need to come here and win, and we did! Midfield to attack looked very promising, and exciting even. We have some pacey players in Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, Adams and potentially J. Brown.

Concern is goals, maybe it'll come, maybe it won't ; but we are slowly becoming a not bad football team. If I were to judge over the last two years, we probably are a team (like Finland, Wales etc) who are worthy of being on the edge of making WCs. A lot will depend on the draw, etc, but we have nothing to fear even if we don't get a top seed - these 1 leg 120 min/pens games I think favour us and smaller nations ; we all ken the Holland 6-1 agg loss, so even if we fall short on Monday of securing a seeding, I wouldn't fear a trip to anyone really, yes it would make it harder, but we seen what we did in Serbia and at Wembley.

On to Monday, overall it looks the Faroes (so far) are the team to have pushed Denmark the most. They needed a 86th min winner in Torshavn like we did, and the Faroese were the first to score against them. Let's hope the Danes lose another record on Monday e.g dropping pts for the first time in the group. Even with suspensions, Qatar secured, I'm sure they will want to get a 100% record, when did a 'smaller' nation do that in qualifying? By smaller, I mean population, Denmark are a great side, but the only teams I recall doing that are nations with big populations - France, Germany, Spain and England - of late.

Anyhoos on to Monday, we can certainly get a point.

15 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Moldova were the worst team in the group (the table doesn't lie) although you could argue the Faroes were easier to beat at Hampden compared to Moldova, but last night was one of the best performances I've seen from us in a long, long time. Moldova are awful, lets make no bones about it, and as someone said if we had a goalscorer it might have ended up 2-6 or so!

Even at 0-0, edging closer to HT, the difference to the Faroese away game was night and day. We genuinely looked like scoring and even though Gordon made an excellent save from their captain, I thought we would win the game.

Cannot fault anyone in a Scotland shirt. Patterson was very good again, the penalty wasn't great, but cannot fault him at all, surely our starting RB from now on. ''Jack Hendry is the worst player I've ever seen in a Celtic shirt,'' said a friend of mine who apparently knows feck all about football ; he was excellent again and slowly outwith Robbo and KT, Hendry and Hanley are my definite starters every time!

Armstrong is a frustrating player. He's very smart, and gets in to some great positions, passes he just squanders far too many good opportunities e.g his corner taking was appalling yesterday, yet cannot fault him for making runs and getting in to good positions, I wouldn't start him, but he's an excellent squad member to have.

Delighted that Adams scored, and Patterson too - hink he scored a screamer for Rangers in Europe too, didn't he? If we could find a RB /LB who could pop in a goal or five would be unbelievable. As excellent as Robertson is, his shot taking is very poor - he seems just to blast it usually at the keeper.

Rambling on, but very little to complain about last night. Defence pretty sound overall yet, we are prone to 1-2 scares a game, and fortunately it was Moldova, and again, we weren't playing world beaters and if you want to go to Qatar then you really need to come here and win, and we did! Midfield to attack looked very promising, and exciting even. We have some pacey players in Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, Adams and potentially J. Brown.

Concern is goals, maybe it'll come, maybe it won't ; but we are slowly becoming a not bad football team. If I were to judge over the last two years, we probably are a team (like Finland, Wales etc) who are worthy of being on the edge of making WCs. A lot will depend on the draw, etc, but we have nothing to fear even if we don't get a top seed - these 1 leg 120 min/pens games I think favour us and smaller nations ; we all ken the Holland 6-1 agg loss, so even if we fall short on Monday of securing a seeding, I wouldn't fear a trip to anyone really, yes it would make it harder, but we seen what we did in Serbia and at Wembley.

On to Monday, overall it looks the Faroes (so far) are the team to have pushed Denmark the most. They needed a 86th min winner in Torshavn like we did, and the Faroese were the first to score against them. Let's hope the Danes lose another record on Monday e.g dropping pts for the first time in the group. Even with suspensions, Qatar secured, I'm sure they will want to get a 100% record, when did a 'smaller' nation do that in qualifying? By smaller, I mean population, Denmark are a great side, but the only teams I recall doing that are nations with big populations - France, Germany, Spain and England - of late.

Anyhoos on to Monday, we can certainly get a point.

FFS that was like War and Peace. 🤣

Seriously, though a great read and spot on.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:14 AM, Orraloon said:

I agree. McTominay is now our utility man who can fit into a number of different positions when somebody else isn't available. A bit like Christian Dailly used to do. He's obviously not quite as good as Christian yet but in time he will probably be better than him.

sure you are - but are you old enough to remember Dailly started off as a striker at Utd when he was 16, and playing in 1st team ? o

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

sure you are - but are you old enough to remember Dailly started off as a striker at Utd when he was 16, and playing in 1st team ? o

I knew young Christian when he was at Menzieshill High. I was one of the reasons he had to play up front for the school team. He wasn't good enough to get a game in midfield and he didn't want to play in defence. 😉