Moldova v Scotland game thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moldova v Scotland game thread

gkm_vancouver

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Don’t bookings carry on into the playoffs?

Another goal could see McGinn & Gilmour booked……. 👀

Yes they do. But we want as few players as possible missing ANY games. We want a result against Denmark to now secure a seeding and to do that we need as many players as possible available. 

1 minute ago, borojock said:

professional performance - Scotland of a few years ago wouldnt have got the job done that easily 

Looking forward to the Danes - shame Paterson missing but see no reason why we couldnt get a draw

Fully agree.

At times there was some lovely link up play as seen in both of our goals. Patterson - WOW. That laddie was immense tonight and toss up between him and McGinn for man of the match. Gilmour oozes class and don't think anyone should be slated after that performance.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The great thing at present is we may miss key players but others come in and carry on the good work. We were without Hanley, Dykes and Christie but we shrugged that off and still got a comfortable win.

Squads shaping up nicely, more to come in over the next few years too

I thought after the first 10 minutes we would win the game. But right on cue they had that big chance after 15mins or so and we then had a ropey 15 mins or so.

Even if they had scored that penalty I had no doubt we would still win.

I am really enjoying watching this team, it is not spectacular but they don’t let you down either. Steve Clarke deserves a huge amount of praise. They all do. Best campaign I can recall for a long time no matter what happens now.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

I thought after the first 10 minutes we would win the game. But right on cue they had that big chance after 15mins or so and we then had a ropey 15 mins or so.

Even if they had scored that penalty I had no doubt we would still win.

I am really enjoying watching this team, it is not spectacular but they don’t let you down either. Steve Clarke deserves a huge amount of praise. They all do. Best campaign I can recall for a long time no matter what happens now.

We do play some lovely stuff at times. Hopefully as the players get more experience and the squad develops, we’ll see it more often, consistently 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Squads shaping up nicely, more to come in over the next few years too

were a class striker away from being a very good team - a Bale or Robbie Keane would be the massive difference 

However completely right squad looking good and a great age as well the only part that really worries me is goalie with Gordon and Marshall in the sunset of their career and no top class keeper coming through thats the part thats got me concerned  

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I thought our set pieces were poor.  We often hit the first man.  They were very poor but we got the job done.

I agree, a couple of decent corners, but otherwise not great

Yes I thought Austin MacPhee was added to the coaching staff in the capacity of set piece expert. But thus far there has been little evidence of variety or creativity in that department. Today we were able to win from  open play, but in tighter games such as Denmark on Monday set pieces could be crucial. This is an area where we definitely can and should improve.

54 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes they do. But we want as few players as possible missing ANY games. We want a result against Denmark to now secure a seeding and to do that we need as many players as possible available. 

Double edged sword really now, we’ve qualified for them, would prefer them to miss Monday than a huge play off game, just have to keep everything in check and not do anything silly hopefully. 

29 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

Yes I thought Austin MacPhee was added to the coaching staff in the capacity of set piece expert. But thus far there has been little evidence of variety or creativity in that department. Today we were able to win from  open play, but in tighter games such as Denmark on Monday set pieces could be crucial. This is an area where we definitely can and should improve.

100% we need to be better on the set pieces were not prolific in open play and need to be much better 

Unfortunately Austin McPhee cant do much though if the players cant clear the 1st man - Turnbull could be important for us in that regard but cant see how he gets in the starting good player but a few slightly ahead of him 

1 hour ago, HighlandScot said:

Not forgetting that we lost 2 goals from set pieces against Israel also and a missed penalty. Has there been much of an improvement? Great goals tonight but need to be more threatening at corners/free-kicks and not give so many away. Anyway tonight is a night to celebrate...🍻🍻